Mail Bouncer - Automated Bounce Management

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I noticed a few problems:

1. I can't seem to whitelist certain member groups. For example, a moderator just got blocked (no idea why). I wish I could whitelist groups. Maybe I missed how to do it? 
  2. When I tried to find that moderator in the list of blocked users, I sorted by "disabled" (date), assuming his would be toward the top (most recent). It didn't show up at all in the list. Then I searched by his username and BOOM, there he was. Something seems very wrong with the column sort feature.
  3. Is there any way to discern WHY a user was blocked exactly? I'm trying to troubleshoot this moderator who got blocked after years of using our forums.  

Still no answer? 😞

I just had a few moderators (who had been members for years) blocked. It seems to have started randomly asking people to re-enter their email (which is what led to one of the moderators getting blocked). Something seems very wrong with Mail Bouncer at this point, and I'm going to have to disable it for now for fear that I'm losing customers/users. I hope it gets fixed soon. 

On 5/28/2019 at 7:53 AM, GreenSock said:

I noticed a few problems:

1. I can't seem to whitelist certain member groups. For example, a moderator just got blocked (no idea why). I wish I could whitelist groups. Maybe I missed how to do it? 
  2. When I tried to find that moderator in the list of blocked users, I sorted by "disabled" (date), assuming his would be toward the top (most recent). It didn't show up at all in the list. Then I searched by his username and BOOM, there he was. Something seems very wrong with the column sort feature.
  3. Is there any way to discern WHY a user was blocked exactly? I'm trying to troubleshoot this moderator who got blocked after years of using our forums.  

1 hour ago, GreenSock said:

Still no answer? 😞

I just had a few moderators (who had been members for years) blocked. It seems to have started randomly asking people to re-enter their email (which is what led to one of the moderators getting blocked). Something seems very wrong with Mail Bouncer at this point, and I'm going to have to disable it for now for fear that I'm losing customers/users. I hope it gets fixed soon. 

Who do you use for sending mail? SparkPost has a suppression list that can be searched by email address. That will tell you why the email was blacklisted. 

I've been using this software for a while, but after IPB switched from using native API for SparkPost and switched to SMTP, i had email addresses added to suppression list but not acted upon by MailBouncer.  When i added https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/9078-sparkpost-integration/ mailBouncer found all suppressed email addresses and thus users received the notices. I had to manually remove them from the suppression lists.

steve k.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to officially lend my support for Amazon SES. 

SparkPost currently costs me $20 / mo on a plan for 50,000 emails (and this was after I suppressed the majority of my email notifications to switch to a lower plan).  The equivalent cost on Amazon SES would be $5 / mo.  This represents cost savings of $180 / yr.  

The cost savings are too big to ignore for independent communities.  

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:33 AM, Joel R said:

I'd like to officially lend my support for Amazon SES. 

SparkPost currently costs me $20 / mo on a plan for 50,000 emails (and this was after I suppressed the majority of my email notifications to switch to a lower plan).  The equivalent cost on Amazon SES would be $5 / mo.  This represents cost savings of $180 / yr.  

The cost savings are too big to ignore for independent communities.  

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:39 AM, PrettyPixels said:

Would also love to see this for Amazon SES.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 9:03 PM, CheersnGears said:

SES for me as well please. 

SES is coming but not immediately (I'm on vacation at the moment).

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 6:46 PM, AlexWebsites said:

I'm moving off sparkpost to amazon ses more than likely. If I cant use the app, what actually happens when you uninstall it? what status do the users end up in?

If you uninstall emails will send normally, but you'll also lose any historical bounce/block information that may be useful when you switch to SES. Leaving it enabled won't hurt anything even if you stop using Sparkpost, end-users that have already had their emails blocked will continue to get their emails blocked until they update their email address (so that aspect will still work based on data already processed)

4 hours ago, stoo2000 said:

SES is coming but not immediately (I'm on vacation at the moment).

If you uninstall emails will send normally, but you'll also lose any historical bounce/block information that may be useful when you switch to SES. Leaving it enabled won't hurt anything even if you stop using Sparkpost, end-users that have already had their emails blocked will continue to get their emails blocked until they update their email address (so that aspect will still work based on data already processed)

Thanks for the update and info. So if you don't have SES by September (when sparkpost ends free plans), can I still switch and use Amazon SES SMTP and just leave this app in place? It just won't pull any new info, correct? 

Will Amazon SES be via API or SMTP? 

• 4 weeks later...

I am moving to SES in the next day or two. Finally go the email from Sparkpost. Going from ~80/mo -> $170/mo if I stuck around. SES should be ~$30. 

They requested I setup Simple Notification Service (SNS) in order to increase my limit to the 20k/day emails. Not sure if your app would have some sort of API that could suck in the SNS messages and process them. 

Im willing to chip in some $ if that would make the project move faster. Feel free to PM me. Thanks!

I keep getting this message on my admin account: Your current email address is no longer accepting email, please enter your new email address to continue.

Which is untrue, its still the same gmail account I have had for ever and its not rejecting anything.

Please help, this is annoying.