Mail Bouncer - Automated Bounce Management

On 5/30/2018 at 5:30 PM, cybernck said:

Hi, considering your app can put a Validating flag on users (which stock IPS can't do now-days), would it be possible to use it manually rather than integrated with SendGrid etc?

What I mean is that I've recently sent out a newsletter to my users and about 1000 email addresses no longer seem to be valid (a whopping 18% of all email addresses!).

Naturally, I'd like to put these users back to Validation - would you application be able to do it going by a list? Or would you be able to code something like that for me?

Or can it integrate with cPanel email log perhaps? ?

Many thanks.

I'm actually doing that for exact reason. I had many older account long gone. Then have an old post being revived and now emailing these account with bounced emails or marked as spam because they are no longer part of the website. So instead of hunting down the emails I send out as newsletter once a month and let the Mail Bouncer filter out the email. Now I've got a clean email database and no longer have to worry about spam or bounce issues. 

I don't think this plugin can work on its own because of the lack of information from the normal email server and no API connection. 

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 12:30 AM, cybernck said:

Hi, considering your app can put a Validating flag on users (which stock IPS can't do now-days), would it be possible to use it manually rather than integrated with SendGrid etc?

What I mean is that I've recently sent out a newsletter to my users and about 1000 email addresses no longer seem to be valid (a whopping 18% of all email addresses!).

Naturally, I'd like to put these users back to Validation - would you application be able to do it going by a list? Or would you be able to code something like that for me?

Or can it integrate with cPanel email log perhaps? ?

Many thanks.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 4:14 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm actually doing that for exact reason. I had many older account long gone. Then have an old post being revived and now emailing these account with bounced emails or marked as spam because they are no longer part of the website. So instead of hunting down the emails I send out as newsletter once a month and let the Mail Bouncer filter out the email. Now I've got a clean email database and no longer have to worry about spam or bounce issues. 

I don't think this plugin can work on its own because of the lack of information from the normal email server and no API connection. 

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:54 PM, cybernck said:

I don't need it to work in a closed loop, I just need it to put users into validation, going by a simple list of expired email address :).

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:31 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

That's all I'm doing exactly. The newsletter is the trigger to send email to the entire email list. Now if it bounces or marked as spam then the account is set to Validation. 

@Mopar1973Man has got the correct solution here, this app works best when it's constantly processing based on real-time feedback from the email gateways. Actions are taken depending on what that feedback is, whether it's a warning, requiring a new email address to be set or a message regarding flagging emails as spam (with education instructions to point the user in the right direction to unsubscribe). Additionally, not all failures you may see are critical enough to instantly stop sending emails out, there can be temporary issues that work themselves out.

Yes, I understand that. Your application is amazing but I've given up using SendGrid etc due to mail delivery issues.

Either way, would you be able to code a simple app that would put users to validation going by a list of email addresses?

They are mostly 550 errors therefore quite permanent.

Thanks.

Edited by cybernck
5 minutes ago, cybernck said:

This is where I came from. I got sick and tired of fighting with Hotmail and Gmail over 550 error mostly stating that no longer going to send email to any account permanently. Now with the error codes present you need to clean up your email problem and contact the email provider and go there hoops and loops to resolve your 550 error code. Sorry to say after two times around I lost my first IP address to Hotmail permanently this stopped me from sending email completely for a time. 

Now when I got fired up with @stoo2000 Mail Bouncer I was set up still on SparkPost which was easy to setup and worked instantly. The first pass I wiped out a ton load of email accounts. Now after the 4.3.x update we got forced to move to SendGrdi which was more of a PITA to handle and setup IMHO. Now once its set up I'm still sending newsletters out monthly to capture that rogue email addresses that are floating on the website. 

No longer have to filter out user into groups to ditch the older accounts and prevent sending email to the dead account.

Still, in all your 550 codes have to be fixed first. Then you can get to use the Mail Bouncer. Again I doubt Mail Bouncer will work with a standard email server because of the lack of API connection.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:18 AM, cybernck said:

Yes, I understand that. Your application is amazing but I've given up using SendGrid etc due to mail delivery issues.

Either way, would you be able to code a simple app that would put users to validation going by a list of email addresses?

Thanks.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:31 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

This is where I came from. I got sick and tired of fighting with Hotmail and Gmail over 550 error mostly stating that no longer going to send email to any account permanently. Now with the error codes present you need to clean up your email problem and contact the email provider and go there hoops and loops to resolve your 550 error code. Sorry to say after two times around I lost my first IP address to Hotmail permanently this stopped me from sending email completely for a time. 

Now when I got fired up with @stoo2000 Mail Bouncer I was set up still on SparkPost which was easy to setup and worked instantly. The first pass I wiped out a ton load of email accounts. Now after the 4.3.x update we got forced to move to SendGrdi which was more of a PITA to handle and setup IMHO. Now once its set up I'm still sending newsletters out monthly to capture that rogue email addresses that are floating on the website. 

No longer have to filter out user into groups to ditch the older accounts and prevent sending email to the dead account.

Still, in all your 550 codes have to be fixed first. Then you can get to use the Mail Bouncer. Again I doubt Mail Bouncer will work with a standard email server because of the lack of API connection.

The whole automated approach is the aim of the app, you shouldn't have to worry about it or have to interact with anything. I could add a button to user profiles to force an email change though.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 3:11 AM, AlexWebsites said:

In 4.3 with sparkpost being removed and now connected through sparkpost smtp, are email bounces still able to be processed using sparkpost and smtp vs their API? 

Yes, it still works as normal.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, if this app places members into a validating status, will their account be deleted if they don't validate?  I have the "remove unvalidated accounts" setting at 15 days.  This was to delete folks that register but never confirm -- I worry it may nix valid accounts that have old emails and are flagged by this tool.  Is there an issue?

7 hours ago, Fast Lane! said:

Hi all, if this app places members into a validating status, will their account be deleted if they don't validate?  I have the "remove unvalidated accounts" setting at 15 days.  This was to delete folks that register but never confirm -- I worry it may nix valid accounts that have old emails and are flagged by this tool.  Is there an issue?

No it doesn't. Invision Community only deletes accounts that are validating on registration.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Wolf said:

I don't wish to use an external service, but I would at least like to flag and send bad emails to the validation queue. If you are able to implement this, I will purchase.

I would love to see this happen for another website in which I manage for the owner. He not capable at this time to afford email service like Sendgrid and on a shoestring budget. It would be awesome to have email checking for the own local server email. 

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:34 AM, pequeno said:

Good plugin, but I need it to be compatible with Amazon SES . Are there future plans for this?

It's potentially on the radar, to be honest I haven't yet seen enough demand for Amazon SES to dedicate the development time to implementing it and supporting it.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 6:53 AM, Wolf said:

Are there any plans to allow the setting and checking of an on-server bounce address? This was a feature that Xenforo had that I miss. I don't wish to use an external service, but I would at least like to flag and send bad emails to the validation queue. If you are able to implement this, I will purchase.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:14 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

I would love to see this happen for another website in which I manage for the owner. He not capable at this time to afford email service like Sendgrid and on a shoestring budget. It would be awesome to have email checking for the own local server email. 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:09 AM, Cyboman said:

If this would be possible, I'd directly purchase this plugin 🙂 💲💲💲

I will consider it, it goes against one of the original ideas behind the app in that it is not something you need to configure for it to work. You install it and it just works if you use one of the supported services already.

21 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

I am getting this connection error in ACP. Also created a support ticket #872 on Monday regarding this. Any ideas how to proceed?

image.png.abfdd4c235fb22cb98e4005bdc5afa70.png

I have replied to your support ticket. Sorry for the delay.

9 minutes ago, stoo2000 said:

I will consider it, it goes against one of the original ideas behind the app in that it is not something you need to configure for it to work. You install it and it just works if you use one of the supported services already.

Just make the local mail server a supported service et voila :)

P.S. Another person in the queue.

14 hours ago, stoo2000 said:
On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:09 AM, Cyboman said:

If this would be possible, I'd directly purchase this plugin 🙂 💲💲💲

I have some thoughts about the importance of such an enhancement ->

• rule: dont destroy your quality email quota in advance on any paid service platform, your paid email service provider will punish you for initial misuse frequency. If I could prepare in advance, and pass the criteria with a good score, lets do it.
  • why spending money on services, better save hundreds of bucks if you can do the sending yourself. means such an enhancement is really valuable
  • if you expand your app, you will reach all customers (full spectrum, it will go gold)

🏆

18 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

While I wait for @stoo2000 to reply to the ticket, does anyone know how to create a new sparkpost webhook for this app to use? I deleted the webhook in sparkpost when I was troubleshooting this and reading this topic, it looks like this app creates the webhook. Is there a way to manually do this?

It apparently will recreate itself automatically. 

50 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

It apparently will recreate itself automatically. 

Yeah, that's not happening for me but I think @stoo2000 is going to help me out and look at it through his support ticket. Not sure what's going on or maybe it's something on my end with the API, because I created a new one for this plugin by  @HeadStand and assumed bouncer would use the API now instead of SMTP. Something is funky.

w

47 minutes ago, AlexWebsites said:

Yeah, that's not happening for me but I think @stoo2000 is going to help me out and look at it through his support ticket. Not sure what's going on or maybe it's something on my end with the API, because I created a new one for this plugin by  @HeadStand and assumed bouncer would use the API now instead of SMTP. Something is funky.

w

It most likely will not automatically work with it. I'll have to talk to @stoo2000 to see what I can do to make it compatible.

4 hours ago, AlexWebsites said:

w

3 hours ago, HeadStand said:

It most likely will not automatically work with it. I'll have to talk to @stoo2000 to see what I can do to make it compatible.

It'll be supported from the next release. @AlexWebsites had a pre-release of that code, however it was still finding the 'stock' sparkpost api key setting before seeing that a third party application was present with an api key. I've changed that so it'll work properly (and as I note, be in the next release).

On 1/30/2019 at 5:06 PM, stoo2000 said:

It'll be supported from the next release. @AlexWebsites had a pre-release of that code, however it was still finding the 'stock' sparkpost api key setting before seeing that a third party application was present with an api key. I've changed that so it'll work properly (and as I note, be in the next release).

Thank you @stoo2000, seems to be working now!