Mail Bouncer - Automated Bounce Management

As always, you're more than welcome to submit a support ticket on my site for assistance.

@SJ77 I would recommend submitting a ticket with access information so I can look at that, in all likely hood the provider you're using has been temporarily blacklisted with Gmail/Microsoft (this tends to happen fairly often with SendGrid when using their shared IPs).

The 4.5 version should be approved available sometime this week.

9 hours ago, SJ77 said:

I think this has something to do with it..

But for now I have loads of users who have been blocked out. How do I clear everyone from this mail bounce plug in to give them a fresh start?

Thank you 🙂

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/gmail-pretty-broken-now-one-224052039.html?guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAACnR2fFtfuwzQg_SegN5rMz4_OObdxqk2b8qgSbfRo-0m3u1VzUY3DIAobPxS-V1B2WAZKOP_eFuZxdGa0DeGTNs9qjWGUjzxrI5FeqB9O8cLSCaD7gJxXY1g1jtR36YCpIjngvLJ2ZpAmNUUNICMG7tgQUbfIn0Y40y12Fa5iU-

On the statistics page, each user has an 'unblock' button. You'll need to do them one by one though.

I will add a feature suggestion to allow you to do more at a time, however some email platforms will also lower your reputation for removing addresses from the providers own block list.

11 minutes ago, stoo2000 said:

On the statistics page, each user has an 'unblock' button. You'll need to do them one by one though.

I will add a feature suggestion to allow you to do more at a time, however some email platforms will also lower your reputation for removing addresses from the providers own block list.

as someone has already posted

When I go to manually unblock a member I'm getting

2S119/1 The CSRF protection key did not match. This may indicate a plugin or theme is out of date. Please contact technical support for more information.

is it possible to get this app upgraded asp or at the very least a hack to get manually unblocking working

as due to the recent google gmail issue have had to switch this app off  till can unblock all the blocked gmail members

thanks

11 minutes ago, sound said:

is it possible to get this app upgraded asp or at the very least a hack to get manually unblocking working

as due to the recent google gmail issue have had to switch this app off  till can unblock all the blocked gmail members

I have sent you an email 🙂

I'm waiting to get further access to look at SJ77's site to see what the exact bounce messages were from the Gmail incident. It seems odd (although I guess not unexpected if it thought those accounts did not exist) that Gmail would send out hard bounces when experiencing a temporary global outage.

4 hours ago, CheersnGears said:

Also, sorting by date disabled doesn't work properly.  I haven't quite figured out the pattern of what it is doing.

But it doesn't seem to be in any particular order. 

Hmm okay, I've opened a bug report to make sure I review that and fix.

The issue with Gmail is really an issue with Gmail, as noted above in the topic @Paul E. linked to, Gmail was sending out error messages indicating a permanent error (account does not exist). SES saw that and added that to their bounce statistics, then passed on the 'hard' bounce to SNS. All-in-all the software side of things worked very well and acted on that data. Unfortunately, GMail was sending out bad data.

• 2 weeks later...

I've setup Amazon SES and SNS to the best of my abilities (considering I've never used these services before), but when I try to setup SMTP to point to the Amazon server, I get a "Connection Refused" message from the ACP, and then any emails it attempts to send also get the "Connection Refused" message without further details..  The ACP reported,

IPS\Email\Outgoing\Exception: Connection refused (111)

I am using Cloudflare, and I did setup the bypass firewall rule for the endpoint, but I'm not even getting that far. 

I have the right SMTP credentials entered in the ACP:

ACP_SMTP_Settings.thumb.png.e191f2e3a84544aac7ec27665029a25f.png

Screenshot on Amazon (not too useful, since I'm not going to show the actual credentials):

AmazonSES_SMTP.thumb.png.03d8c10e6493afd9d6dffb82de9b0637.png

Domain and email (editor@atariage.com, which is the email address used by the forum) are setup and verified.  I sent a test message from within SES and received it fine. 

I have notifications setup as follows:

AmazonSES_Notifications.thumb.png.4df392ac7a39c0f61a7737dd047db979.png

Topic subscription is setup as follows:

Subscription.thumb.png.ca002bc4a4e68d2e2db12004a7e3adaf.png

Here's the endpoint firewall rule I setup in Cloudflare.  Haven't setup anything else there related to this yet:

Cloudflare_Firewall.thumb.png.16549e9f23aa33aaaabd31ba4188955b.png

Any insight anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.  Hopefully it's something simple I'm missing..

Thank you and take care!

Edited by AtariAge

After playing with this some more, I'm pretty sure Amazon SES/SNS is setup properly, but I simply cannot get past the "Connection Refused" when I attempt to use Amazon's SMTP server with my credentials. 

I was able to use this page to manually test sending emails on the command line from the same server, so it's not a firewall issue, either:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/send-email-smtp-client-command-line.html

That worked without issues.  I have no idea why it's failing when going through the forum.  I did have one instance where Amazon started sending emails even though I still received the "Connection Refused" report from the ACP, and there were even two bounces for which I received bounce emails from Amazon and Mail Bouncer did catch them as well:

mail_bouncer_bounces.thumb.png.ab7be0de65b53decdbc841c71506645d.png

However, try as I might, I simply cannot get the ACP setup without getting the errors.  I'm not sure why it worked briefly one time, even though the ACP still reported the refused connection.  I also looked through Amazon SES and could not see anything in the way of an error log that might provide some insight, nor do I see anything like that in the ACP.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can try to resolve this?

Thanks!

..Al

I finally got this working.  I ended up installing PHPMailer and writing a PHP script to send mail using the same parameters the forum should be using.  When I turned full debugging on, I could clearly see that the server was blocking the outgoing requests.. 

I then dug through the WHM firewall settings more carefully, and saw several related to SMTP..  Including this one:

1726952406_ScreenShot2020-12-29at7_45_16PM.thumb.png.ad98da634d21094ac2bdd343a52884c9.png

After turning this off, it all worked magically.  I'll be monitoring it for a while to make sure A) I'm still getting emails from the forum and B) The bounces are being properly captured and accounts are disabled.

I definitely should create a guide for this to save others from the headaches I ran into! 

Seems to be working well so far, it's already blocked for members for having bad emails, and I know there are tons more.  Hopefully this will help cleanup my mail reputation so Gmail and other providers stop dumping mails from my domain into users' spam folders!

..Al

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, sobrenome said:

Knock Emily Browning GIF by American Gods

I'm sorry I missed your reply. but again I'll say (like I have on every reply I've made here recently)

As usual, if you have any issues you're still more than welcome to submit a support ticket on my site for assistance.

Please go ahead and submit a ticket and we'll get your issue fixed 🙂

• 3 weeks later...