Leaving community after 18 years :(

Elon Report

I've been using IPB since 2006 with the MSSQL driver.   I was always attracted to the flexibility of the platform with minimal programming.

Recently tech support has become more difficult.  It's harder to find code examples and removing the marketplace killed a creativity source for me.   I had a stroke a few years ago, so my development skills are retarded, but still I believe this is one of the poorer organized forms in regards to technical documentation.

A wiki, kept up to date by your community, would really help in development IMHO.

Good luck all!

Martin

On 11/12/2023 at 6:58 PM, MartinLawrence said:

I've been using IPB since 2006 with the MSSQL driver.   I was always attracted to the flexibility of the platform with minimal programming.

Recently tech support has become more difficult.  It's harder to find code examples and removing the marketplace killed a creativity source for me.   I had a stroke a few years ago, so my development skills are retarded, but still I believe this is one of the poorer organized forms in regards to technical documentation.

A wiki, kept up to date by your community, would really help in development IMHO.

Good luck all!

Martin

Hi Martin, 

I've really attempted to use IPS for my big gaming community but honestly, at this point, I have to agree. IPS seems to be moving to appeal to corporate websites with things like (courses) instead of focusing on what other forum sites do. It seems that awesome features I loved are being removed like the integrated support system and more. With the marketplace being removed it is removing a good and awesome opportunity for developers to make money. I am going to start to begin to move to another forum site. 

It is really starting to become more effort than it is worth. Not to mention costlier still. Useful feature after useful feature that makes a community a community slowly gets taken away eg chat and marketplace. So what is the point? Great for corporations sure.

What are the best modern alternatives to IPS now? Any that support easy conversions?

Marketplace was really good option to find everything in one spot. Now i need to register on 20 different sites and half I don't even remember. 

It's like Apple telling to it's customer, here take iPhone. You want apps? Go on developers site and install from their. Jeez, what a nightmare. 

Take care of your health. Rest everything will go on. 

PS I am one of the customers who is unhappy because support/ticket system is gone and have to deal with broken donation system in store. 

Edited by AlexJ

Good luck Martin and my best wishes.

Way back before 2001 IP forum was free, and indeed need add on to make it shine, but the design was clean so I use it, do not know when it start to be a payment software but I recall I registered here 2002. (yes it say here 2005 but that @Matt fault by combine my 2 accounts) 🙂

The marketplace did not come that time, most of my modifications was custom one.

IPS still great and shine with it support personals, some left, some are here and some join lately, they are great and that to my point of view worth it all. I am not a cloud customer, but self hosted one.

IPS like a woman, you do not maybe love or hate, but they are no escape.

On 12/3/2023 at 8:12 AM, abobader said:

IPS like a woman, you do not maybe love or hate, but they are no escape.

Exactly.

They won't always be Randy, but once you know what you're doing and how to push the right buttons, you will receive lots of positive reactions.

I think the management team also offer courses now, but don't quote me on this. 

Just don't let them treat you like a door Matt, plenty more available on the Marketplace......wait, forget that, just don't be afraid to reach out for support when you need it.

I think this has probably gone a little off topic now. 

Martin - Good luck to whatever you do in the future, and thank you for you feedback. Always appreciated 🙂

For any other items, please feel free to use the feedback forum, or indeed the deprecation discussion where some of these items have been discussed at length.