Hump Day: new live community features

Could contain: Word, Text, Alphabet, Logo, Symbol, Trademark

Happy Hump Day, team! Back by popular demand. 😎

I want to put a few of our forthcoming live community features onto your radar. These new live features are designed to encourage members to further engage with the community. Check these out:

Who’s Typing

Could contain: Text, Person, Human

We just implemented a live Who’s Typing feature into our own community. If you're quick, you’ll see a member typing a reply in real time when going to submit your own reply at the form located near the bottom of the topic. 

Who’s Viewing

Could contain: File, Text, Business Card, Paper

We implemented a live Who's Viewing feature into topics on our community as well. This may sound familiar to you - we already created a "Recently Browsing" block that shows what members are viewing a topic, however that block was a snapshot over a small chunk of time. The new Who's Viewing feature shows what members are viewing a topic (and when they leave) in the present moment.   

Image search analysis

Could contain: Text, File, Webpage

We're also improving our native search by automatically informing the platform to look for items featured in photos.

In this example, @Matt posted a photo of an apple in a topic. 

I used the search tool and looked up the word "apple" and voila! The platform found his image of an apple. The new smart learning technology will identify as many keywords as possible in an image to make searching faster, more efficient and accurate. 

Speaking of Matt... he published a new dev blog about some of the things to expect in the near future, including updating the minimum PHP requirement to 7.4 and the recommended version to 8.0, as well as working on PHP 8.1 compatibility for a June release.  

As he mentioned, there will not be a May update release, however June's is already looking extra spicy.

See all the updates that are coming.

It's worth mentioning the live community features will be available on our standard plans. If that sounds of interest to you, please feel free to reach out to me. We do have some new features in the works for self-hosted clients as well, but more on that later. 

PS - we're testing out a new sentiment analysis feature that scores a topic based on how positive, neutral or negative it is. Let's keep this one as high-vibe and positive as possible please. I'd love to get a high score. 😇 

Let us know what you think in the comments! We're looking forward to hearing from you. 

Will all these features only be available on cloud subscriptions ?

I get it for image analysis and sentiment analysis but i would expect who's viewing and who's typing to be available on self hosted as i don't see any AI in there :).

• Management
4 hours ago, jesuralem said:

Will all these features only be available on cloud subscriptions ?

I get it for image analysis and sentiment analysis but i would expect who's viewing and who's typing to be available on self hosted as i don't see any AI in there :).

Those features do not use PHP/MySQL so do require a more advanced setup that cannot be done on self hosted environments. 

So, this is for cloud only.

This will be available to the hi end people who probably spend many hundreds / thousands a month and never post here.

How many hobby sites can afford 149 dollars a month?

Not sure how many self-hosted customers you have, but I suspect that is who read these posts, and yet, it will not be available to us.  Not sure why I would be excited by this.

Kinda feels like a poke in the eye to be honest.

Edited by Square Wheels

• Management
15 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

So, this is for cloud only.

This will be available to the hi end people who probably spend many hundreds / thousands a month and never post here.

How many hobby sites can afford 149 dollars a month?

Not sure how many self-hosted customers you have, but I suspect that is who read these posts, and yet, it will not be available to us.  Not sure why I would be excited by this.

Kinda feels like a poke in the eye to be honest.

I understand why you feel like this. For 20 years we've been a downloadable source company and everything has been focused around that.

However, we have to move with the times. As people demand more interactivity and sophistication from apps, we need to use technologies outside of a standard "LAMP" stack offered by most self hosting companies. A small number of customers have the ability to set up a PHP server, a MySQL server, a Node server, Redis, and configure authentication systems including WAF and CDN, most do not and when you rent out that much hardware, the cost per month won't be far from one of our platform costs.

Social media platforms have increased expectation of what a modern web app can do. Leveraging cloud architecture allows us to develop features that can compete on a UI level.

8 minutes ago, Jordan Miller said:

I took a screen shot when it was at 💯 just in case. 

Could contain: Text, Person, Human, Page

Worth noting that "Sentiment" is only there as we test out the system, that's not final UI. 🤣 

• Management
23 minutes ago, nodle said:

Are you guys testing a new algorithm that can detect Positive/Neutral/Negative posts based off keywords and images that are posted and then incorporate this to something like trending topics or even auto moderiation?

We're using an AWS service to return sentiment based on the content of the posts. We can then do an average to find the sentiment for the topic.

Eventually, we'll look at building out guided moderation features based on this, and concepts such as alerting moderators to topics trending negatively, etc. It's an expensive service, so it'll be a feature on our top tier packages.

@Matt Finger has been writing python code on our cloud platform to crunch the numbers and aggregate them so we can view trends over time.

9 hours ago, Charles said:

Those features do not use PHP/MySQL so do require a more advanced setup that cannot be done on self hosted environments. 

Well that's a lie, it's hardly beyond most people's means to use an AWS Access and Secret key for the self-hosted client to talk with services such as Rekognition and Comprehend...

4 hours ago, Talisman12 said:

Well that's a lie, it's hardly beyond most people's means to use an AWS Access and Secret key for the self-hosted client to talk with services such as Rekognition and Comprehend...

Sorry wrong. Sure you could do that for YOUR own instance but you would need to configure it (and know how) what settings need applied etc. 

You’re making the assumption that people know how to use these services, how to configure it, and have yet another service to manually manage and not be able to guess/predict costs for. 

It is not just a simple matter of copy paste an IAM credential.