MS IE warning

Egorkin

It turns out there are still those who use Internet Explorer! And they went crazy when they came on my forum 4.5. I think IPS should have done them a warning instead of a curve layout... At least the plugin was, and then you will have to insert a hard core PHP :-)

13 minutes ago, Egorkin said:

It turns out there are still those who use Internet Explorer! And they went crazy when they came on my forum 4.5. I think IPS should have done them a warning instead of a curve layout... At least the plugin was, and then you will have to insert a hard core PHP 🙂

Not sure what the bit about PHP is, yet just testing on IE 11, and can confirm that it is a highly degraded experience for IE users on 4.5 as compared to 4.4.

For those in corporate environments where the choice of browser may be locked down, this is certainly less than ideal. IPS did announce stopping support of IE.

Wow, what a mess.  Glad I saw this.  Is there a popup I can create if the user is detected using IE to suggest their viewing experience will be horrible and they should use a different browser?  On one of my site, they people are brilliant laboratories, but many struggle with computers.  Don't want them getting frustrated and leaving.

It may be enough to insert at the beginning index.php something like that? 🧒

if(stripos($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'],'MSIE')!==false || stripos($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'],'Trident')!==false) exit('Microsoft Internet Explorer is no longer supported. Please use the latest versions of modern browsers!');

Edited by Egorkin

Just now, Egorkin said:

We are only talking about IE, and they are all no longer supported 🧒

Actually not only IE but all browsers which do not support modern features like CSS Custom Properties, etc. Sticking to IE in these checks is a bad idea.

16 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Wow, what a mess.  Glad I saw this.  Is there a popup I can create if the user is detected using IE to suggest their viewing experience will be horrible and they should use a different browser?  On one of my site, they people are brilliant laboratories, but many struggle with computers.  Don't want them getting frustrated and leaving.

A possible solution could run along the lines of what you're saying. IPB could consider detecting IE, providing a pop up that says something like

"IE is not supported and it's recommended to upgrade to a more secure / modern browser for your safety. We can not provide a webpage to IE users, please try another up to date browser like the latest version of Google Chrome, Firefox, or MS Edge to view this page."

Then automatically dither the page so it can't be viewed.

Just a suggestion, may not be a ideal suggestion and maybe someone has a better idea.

46 minutes ago, DesignzShop said:

A possible solution could run along the lines of what you're saying. IPB could consider detecting IE, providing a pop up that says something like

"IE is not supported and it's recommended to upgrade to a more secure / modern browser for your safety. We can not provide a webpage to IE users, please try another up to date browser like the latest version of Google Chrome, Firefox, or MS Edge to view this page."

Then automatically dither the page so it can't be viewed.

Just a suggestion, may not be a ideal suggestion and maybe someone has a better idea.

Again, to a different developer (not expecting IPS to help here), wanna consider an app for us (me)?

The site I'm worried about:

image.thumb.png.5c39e9758bc1c3a4727e2d0dad597046.png

The easiest way to filter all ancient browsers from the IE epoch is just checking if CSS or CSS.supports are missed, because it present in all modern browsers and Edge 12+.

if (typeof(CSS) === "undefined" || typeof(CSS.supports) === "undefined") {
	// Here you can do whatever you want to the visitors with ancient browsers from the IE epoch
	console.log('Your browser is out of date');
}

Edited by Mr 13

If the idiot insists on using IE11 here is a script to try. 

<script> 
var $buoop = {required:{e:-4,f:-3,o:-3,s:-1,c:-3},insecure:true,api:2020.09 }; 
function $buo_f(){ 
 var e = document.createElement("script"); 
 e.src = "//browser-update.org/update.min.js"; 
 document.body.appendChild(e);
};
try {document.addEventListener("DOMContentLoaded", $buo_f,false)}
catch(e){window.attachEvent("onload", $buo_f)}
</script>

Found here.

https://browser-update.org/#install

As someone who uses IE 11 I can confirm that I noticed an immediate and massive degrade in my performance even just using the official IPS site as soon as they switched over to 4.5. I can virtually use nothing on this site now unless I use Firefox.. I can't even post topics, dismiss cookie banners or anything. Now I can handle it for one site if I actually need support on here, and occasionally having to switch over to Firefox, but if IPS have curbed support for IE 11 (that's what I'm assuming this means) then it means there's no way I can upgrade my own forum knowing these issues exist.

If it wasn't for the sake that I needed to use this site already, I'd just avoid it altogether.

3 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Careful with that - it itself is out of date, with some recent versions of browsers not listed, and it flags up later versions as 'out of date' too...example:

image.png.f90956950f51e6fc205ccdc79630061f.png

Follow the example update buttons and it will come to a yellow and orange striped box

Read the comment inside.

This is the page that is shown to visitors with an out-of-date browser after they clicked the notification to update their browser. This is not the information for your currently used browser.

Remember at this point you are just testing the script.