a real home page? it's possible ?

annadaa

of any number of sites when we are members (banks, e commerce, ...), well we have a personalized home page with everything we need to know or have access on a single screen ...

is it possible to do the same on IPS with Widgets rather than having menus everywhere (profile, my attachment, account setting, pm, notification, create ....)

a home page where you can see everything all at once rather than having to click everywhere ...

because I think it is time that the main page is no longer the page of the forum sections for members, but a page offering only what the member needs to know, again, and if he needs to learn more this is where he will then go to the page of all the categories of the forum ...

thanks.

45 minutes ago, annadaa said:

because I think it is time that the main page is no longer the page of the forum sections for members …

I agree, but you can set any page you want already. What would make sense depends on the specific community. I have two communities where the “Latest Activity” feed from the discovery module is the homepage and one where a Pages database with latest articles is the homepage. 

Regarding the personalized widgets, there is a lot you can do with custom blocks on a Pages page, but you would have to be more specific what you would like to see in order to answer if it is possible already. 

Just now, opentype said:

Je suis d'accord, mais vous pouvez déjà définir n'importe quelle page que vous souhaitez. Ce qui aurait du sens dépend de la communauté spécifique. J'ai deux communautés où le flux «Dernière activité» du module de découverte est la page d'accueil et celui où une base de données Pages avec les derniers articles est la page d'accueil. 

En ce qui concerne les widgets personnalisés, il y a beaucoup de choses que vous pouvez faire avec des blocs personnalisés sur une page Pages, mais vous devrez être plus précis sur ce que vous aimeriez voir afin de répondre si c'est déjà possible. 

currently you have to go to the menus and navigate between different pages, click everywhere to have information that you may have directly before your eyes.

Rather than having to navigate between the page of private messages and viewing notificationsn put them on one page.

Now, when you are on a site and log in, what is most important to have in front of you? the name of the forum categories or your latest messages, the latest notifications, your private messages, the subjects in which you participated in priority, ...

a personalized page with specific needs

sorry but these widgets don't exist

It sounds like you want something like a dashboard for your users?

It's an interesting concept and not hard to do if you know what data you want to display and know how to make the widgets.

It would be like a member page where you see things like:

• Notifications
  • Private Messages
  • Unread content
  • Members I follow
  • Bookmarked Content (if you have some form of bookmarks or lists plugin)
  • Important Notices (perhaps from a dedicated forum or blog?)
  • Support tickets
  • My Orders
  • ...whatever else is relevant for your site

This would show up after you login and then you can have it in the member droplist as a "My Dashboard"?

Is that how you see it?

On 4/8/2020 at 11:11 AM, annadaa said:

a home page where you can see everything all at once rather than having to click everywhere ...

I've been thinking about this for a while now... but it's not just about the home page. I believe it's a matter rendering content in context.

So for example widgets could respond to something intrinsic such as current user  - which would give you the home page example, but also, if for example widgets could respond to a url parameter then we could have the same page render in different ways depending on the url. 

2 hours ago, Jimi Wikman said:

On dirait que vous voulez quelque chose comme un tableau de bord pour vos utilisateurs?

C'est un concept intéressant et pas difficile à faire si vous savez quelles données vous souhaitez afficher et comment créer les widgets.

Ce serait comme une page de membre où vous voyez des choses comme:

• Notifications
  • Private Messages
  • Contenu non lu
  • Membres que je suis
  • Contenu mis en signet (si vous avez une forme de plugin de signets ou de listes)
  • Avis importants (peut-être d'un forum ou d'un blog dédié?)
  • Billets d'assistance
  • Mes commandes
  • ... tout ce qui est pertinent pour votre site

Cela apparaîtra après votre connexion et vous pourrez ensuite l'avoir dans la liste déroulante des membres en tant que "Mon tableau de bord"?

Est-ce ainsi que vous le voyez?

yes great that's exactly it ....

21 minutes ago, Joy Rex said:

I'm surprised Pages doesn't come with a built-in template for this already...

Pages is meant as a stepping stone so you can create your own with ease. Leaving you to create whatever you can imagine.

You could however use Invision's simple guide:

Or use something like this:

For people like me who don't know how to code then these two options have helped greatly. While not quite what you're after you can certainly set permissions and content to certain groups.

there is a fairly light add on from a competitor, but this is what it might look like :

000021.PNG.3da08d794b796435b4d14ba8cc13076d.PNG

it would be so much more pleasant to be welcomed on such a page, than on the forums and menus section

an interesting add on that has not been mentioned:

I created a home page for my site using the Pages app - it fulfils a lot of what you're asking for and there is probably more you can add depending on exactly what it is you want, but I'm guessing you want it more personalised for a single member when they log in - is that correct?  You can see my home page @ https://startrekgate.co.uk and I imagine a lot of people using IPS have similar homepages bringing in different content.

46 minutes ago, Davyc said:

I created a home page for my site using the Pages app - it fulfils a lot of what you're asking for and there is probably more you can add depending on exactly what it is you want, but I'm guessing you want it more personalised for a single member when they log in - is that correct?  You can see my home page @ https://startrekgate.co.uk and I imagine a lot of people using IPS have similar homepages bringing in different content.

yes that's right, a personalized page for each member.

The more personalized it is, the lighter the content will be, especially if it contains only interesting information, and without archives.

it's going to your home page, I find it not too heavy despite a lot of information, it is surely the images that lighten the visual quite well.

When I did tests with my home page, I was told each time, that it is heavy, too much information ... and they get lost quickly.

There should be a home page with a minimum of content, and a maximum of personalized information.

6 hours ago, Davyc said:

Very nice homepage Davyc 🙂

On my website I have a more traditional setup, but I also have dedicated sections where I pull in data related to that section:
https://jimiwikman.se/

A Section:
https://jimiwikman.se/design/

The concept of having a dashboard like overview is not a bad idea, but it would require a custom plugin I think as you probably want the users to define what is important to them...

10 hours ago, annadaa said:

yes that's right, a personalized page for each member.

That's what I thought - as @Jimi Wikman stated above you would require a plugin for this and I'm not 100% sure if one is available to do everything that you want but it may be possible to put something together with a variety of plugins but I'm guessing still not giving you exactly what you want.  I'd put this to the developers who are willing to take on such a project and see what they can do and what they will charge.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2020 at 6:48 AM, Jimi Wikman said:

Very nice homepage Davyc 🙂

On my website I have a more traditional setup, but I also have dedicated sections where I pull in data related to that section:
https://jimiwikman.se/

A Section:
https://jimiwikman.se/design/

The concept of having a dashboard like overview is not a bad idea, but it would require a custom plugin I think as you probably want the users to define what is important to them...

Love the homepage setup. The hero bloc section on all the pages - is this some plugin? How do I achieve this result?

On 4/9/2020 at 6:54 PM, annadaa said:

there is a fairly light add on from a competitor, but this is what it might look like :

000021.PNG.3da08d794b796435b4d14ba8cc13076d.PNG

it would be so much more pleasant to be welcomed on such a page, than on the forums and menus section

That would be a very welcome feature, I think. It's a good way of personalising a homepage for the member.