Pages in Clubs?

Koper74

Community within the community sums it up perfectly.  It really says it all. 

Everything you would want or need to do with the site as a whole, you literally need in clubs. 

opentypes suggestion of education/courses, combined with commerce alone is more than enough justification for it. 

Adding front-end Pages elements to Clubs has to be a no brainier. IPS said it would be added later when Clubs were announced.

The drag & drop WYSIWYG content block

I think the majority of clients would first make use of the Pages front-end WYSIWYG block, to have blocks of cacheable content including text and images which they can drag where they want, into a single or multiple column layout.

It would be ideal for homepages/about pages, basically any kind of information and content needed to add value, sidebar content blocks etc. Actually the same principal as that behind members being able to add custom content blocks to their Blogs several years back; to personalise and make relevant and interesting content available including text, image, video/music embeds and other file attachments, links etc.

Pages Articles

Giving members ability to create articles in the Club with the editor should be a basic requirement allowing for Club news, featured content, content categories, paid or free, RSS feed imports.

Calendar Intergration

Have to say the Calendar access via Clubs is very limited without allowing Club owners the ability to import iCal RSS news and event feeds into Club Calendar and potentially Pages Articles.

This goes back to the point I've been saying for some time, Pages front-end should be enhanced to supplement the current page layout and record options with drag and drop, touch ready call to action blocks, sliders, carousels, news article sliders, pricing tables, quote blocks, image and video blocks, testimonial blocks, etc. Droppable into full-width rows, 1-12 column rows. 

Add those 'Divi' style features to Pages for Clubs and you've nailed it, ultimate flexibility and personalisation.

Add New Page to Club, choose initial 1, 2 or 3 column layout, add row, make full width or add columns to that row. Add custom text WYSIWYG blocks, slider, image blocks. Job done.

Edited by The Old Man

We're using IPS as the main knowledge/communication-platform in our company. With Pages we built a lot of databases (i.e. bugtracker, dev-docs) and pages with WYSWIG blocks (i.e. featuresheets) or selfmade custom blocks for rendering content from external REST-APIs.
Please give us Pages in Clubs to create small communitys for divisons, workgroups and interests...

On 1/28/2019 at 10:47 AM, The Old Man said:

Adding front-end Pages elements to Clubs has to be a no brainier. IPS said it would be added later when Clubs were announced.

The drag & drop WYSIWYG content block

I think the majority of clients would first make use of the Pages front-end WYSIWYG block, to have blocks of cacheable content including text and images which they can drag where they want, into a single or multiple column layout.

It would be ideal for homepages/about pages, basically any kind of information and content needed to add value, sidebar content blocks etc. Actually the same principal as that behind members being able to add custom content blocks to their Blogs several years back; to personalise and make relevant and interesting content available including text, image, video/music embeds and other file attachments, links etc.

Pages Articles

Giving members ability to create articles in the Club with the editor should be a basic requirement allowing for Club news, featured content, content categories, paid or free, RSS feed imports.

Calendar Intergration

Have to say the Calendar access via Clubs is very limited without allowing Club owners the ability to import iCal RSS news and event feeds into Club Calendar and potentially Pages Articles.

This goes back to the point I've been saying for some time, Pages front-end should be enhanced to supplement the current page layout and record options with drag and drop, touch ready call to action blocks, sliders, carousels, news article sliders, pricing tables, quote blocks, image and video blocks, testimonial blocks, etc. Droppable into full-width rows, 1-12 column rows. 

Add those 'Divi' style features to Pages for Clubs and you've nailed it, ultimate flexibility and personalisation.

Add New Page to Club, choose initial 1, 2 or 3 column layout, add row, make full width or add columns to that row. Add custom text WYSIWYG blocks, slider, image blocks. Job done.

When we talk about adding Pages to Clubs, I think we should clarify the extent of integration:

- adding records to existing databases

- creating new databases 

- full Pages functionality including page builder

The first option is the most limited, but also the most practical.  You allow clubs to define new categories to existing databases, which is what  they do for all other apps. 

Option 2 is not practical. It requires front-end access to things like templates, which I've never seen available on the front end access for editing or uploading.  

And Option 3 is completely out.  While it's nice to dream about a Divi-style editor for each club, they could have already built that function for Blogs.  Instead, users got one fill-in-the-blank box to customize the blog.  

3 hours ago, Joel R said:

Option 2 is not practical. It requires front-end access to things like templates, which I've never seen available on the front end access for editing or uploading.

It would be enough if it would work like Google Sheets. Every Club can create own database (sheet), define fields they need with field types and field names. Required or not and so on. The club members can then fill their data and edit own data. Club owner can edit every data. No templates (you do not have them in simple Google Sheets either), just already existing functionality for creating database in Pages. And default templates that output the structured member data like table, list (or grid). Nothing more. This is what we need on our project.

So, for us option 2 sounds practical.

2 hours ago, Sonya* said:

It would be enough if it would work like Google Sheets. Every Club can create own database (sheet), define fields they need with field types and field names. Required or not and so on. The club members can then fill their data and edit own data. Club owner can edit every data. No templates (you do not have them in simple Google Sheets either), just already existing functionality for creating database in Pages. And default templates that output the structured member data like table, list (or grid). Nothing more. This is what we need on our project.

So, for us option 2 sounds practical.

I'm confused at your analogy.  

IP.Pages database fundamentally works nothing like a spreadsheet.  You're required to have templates.  In fact, for every IP.Pages database you're required to have 3 templates.  You can certainly make one of those templates into a data table for one of your databases, but IP.Pages itself is far more powerful and allows the creation of multiple databases each with their own template style.

9 hours ago, Joel R said:

IP.Pages database fundamentally works nothing like a spreadsheet. 

I can certainly use it this way as well. Just to display tables with structured data. These are lists or collections of something, cars, pets, children and so on.

You're required to have templates. In fact, for every IP.Pages database you're required to have 3 templates.

I have default templates in database. If I create a database I do not need to define custom template for it. I can just use (select) one that is delivered with Pages (Record view, List view and so on). I can customize it, but I am not forced to. So for the clubs I could select templates that clubs owner are allowed to use. Nothing more. Just dropdown field the same way it works now in ACP, where I select predefined templates for new databases.

but IP.Pages itself is far more powerful and allows the creation of multiple databases each with their own template style.

I am aware of this. My post was just an example of usage for my own needs. How I would use it if there were a possibility to create a database per Club. I have just reacted to your post where you have written it were not practical. For me it IS and that is how I would use it. For creating club based collections and listings (spreadsheets). 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:21 AM, Matt said:

Can you give me some examples of how you'd like to use Pages in clubs?

What sort of functionality would you need?

I would suggest 'support groups' as our site uses the term for the clubs to allow individuals get and give support. I'd also suggest 'circles' as in 'circle of friends' vs 'club' either way, love the app, use it fully.

I have a really old suggestion about this. I mean it shouldn't be any different with how we handle adding Forums, Files, Gallery, etc to clubs. When you Open a Forum section within a club, it's not like create a whole new forum setup. or gallery or files sections for that matter. It's act like create a new "Category" from those app in clubs.

For Pages, thinking about giving all those insane Pages app features like template management, fields ... to the hand of normal users... it's really disturbing. I think the best option is to Assign one Page's Database as a dedicated criteria, for Whole Club things. like when a user want to create an Article section for a club, it's simply create a new "Category" from that dedicated Page's Database. with this, all ACP functions remain in the hands of admin, while normal users can just create a category with settings like "Name" and "Description" and possibly, "FURL Slug"? more? I don't know just an idea.

• 2 months later...

I think most of the discussion here is focused around Pages as an app, not pages as landing, ad, etc. I.e. most people hope for full IPS.Pages app functionality - databases, custom fields, view templates, etc. I think this clarification needs to be made to avoid someone purchasing your app and in result not receive what he is expecting. 

• 8 months later...
On 1/29/2019 at 6:34 PM, Joel R said:

When we talk about adding Pages to Clubs, I think we should clarify the extent of integration:

- adding records to existing databases

- creating new databases 

- full Pages functionality including page builder

The first option is the most limited, but also the most practical.  You allow clubs to define new categories to existing databases, which is what  they do for all other apps. 

And Option 3 is completely out.  While it's nice to dream about a Divi-style editor for each club, they could have already built that function for Blogs.  Instead, users got one fill-in-the-blank box to customize the blog.  

Option 1 would be more than sufficient I think.
It would probably also be good to have a ACP setting for the databases that define what databases can be added to clubs as well as we most certainly do not want all to be available.

For the editor though it would be nice if we could assign it to a page rather than a template, but that is a completely different topic 🙂

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...