Pages in Clubs?

Koper74

1 hour ago, JohnDer said:

I wonder which is the reason why Pages are not included in Clubs.

A main reason might be that it’s an admin feature by design. Everything about the set-up of Pages happens in the ACP. Setting up pages, databases, fields, templates – all ACP features. It’s a powerful and therefore complex app that can’t just be easily expose to club owners (i.e. regular members). The Pages app would have to be rewritten to be front-end editable. And if you do that, you open a huge security hole, since Pages allows a lot of raw code everywhere. 

There might be a chance for feasible compromises though and I am hoping it will come someday. 

Edited by opentype

Perhaps club is the wrong term.   

A section of the site that has it's own content, own products, restricted access, has a myriad of uses. 

Our group is really many groups across the country, it would be excellent for this. 

Other uses like crowd funding it would also be very helpful. 

16 hours ago, Matt said:

Can you give me some examples of how you'd like to use Pages in clubs?

What sort of functionality would you need?

We desperately need databases for clubs, used like collections:

• cars
  • pets
  • children
  • etc.

Something that brings people together in one club and where they can see their "stuff" listed.

Just about every club owner out there could readily think up a slew of great Page ideas to benefit their club members but only a handful of them will have the technical know how to implement them.

Actual adoption of more than one or two clubs with Pages will require a handful of knowledgeable people to create and support them.   Only the best ideas will actually end up being implemented into a Page as a consequence which isn't a bad thing.  

In order for anyone outside of the administrators group to setup and administer Pages, an admin has to add them which most sites will shy away from doing.  Providing an admin the ability to grant access to only the Pages portion of the ACP to a select group of people would allow for more people to use the product. 

With the inclusion of Pages within clubs and the ACP change highlighted above there will likely be more people using the product.  As a consequence, more and more collective know-how will become available to tap into making it easier and easier for someone new to the program to begin to master it's use.   As people begin to see all the great ways Pages get implemented throughout the IPS community and mastering its use isn't as daunting as it seems at first glance you will likely see increased sales of Pages and the suite it runs on top of.

The inclusion of a couple of more tutorials would go a long way towards helping people get past some of the initial pain points of mastering the basics.  Sometimes it takes a couple of examples of how to utilize a certain piece of functionality before getting that "ah ha" moment where it finally clicks in your mind. 

Edited by Christopher Anderson

One thing that comes to mind off the bat is something which many websites (let alone Clubs) lack - and that is a comprehensive About page.

Personally, I find it annoying when I visit a site only to find that there is no page or section which clearly describes what the site is about or what it aims to do (what community it seeks to foster, what hobby/hobbies it focuses on, etc).  I take the point that Pages is a formidable app with access and knowledge requirements above most average users, but perhaps a somewhat simpler interface is possible - as mentioned, something like Articles where pages can be added to a simple menu system.  But apropos of my previous point, the ability to include widgets and feeds on these pages is something that would have a lot of potential for any Club.  Clubs Enhancements has a "Home Page" option, and it's useful, but if you want to sex up your Club and make it more appealing something else is needed.

Not to mention that the more relevant content a Club has in pages (and elsewhere), the greater its potential visibility to search engines.

Edited by liquidfractal

On 1/21/2019 at 11:21 AM, Matt said:

Can you give me some examples of how you'd like to use Pages in clubs?

What sort of functionality would you need?

Oh, and a big one: Online Courses!
With Pages databases in clubs we could easily sell online courses with articles, video lessons and so on. The entire club could be a paid course and the usual features like discussion area are there already as well. And members could make money selling courses and admins can get a cut of it. 

Edited by opentype

On 1/23/2019 at 11:09 PM, opentype said:

Oh, and a big one: Online Courses!
With Pages databases in clubs we could easily sell online courses with articles, video lessons and so on. The entire club could be a paid course and the usual features like discussion area are there already as well. And members could make money selling courses and admins can get a cut of it. 

I second this.  I already use Clubs to host academic reading and research groups, but pages would go a long way toward monetising Clubs for online courses.

<gratuitous promo> @Adriano Faria is also working closely with some of us on an Invision LMS platform, which may be able to make even better use of Pages in Clubs.</gratuitous promo>

5 minutes ago, jair101 said:

Come on, Matt. you can't be asking seriously this question...

He can and he should. IPS makes the software for its users, so the better they understand the user’s use cases, the better suited to the users needs the software can become. I assume you comment implies that asking such questions means he couldn’t come up with examples himself, but that is a logical fallacy. 

3 hours ago, opentype said:

He can and he should. IPS makes the software for its users, so the better they understand the user’s use cases, the better suited to the users needs the software can become. I assume you comment implies that asking such questions means he couldn’t come up with examples himself, but that is a logical fallacy. 

As much as you would like to start yet another boring discussion about holes in other peoples logic (I have noticed how much you enjoy those), your assumption in fact is not correct. 

My comment was sarcastic on purpose, to me the answer is obvious - asking why you might need Pages in a Club is like asking why you need Pages at all. Clubs is community within a community, why it should not have access to all features available for the main branch and why the use cases within a club should be different then the use cases for all other apps that have clubs features? If it is difficult to develop, so be it, I can accept that. But I can't believe it is possible that IPS did not include Pages features in Clubs simply because they thought it is not useful. Hence the "surprise" in my comment. 

If I wanted to be a straight shooter, I would say instead: "Matt, the use cases for clubs usage are exactly the same as for main community usage and for all other apps that already have clubs features. You want to isolate particular database in a club, the same way you prefer to isolate particular gallery or discussion topics". Instead, I decided to be funny with a short sarcastic one liner. Shoot me. At least I didn't use a gif. 

Edited by jair101

1 hour ago, jair101 said:

As much as you would like to start yet another boring discussion about holes in other peoples logic (I have noticed how much you enjoy those)

No, I don’t enjoy them at all. I hate it when flawed logic is presented and I always hope that pointing it out is helpful to everyone, a.k.a. having forum discussions. 

But I can't believe it is possible that IPS did not include Pages features in Clubs simply because they thought it is not useful. Hence the "surprise" in my comment. 

Exactly what I read from your comment and replied to. Thanks for confirming. 

Edited by opentype