User is typing... -- too suble?

MMXII

I really like the idea of displaying that someone is typing in a topic. However this info is being displayed in such a subtle way that I doubt that anybody will recognize it. And if haven't added the 'Recently Browsing' block, the info will not show up at all.

So maybe there are other, more obvious ways to show that a user is typing? How about a (small) info box below the latest answer (just above the box where users would add their reply)?

46 minutes ago, David.. said:

I was quite curious about this feature. But I have yet to actually see it in the dev site or IPS live site. I was expecting it to appear somewhere near the editor?

No.  That's what we all thought too.

It appears on a hover of username on a widget.  

I haven't seen the preview yet (waiting for final 4.3 release before renewing) but I recall the feature on the blog announcement said:

New Features

• Setting so when someone is typing in an editor, other members will see a "Member X is typing..." status in the editor view.

So I'm surprised if others are saying this feature is not in the editor view as it's not what was announced before! :(

2 hours ago, Optic14 said:

I haven't seen the preview yet

You can see it on this site since it already runs 4.3. Just take a look at the Recently Browsing Box at the bottom and look out for a username that is displayed in italic. Then hover it with your mouse and you will see a bubble saying "X is typing...".

Yes, it is that subtle. ?

4 hours ago, bfarber said:

The behavior at present mimics what you would have seen in 3.x and below - users who are typing in the editor will be shown italicized in the recently browsing box. We may expand or alter the behavior in a future release.

Perhaps a text display beside the Submit Reply button of the editor: "bfarber is typing..." or "bfarber, Charles, and rikki are typing..."

Personally, in a hot topic, I wouldn't want it to be in your face.  Otherwise you get a couple people wanting to see what someone else says before they submit their post and you end up in a stalemate.  

Ultimately, who is / isn't typing isn't what drives a community, it's getting your members to submit their content.

2 hours ago, Aiwa said:

Personally, in a hot topic, I wouldn't want it to be in your face.  Otherwise you get a couple people wanting to see what someone else says before they submit their post and you end up in a stalemate.  

Ultimately, who is / isn't typing isn't what drives a community, it's getting your members to submit their content.

You know, I was exactly thinking about this scenario earlier.  What if we're so caught up in the moment that we're waiting to hear what others have to say that we never say anything at all! Lindy is waiting breathlessly for what Joel has to say.  Joel is waiting breathlessly for what Charles has to say.  And Charles is waiting breathlessly for what Lindy has to say ... And we're all just sitting around hovering over usernames instead of actually responding, ha! 

On a more serious note, I was already brainstorming ways to customize the message (... on a hypothetical feature that IPS may never develop.  But whatever.  I'll be ready for when IPS does develop it, right?).  Something that incites a user to post.  

• 1 month later...
  • Management

Yep, all received and understood. We have plans for this - but we didn't want to add another heavy duty polling action on top of the few that run already on topic view. We want to consolidate them, but it's a work in progress.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived