4.2.6 - Is Redis now the better option?

RevengeFNF

• Management
9 hours ago, superj707 said:

Just curious. Why would Redis be better than Memcached?

Redis is considered memcached on steroids. It's been developed with the shortcomings and lessons learned from memcached in mind. 

Memcached is more simplistic in nature - great for basic key/value based data and very fast for more static data - it worked well for us when we were passing it limited data. Redis, however, is far more robust and is essentially a database in memory that can be directly manipulated. Redis is also great at horizontal scaling, data persistence and just allowing flexibility in terms of what can be cached (memcached is limited.) 

We like it. :) 

1 hour ago, Lindy said:

Redis is also great at horizontal scaling, data persistence and just allowing flexibility in terms of what can be cached (memcached is limited.) 

Can you write more about this please? Can we create much instances with nginx+php-fpm and on every node setup redis, which will be connected between nodes? For the cluster architect cache system compability now is not clear. I know only about data partitioning between redis instances. And not any about full data sharing. This little guide will be very useful!

As example, we have 10 servers, where present nginx + php-fpm. Redis presents on each of them. But used only 1 for all nodes. So if some 'slave' nodes goes down - all be ok. But if 'master' mode go away - our duty engineers should push updated configs with new redis instance. Of course, i can create my own failover with extend cache class system and swith to secondary server if something happened with first. But it is not 'reliable hammer' by comparison with Redis from box solution. I know some 3rd pary scripts, which needed to compile on system and which are works as a 'proxy' between application and Redis instance. This proxy script make a virtual cluster replication (it send same data to other redis nodes). But it is looks very unstable.

Thanks!

17 hours ago, nodle said:

For those of you that use a socket port I just found out by the support that it won't work, they need a port number instead. For example:

1.thumb.jpg.d38bdfa67d7dc8c71de1d360c9b9e935.jpg

I notice it doesn't seem to allow you to define multiple servers (like you can with memcached) here. 

Could someone from IPS confirm or deny whether they support a cluster setup: https://redis.io/topics/cluster-tutorial

Or is that something that is configured entirely on the server and not dependent on what the configuration file says?

If it's not supported, like it is for memcached, then are there any plans for it or could you please consider it? 

19 hours ago, nodle said:

For those of you that use a socket port I just found out by the support that it won't work, they need a port number instead. For example:

1.thumb.jpg.d38bdfa67d7dc8c71de1d360c9b9e935.jpg

As far as I’m aware of I’m using Redis as a socket with no port defined. My hosting provider runs both memcache and Redis as a socket. 

• Management
2 hours ago, TSP said:

I notice it doesn't seem to allow you to define multiple servers (like you can with memcached) here. 

Could someone from IPS confirm or deny whether they support a cluster setup: https://redis.io/topics/cluster-tutorial

Or is that something that is configured entirely on the server and not dependent on what the configuration file says?

If it's not supported, like it is for memcached, then are there any plans for it or could you please consider it? 

4.3 allows you to set up a system where you have one Redis writer, and multiple readers.

• Management
25 minutes ago, Upgradeovec said:

Excellent! Can we wait same logic to MySQL connection for use master for write operations and slave for reading?

We have some support for that now and are continuing to refine it. We may officially support it in 4.3.

On 13/11/2017 at 2:15 PM, Matt said:

Redis is definitely the recommended caching engine now, yes.

On 14/11/2017 at 4:08 AM, Lindy said:

Redis is considered memcached on steroids. It's been developed with the shortcomings and lessons learned from memcached in mind. 

Memcached is more simplistic in nature - great for basic key/value based data and very fast for more static data - it worked well for us when we were passing it limited data. Redis, however, is far more robust and is essentially a database in memory that can be directly manipulated. Redis is also great at horizontal scaling, data persistence and just allowing flexibility in terms of what can be cached (memcached is limited.) 

We like it. :) 

Nothing critical, but i think IPs should change the information that is on the caching method page in ACP.

It says this:

The caching method is used by various systems for temporary data storage and data caching. All options apart from Memcached use server memory and using any of these will increase performance over not caching. Memcached is a distributed memory object caching system and provides the best performance.

10 hours ago, RevengeFNF said:

Nothing critical, but i think IPs should change the information that is on the caching method page in ACP.

There are a few broken links in the ACP as well (the one linking to the sales page for commerce in the advertisements section comes to mind). I'm sure this will all get cleaned up in 4.3

14 hours ago, Ernest_Defoe said:

As far as I’m aware of I’m using Redis as a socket with no port defined. My hosting provider runs both memcache and Redis as a socket. 

How were you able to set it up to work? IPB support told me that it wouldn't work.

9 hours ago, nodle said:

How were you able to set it up to work? IPB support told me that it wouldn't work.

Same way I did with memcache. Copied the info my host uses for socket and pasted it in the area for the IP address and saved uploaded the constants.php file. Keep in mind I’m assuming it’s working because my site is actually loading and loading pretty quickly. I’m assuming if you have bad info in the constants.php file your site won’t load at least mine didn’t when I was trying to get memcache to work before. 

21 hours ago, nodle said:

@Matt or @Lindy can you verify that Redis supports a socket? Support told me that it would not, but @Ernest Defoe said he got it working. Just want to verify one way or the other. Thanks.

This is how I have it setup and have the constants.php file uploaded and my site is loading and working with no problem.

5a0f73b2dbc0e_ScreenShot2017-11-17at5_40_36PM.thumb.png.30d653901a6b9eb29d4383f4cb0c0da4.png

As you can see it's running as a socket and no port number defined and no server password either. When I was trying to setup Memcached and had incorrect vales in the constants.php file my site would not load at all. Would just be a blank white screen. So I don't know what to tell you other than what I am showing you in the screen shot and the fact my site is loading and actually working.

Just now, nodle said:

Thanks, @Ernest_Defoe I could set mine that was up also if it works. Still, want an official answer if it will work like that or not. @Lindy or @Matt any official word?

Like I said all I know was when I had bad info in there when setting up Memcached my site wouldn't load so I'm figuring it must be working since it's loading. Maybe Matt or Lindy will confirm one way or the other. I wish there was a way to test.

Archived