Sticky Notes (support topic)

25 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

Let me ask you the same question, then :-

The version I have is the last one released which is not compatible with 4.5 and is the version of Invision I am running. As this was a one-time purchase with no renewals, I cannot say that I have not had my money's worth of use from the product.  

If you purchased this product just prior to updating to 4.5 then I can understand your disappointment, but there was no indication that it was compatible with 4.5 or that it would be updated so, there were two things you could have done: 1) hold off updating to 4.5 until the app was compatible, or 2) do without the use of the app if you were intent on updating to 4.5 knowing that the app was not compatible and wait for an update..

There's no obligation on any developer to update an app to work on the latest version of Invision.  Is it disappointing? Indeed, it is, but then life is filled with such disappointments.  The good news is that the developer has said he will update this app, but has given no indication of when, just that it will be updated.  Even with that indication, if it proves too troublesome then there is still no obligation for the developer to make good on what he said.

I understand you're not after a refund, just a version that works with 4.5 so your only option is to either wait or look elsewhere.

Edited by Davyc

In the end of the day, it’s the dev decision that will take place. But a few things are quite obvious. I have my own plan when I have to upgrade a lot of things like from 4.4 to 4.5, in this very specific order:

- Most purchased with renews

- Most purchased without renews

- Free most downloaded

It’s totally acceptable that a dev prioritize things like this. Example: you wouldn’t accept if you had paid $50 for a resource then already renewed twice ($20 each) and the dev were wasting time updating $10 resources. 

I don't understand why no one has yet appreciated that I don't disagree with any of this.

The single point has been that I think that we are entitled to expect some information. Looking through this thread back to the beginning of the big upgrade, nobody has protested – they have simply asked for information. Sometimes the developer has given information – which has then turned out not to be correct – and sometimes the developer simply hasn't given any information at all.

I'm simply saying it would be reasonable to expect information – and it might even be reasonable to expect that that information was correct.

@Adriano Faria maybe you can tell us what your position is in terms of letting your clients know where they stand.

Edited by BankFodder
31 minutes ago, BankFodder said:

I don't understand why no one has yet appreciated that I don't disagree with any of this.

I believe that most people do understand that you're not disagreeing with what the responses are to your situation, but you don't seem to appreciate that there is nothing you can do and there is nothing to be gained by continuing with this line of response.

There's nothing you can do, nothing Invision can do and nothing that anyone else can do. So rather than keep rehashing your disappointment and asking other developers what their stance is, just accept that the developer of this app has said it will be updated as and when time permits.  

Just let it go and be patient or look elsewhere to fulfil your needs.

You don't seem to have understood that I have bought a copy which is compatible with our new version of the forum  platform.

You also don't seem to understand that it seems reasonable enough that if one is going to be given information, there that information should be correct.

I have a sense that you are moving into a tit-for-tat pointscoring exchange and I don't think it's helpful.

If you are running a new version of the forum and the sticky notes add-on was useful to you then I recommend that you go to the developers and forum and by an updated copy.

Edited by BankFodder
On 12/31/2020 at 11:17 AM, TheJackal84 said:

I di dupdate it but IPS said there was stuff getting added to the members database ( I thought I removed all links to the members database on all my apps months ago must of missed this app ) I will update it with new database tables etc but I am currently working through other updates, I know its not something you all want to hear but apps and plugins with no renewals get put behind apps and plugins with renewals when it comes to priority and it can take IPS days to check and come back to me with a refusal reason etc and in this case its the core members database and by the time they get back I am deep into another program, I will do my best to get this done this week for everyone

Looking back over the replies to this topic you appear to have purchased another version from the developer's own site, if that is the case then why are you posting here about it?  You should be posting on the developer's site and, as he has said, he works on the default theme, which most developers do, and by using a third-party theme any issues you have will be with the theme.

I've highlighted in bold the above portion of the quoted reply from the developer. What more do you want?

1 hour ago, BankFodder said:

I have a sense that you are moving into a tit-for-tat pointscoring exchange and I don't think it's helpful.

Absolutely not the case - I am attempting to discover what your gripe is and what you expect to achieve by posting what you have posted. It's been stated over and over that you cannot achieve your expectations by continually posting the same issue you have already outlined because the answers will always be the same. The app will be updated when it's updated, period.

Any issues you are having with your third-party theme should be addressed to the theme developer.  Having said that if the issues are CSS based, then I am more than happy to help you resolve them, but I will need a link to your site where the issue is displayed.

On 1/4/2021 at 3:58 PM, Telemacus2 said:

I too purchased this, and it was a great app. 

TheJackal: I think you should add a renewal scheme to this app, I'm sure most people who've purchased this app would approve. whenever a new version of ipb comes out, it's a "P.I.T.A" for customers to have to give up the app. We understand that renewing it takes time and work, so it makes sense to add the renewal option, so that there's some incentive for you too, so please consider it. 

I for one would not agree with this.

Renewal schemes have to be seen two ways: 1) yes, from the developer's perspective in terms of work, but 2) you have to think about what your end user is willing to pay for in terms of the functionality they get.  This involves getting out of your developer mindset and thinking the way your customers think.  Sure, you as the developer might think you've put a lot of work into something so it deserves a renewal fee, but as an end user there are more than a few apps which I won't buy simply because they aren't worth paying for perpetually in terms of their use-value (some of which equate to repurchasing the app every year!).  I could name examples, but there are some apps that are drastically overpriced IMO.

As useful as I find the app, if Sticky Notes were made into a renewal fee I'd drop it without hesitation.  I'm suspicious of renewal fees, since there are some developers (some past, some present) who I believe just use it to gouge.  There are exceptions to this rule - developers who actively update and think of new features and evolve their products, but not all developers are like this.  I'm not saying anything either way about TheJackal when I say this.

If the developer wants to changes pricing structure for the future – then that's fair enough and of course existing customers will have to make a choice.
However, if there is going to be a change which will affect existing customers then I think that they should be told about it and also given sufficient notice – for instance, at least six months – the period of a typical renewal.

Once again, it's all about information and transparency.

Until then, it seems to me rather unfair to effectively de-prioritise existing customers because there is a pricing decision made by the developer when he first came up with the idea of the third-party add-on and made his decisions about how he was going to price it.
Existing customers went along with the add-on and also with the pricing scheme in good faith and I think it requires a certain amount of reciprocal good faith from the developer.
So, for instance, the developer could upgrade to 4.5 and announce to existing customers that in six months time the app would not be supported any more and that the next upgrade would only be available to people who signed onto the new pricing structure – but as a gesture of loyalty to existing customers, they would not have to make the initial purchase, they would simply sign up for the renewal fees – which are generally speaking less than the initial payment.

That is something which I think is fair all round and takes into account changing circumstances for the developer, the customer, and market conditions generally.

Edited by BankFodder

And by the way, I've flagged this up once already on this thread – but there's been no response:

We are using a standard Invision theme simply with some colour changes.

Although the sticky notes works, there are glitches in that it doesn't place a link on each post as its intended to do and also when you try to go to the global settings on the admin CP, it goes to a 500.

I flagged this up a couple of weeks ago and there's been no reaction.

Apps updated again to 2.3.3 hopefully I ain't missed nothing on this one, Once IPS check it if all good then everything should all be OK, Just to let everyone know, With all my applications and plugins when there is not one without a renewal it is basically your buying as is, i,e it works for the current version it states, there is no guarantee that there will be updates etc when IPS release major versions, sometimes there are reasons where they can't get updated like a couple I have already as it can only work using the IPS database and IPS no longer allow that, there are reasons where it is no longer feesable to keep updating them, there are hundreds of reasons why it might not get updated but you are buying it as is, but I personally like this application and will probably update it regardless, If anyone remembers the first version is was shocking lol a plugin what showed like 3 notes but like I say I like this app and use it myself, if anyone has any questions etc let me know

On 1/14/2021 at 7:52 AM, TheJackal84 said:

Apps updated again to 2.3.3 hopefully I ain't missed nothing on this one, Once IPS check it if all good then everything should all be OK, Just to let everyone know, With all my applications and plugins when there is not one without a renewal it is basically your buying as is, i,e it works for the current version it states, there is no guarantee that there will be updates etc when IPS release major versions, sometimes there are reasons where they can't get updated like a couple I have already as it can only work using the IPS database and IPS no longer allow that, there are reasons where it is no longer feesable to keep updating them, there are hundreds of reasons why it might not get updated but you are buying it as is, but I personally like this application and will probably update it regardless, If anyone remembers the first version is was shocking lol a plugin what showed like 3 notes but like I say I like this app and use it myself, if anyone has any questions etc let me know

Thanks for the update @TheJackal84.  I suppose it would be futile to ask if you know when IPS will approve the current 4.5.x version on its site (since it isn't yet available)?

On 13/01/2021 at 15:52, TheJackal84 said:

Applications mises à jour à nouveau à 2.3.3, j'espère que je n'ai rien manqué sur celui-ci, une fois que IPS l'a vérifié si tout va bien, tout devrait bien se passer,

This apps is absolutely brilliant.....love love love it & members too.

I bought version 2.3.2 on TheJackal84's website and updated to 2.3.3 last week !
Looks working perfectly. I did not noticed any problems.

I advice peoples to buy it & enjoy it....and encourage the developper to update it for ever.

• 2 weeks later...

@TheJackal84 I read above that the last submission was rejected again because it altered the IPS core database tables.

It seems that that is the problem with the latest submissions. Will you fix that and submit the files again? Or can't Sticky Noted function without altering the  IPS before database? I guess it can. So, my question is, why isn't it done? You have a queue of clients waiting for that for months. I just don't understand, and I can imagine that so many other users won't understand either.

I haven't purchased it yet, will do once it's approved by IPS as per their guidelines. Thanks a lot

Edited by Alfonso Moreno
  • 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, liquidfractal said:

Yep....getting a bit impatient on this one.  @TheJackal84, it has been almost a month since my last query and not a word re: updates (and others are wondering too)?  Sorry dude, but quite frankly I expected better.

So did I. He "knows" why the plugin has been rejected by IPS, still the plugin hasn't been updated in the Marketplace, only on his web site (probably without that change required by IPS for security reasons).

And like I said I have more than 1 app I work on, here I have about 50, with custom ones I have well over 100 without the ones here, I have a life, I have 2 children, I work 40 hours a week elsewhere what I have actually not been 2 for the last 2 weeks as I try to play catch up everywhere else, On IPS there are so many different versions of rules 1 post says this can happen where the other one says it can't or that it should be removed in the future, not right not but then it gets rejected as they want it removed right now, When I am writing updates some take 5 minutes some take days where some can take weeks, I update them once at a time and can not wait for a acceptance or rejection from IPS before I start on another as some can be approved on the day where some aint downloaded or checked for days so I need to start on another, 4-5 days later I get a email saying rejected cos it used 1 core_groups column and I say to myself once I finished what I am doing I will crack on and sort that, as I will not stop halfway through writing something to write something else, I also said this app has no renewal and was bought as seen working on the version it stated at the time, and I also said that my apps with renewals will always come first.

Anyway it got updated so lets see what happens with it now

On 2/17/2021 at 8:20 PM, TheJackal84 said:

And like I said I have more than 1 app I work on, here I have about 50, with custom ones I have well over 100 without the ones here, I have a life, I have 2 children, I work 40 hours a week elsewhere what I have actually not been 2 for the last 2 weeks as I try to play catch up everywhere else,

OK, but nobody's debating or criticising your life choices (I'm certainly not) - but they are your choices.  If you choose to have all this stuff going on in your life, fine - but that doesn't mean paying customers don't have the right to wonder what's going on when we hear nothing for a month (which could be simply a "hold on, it's on its way" email).  I think the issue here is the radio silence - not your choice to update renewal apps first or your choice not to wait until IPS approves apps before moving on (both of which are perfectly reasonable choices to me).

Edited by liquidfractal

@TheJackal84 You've ended up creating a number of apps that are extremely well received by your customers and their community members, as such their continued availability and timely updates to be compatible with each new IPS update takes on an increased level of importance in their minds. The price of success.  Try to be of good cheer during these trying times.

I agree with @liquidfractalthat the occasional Hi Folks, here's where things stand every week or so would be appreciated by your customer base.