Activity Stream: make condensed view default?

Kirill N

I would also like to set the default mode (condensed or expanded) per activity feed. The reason is simple: I have feeds which are set to show “content items only” and others which are not. Depending on that mode, it makes much more sense to use expanded or condensed. If the individual answers are shown, expanded is better and condensed is actually rather pointless. If each topic is shown just once, it makes more sense to have it condensed (like the old View New Content). 

It’s fine that users can override this, but it makes a lot of sense to show the most suitable mode by default instead of confusing the members with default modes which might not be ideal and then have them figure out per feed what mode to set to the get best results. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just searched to find this thread and would like to add my voice to the request that this be made an admin-configurable thing.  I have noticed that traffic has actually decreased on my forum since switching to IPB4 and have strong suspicion it is because members simply are no longer clicking into a thread to find out what's new, but rather seeing the last comment in the Activity Stream, making an assumption, and not visiting the thread at all.

Previously members would click into a thread if it struck their curiosity, and then would find themselves contributing.  This is MUCH like the SEO theory of the "Engagement Funnel" or "Conversion Funnel" and yet IPB has taken the ability to control the funnel away from us.

conversion-funnel-social.gif

The way activity stream works now is contrary to what users expect/want. By default it gives you everything in extended view and lists activity that is completely useless to the average user. On my board there are several sections on the stream with 20+ lines listing who joined or started following which topic. How is this information useful to anyone?

I can't understand why IPS doesn't simply allow the admin to set/save the default activity view to his liking. That way guests wouldn't have to deal with all the clutter on the activity stream. It's obvious the users want a simple list of unread/newest items but IPS insists on listing everything by default. @Lindy please explain what the logic is behind this. Why overload users with unnecessary information?

4 hours ago, Tomzl said:

On my board there are several sections on the stream with 20+ lines listing who joined or started following which topic. How is this information useful to anyone?

You can easily switch those off. AdminCP - System - Content Discovery - Streams - Activity Stream settings.

On 10/20/2015 at 9:49 AM, Lindy said:

What's the reasoning, please and what's the issue you're trying to solve? Are you concerned the condensed / expanded options aren't prominent enough? Why not give your users the opportunity to see everything before deciding they don't need to? 

TV site guy here: open air spoilers are the devil.

I'm having a dev create a mod that let's us set the default AND allow the user to change it and have the site remember their choice via cookie. It's show up on the marketplace soon after it goes live on our site.

10 hours ago, GlenP said:

You can easily switch those off. AdminCP - System - Content Discovery - Streams - Activity Stream settings.

Yeah, I found that setting later but there is still a lot of information like images, status updates, status replies etc. that have little value but take a lot of space being listed.

Not to mention the biggest UX fail that for each post made in a topic, there is a separate item on the activity stream instead of just one item if a topic has received new posts since last visit. Chances are you will want to jump to the first unread post and then read the rest. As it is now, if 10 posts have been made in a topic, you get 10 items linking to the same topic. It's clutter.

3 minutes ago, Tomzl said:

Yeah, I found that setting later but there is still a lot of information like images, status updates, status replies etc. that have little value but take a lot of space being listed.

You can configure what is in a feed and you can configure which feed is your site’s default feed. 

3 minutes ago, Tomzl said:

Not to mention the biggest UX fail that for each post made in a topic, there is a separate item on the activity stream instead of just one item if a topic has received new posts since last visit.

Again: you can configure that. 

The topic here is not about any of that, but about the different view modes “condensed” and “expanded” and how they can configured through the admin. It would be helpful if we keep the discussion around that. 

I stand corrected. :blush: I was expecting I could set it as default for the whole board on the board directly but it's an AdminCP setting so I missed it. Thanks for the tip. :thumbsup:

You are correct, the condensed/expanded view is the only setting that is missing and would really help admins and users customize what they want to see on their activity stream.

On 6/20/2016 at 11:23 AM, Tomzl said:

Not to mention the biggest UX fail that for each post made in a topic, there is a separate item on the activity stream instead of just one item if a topic has received new posts since last visit. Chances are you will want to jump to the first unread post and then read the rest. As it is now, if 10 posts have been made in a topic, you get 10 items linking to the same topic. It's clutter.

On 6/20/2016 at 11:29 AM, opentype said:

Again: you can configure that. 

@opentype : sorry for going off-topic but where can this be changed for the activity stream to group it per topic? "/forums/discover/"

Running the latest update so can't find the options anywhere for that stream

streams.jpg

3 minutes ago, dragonfly411 said:

@opentype : sorry for going off-topic but where can this be changed for the activity stream to group it per topic? "/forums/discover/"

Make one of your custom feeds the default feed to get full control over its content. There is a checkbox for that and what is linked in the menu is totally up to you anyway. For example, my default feed is /discover/6/, not /discover/.

• 6 months later...
On 20/11/2015 at 8:19 AM, Lindy said:

Follow-up: this has been "vetted" through our internal processes and it appears we're going to do this (if that changes for some unknown reason, I will update again, but don't expect it to) -- there's no ETA, but I don't suspect it will be a big task. 

I guess it turned out to be a big task. :p

• 3 weeks later...

Archived