Activity Stream: make condensed view default?

Kirill N

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i also am wanting to set it by default to be condensed. i would actually prefer to have a 'normal' forum latest posts view and the activity stream as an additional feature. but if we are forced to use activity stream i would like to make it more like a forum than Facebook.

On 10/20/2015, 2:49:36, Lindy said:

What's the reasoning, please and what's the issue you're trying to solve? Are you concerned the condensed / expanded options aren't prominent enough? Why not give your users the opportunity to see everything before deciding they don't need to? 

For me the analogy is the same as when you click on the Calendar and are shown the whole month...that is a condensed view because you start from a wide amount of data and then can drill down to the smaller. With a stream or timeline this would be similar to having a quick overview of the most amount of data WITHOUT details.

This means titles and small attachments easily viewable with less amount of scrolling.

Condensed view is more efficient because you go from simplified to detailled and not the opposite. Anyway the option to select which version you prefer should really be TRIVIAL in terms of adding that option to the ACP and I mean trivial in the sense that the functionality is there. You don t need to ask why people need it because if you don t understand that NOT seeing large attachments first is better than a simplified view with smaller attachments then it is difficult to explain the reason for the request.

I for one would really like to be able to default as condensed and if IPB can not provide that

1 hour ago, Christophe said:

Anyway the option to select which version you prefer should really be TRIVIAL in terms of adding that option to the ACP and I mean trivial in the sense that the functionality is there.

This isn't entirely true: because Invision implemented this feature by hardcoding expanded as the default, and only check for a cookie to see if they should collapse it, it's not as simple as you'd hope to make condensed the default. In an ideal world I think this would actually be a per-stream default setting that members could set when creating the stream, but that will require storing the default info in the DB, which they don't do right now. By storing it in the DB, users who access our site from a public computer lab/internet cafe/etc. or who clear their cookies after every session would still have their default preferences honored, too, which would be an added bonus.

I wonder if text would solve this issue. For example. Get rid of the icons and simply say:

Collapse results

And when collapsed:

Expand results

If members can clearly see that they can toggle this and it saves for them, the issue is not as drastic. One of the problems is they are not seeing or recognizing the icons.

I'd put the text to the right of the title. I don't think anyone would miss that. Or could still be on the right.

3 minutes ago, eGullet said:

In my experience, we'd need some <blink> tags and maybe a big animated arrow with a cute cat photo in it. I am not convinced that adding more visual clutter to the screen is going to help.

Well what happens if you make condensed the default, and your members don't know about expanded? The issue seems to be visibility. Not default state. You like condensed better but your members may like expanded, so if the issue is they are not seeing the icons to be able to change to condensed, then let's address visibility/accessibility, imo.

21 hours ago, chilihead said:

Well what happens if you make condensed the default, and your members don't know about expanded? The issue seems to be visibility. Not default state. You like condensed better but your members may like expanded, so if the issue is they are not seeing the icons to be able to change to condensed, then let's address visibility/accessibility, imo.

I can speak for my entire board that them dislike expanded, either way, the fact there is no option to pick a default is the issue here. It needs to happen.

• Management

Follow-up: this has been "vetted" through our internal processes and it appears we're going to do this (if that changes for some unknown reason, I will update again, but don't expect it to) -- there's no ETA, but I don't suspect it will be a big task. 

14 minutes ago, Lindy said:

Follow-up: this has been "vetted" through our internal processes and it appears we're going to do this (if that changes for some unknown reason, I will update again, but don't expect it to) -- there's no ETA, but I don't suspect it will be a big task. 

What did y'all decide to do: Make collapsed default or give users/admins to the options to set the defaults?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/20/2015 at 11:19 AM, Lindy said:

So was this option ever added?

Archived