Download: Shoutbox

Pete T

Only seeing ipshoutbox.css in /public/style/css_1 and css_5 folders. Assuming that is not correct but did entire search of my site. I'm pretty thorough so sorry if I'm just plain missing it. If that is the correct spots, I added it there, rebuilt my caches and no luck. Sorry to be a pain.

It also bolded all usernames inside my board but @username never were bold when tagged.

Also, is there a better way to distinguish Guests? Having multiple guests gets very confusing. I understand if not but just curious. Thanks for the great work!

No response to this?? We'd love to purchase a full version but would like concerns addressed, please and thank you.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No response to this?? We'd love to purchase a full version but would like concerns addressed, please and thank you.

Have you checked the list? @name formatting support v1.3.8? If you want something 'special' for guests why not write up a suggestion and put it into Tracker?

I do not understand ...

Should we have free version (mean use free versions of shoutbox) on our boards and paid for support if we need help ?

With paid version of shoutbox should we have " free " support or paid support also?

Note:

• For ipBoard v3.0 & v3.1 use Shoutbox v1.1.5 -- Fully Functional (No Support)
  • For ipBoard v3.2 & v3.3 use Shoutbox v1.3.7 -- Fully Functional (Paid Support Only)
  • Shoutbox v1.3.8+ Is a limited try before you buy product (see below) (Paid Support Only)

regards

bosss

Must say that You make that most complicated what i can see ...both here and with Links ..and with tracker ..and with support and we need to make account in more sities to get some help??? What is going on?

Must say that You make that most complicated what i can see ...both here and with Links ..and with tracker ..and with support and we need to make account in more sities to get some help??? What is going on?

There have been two versions of Shoutbox for ages. support for people on ipBoard v3.0 & v3.1 is available in SB v1.1.5, if you are running later it is v1.3.7 why do you find that complicated? If you want me to go to your board and resolve an issue why do you expect me to do that for 'free'?

I don't know mate... AFAIK, free Shoutbox dies here, since we're having many changes on editor stuff for 3.4, like BBCodes, etc.

I will for sure make it compatible with 3.4.0 to be used on my board and probably will release the edits as a tutorial on my board. Understand your point of view, sure... Go on with your paid version; I will keep the old one alive; at least on my board.

PS: not that I like; actually I hate it. But my (damn) users like it.

I will for sure make it compatible with 3.4.0 to be used on my board and probably will release the edits as a tutorial on my board.

This from an Marketplace author?

I understand you DON'T want to update the free version but a little honesty would be appreciated here. Shoutbox DIES here! It won't work on 3.4. You made ​​it clear you're abandoning the free version, saying you will only update the paid version.

So, why can't I update it to be used on my board ? Am I obliged to buy the new version only to make it compatible with 3.4.0 ? I don't care about the new stuff you gonna add. I don't want them.

I will keep using the old FREE version, just like it is today, updated for me or for anybody else that wants to update it.

I will keep using the old FREE version, just like it is today, updated for me or for anybody else that wants to update it.

What you do on your own system is your own business but the code has always been copyrighted all rights reserved. I would have thought that it wouldn't need explanation that redistribution of code changes are not permitted. Even most of the public open source licenses have that you can not issue modifications to an authors application. But of course I am unclean.

Whilst I will not DCMA you it is a breach of copyright and not authorised.

I will update it to be used on my board, if so I decide. As I said, I really don't like this app, but my users do and they are a PITA asking this s**t all the time.

Do what you have to do... I just won't pay to make this compatible with 3.4. I understand your reasons, as I already said, but I will keep using an OLD version.

Good luck! smile.png

PS: Now I see a future for IP.Chat.

Just to offer more input on the paid version, I see that you added "Use as an announcement system (instead of as shoutbox) v1.3.6" to the list.

I am actually quite excited to see what you do with this. There are two similar hooks that are supposed to do this, but I've installed/reinstalled them both a dozen times and either they don't work or they get fatal errors. I never reported this in their support threads since I imagine how annoying it must be to read reports like that when it's working on their "clean versions", but if you integrated as an all-in-one then is something worth looking forward to (at least for me). I am envisioning hearing that little 'bloop' every time someone makes a new post, which would make it much more easy to stay active and responsive with my site closed in another tab; and in general, it would be a nice upgrade to the notification system.

To everyone else, since the decision has already been made by JLogica (and it's his to make), maybe we should just be making suggestions instead of trying to stop this transition. I've already stated my opinion that the old versions should remain archived (rather than nerfed), if only to avoid users of old IPB versions to resort to using warez sites. But thinking back on when IPB itself went commercial and several people complained and jumped ship, this change is what allowed them to invest more time into their project and turn it into something really professional.

And long live IP Chat.

You can't be serious lol. This site has over a million posts, a PR of 7, and yet I have never seen more than 3 active people in this site's IP.Chat, ever.

I remember when Michael (not the "shoutbox" Michael, the guy from Devfuse) was first developing his amazing donations app, people were complaining about it not being free. They were using it to make money with it and still wanted the coder to do it for free!! (I got enough donations to cover the price I paid for it the first week, by the way).

I'd like to remind everyone that most of us live in capitalist society where we actually pay for the time others invest on the products and services that we use. Anyone whinging about shoutbox becoming a paid product, well... guess what? you could have bought the copyright to develop it and support it for the rest of your life (support it for free too, now I'd like to see you do that!) or do what you wanted with it. You could, yes, but you DIDN´T.

All it took was to talk to the previous owner (who, by the way, spent HUNDREDS of hours just supporting it and got very little for it in return except users providing negative feedback and requesting new features all the time, and nobody every suggesting that it become a paid product...) and reach an agreement.

Now, you didn't do that but you still want Shoutbox to be what you want and not what the new owner wants? er... I don´t think that's very realistic.

I've been around the ipb community for a while and have seen many coders come and go. Many mods come and go too... they worked fine for one version, then stopped working for the next and they were never updated. Needless to say, the mods that are most likely to become "abandonedware" are the free ones.

Shoutbox is IPB´s most popular app ever. Some of the new features look promising. JLogica has made some free apps and thus contributed to the community also.

We need to move forward...

Also, if I understand your update to the download page; you are switching from the 250 shout-nerf limit and proving the old one archived but just with paid support, which is a brilliant and fair compromise.

That's how it has been I just added a note at the top, which cause someone else to complain about being complicated... As the old saying goes, you can't please everyone.

Archived