Download: Shoutbox

Pete T

Is there anyone out there who could give me complete step by step instructions on how to install this please? When I say step by step I mean where to save the files, how to save the files, how to do all of it as though you are speaking to a three year old child sort of thing......

I have downloaded the two files and they are saved in my download folder and I am now stuck. The shoutbox is already installed in my admin panel but it has not been updated since early 2010 and is too out of date for the forum software to cope with as I just upgraded to 3.3.4 this week.

I am completely exhausted lol as I am not technical at all and it's all been quite traumatic! To be honest, after losing my old skin and having to change the whole forum I'd not bother but the members really love the shoutbox and are missing it!

I'd really, really appreciate someone's help.

Thanks

TCx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

after extracting the shoutbox zip file you downloaded you will see 2 folders inside of its upload folder.

one called admin and one called public.

you upload those 2 folders to wherever your conf_global.php file is and you make sure to over write any existing files.

then in acp-manage applications you will see an upgrade button next to the existing shoutbox, you may need to refresh page to see it.

I hate when people use cpanel file manager.

really learning to use filezilla (its free) benefits you greatly.

http://filezilla-project.org/download.php

you also uploading the zip file and not extracting and uploading the 2 folders inside of it.

to do it in cpanel you can leave the zip files where they are and right click and choose extract, they will extract inside the folder they are in.

then from inside that new folder copy the public and admin folders over to the public_html folder there.

or pm me ftp and acp access and I normally can do it in 5 minutes.

I was using Shoutbox version 1.3.3 but after updating IPB to version 3.4.0, when anyone posted a link in the Shoutbox it just appeared as plain text rather than a clickable link. Likewise, if it was a link that usually auto-embeds, such as a YouTube link, that would appear as plain text too.

I completely removed version 1.3.3 and installed version 1.3.7 instead, but the same issue persists. The Shoutbox works fine, except all links just appear as plain text instead of being clickable.

Anyone know why? Thanks!

Thanks for the help last night. The app is now installed and working BUT I'd like to remove the 'shoutbox' button from the bar as it is accessible all the time and so this seems pointless. I know that I read somewhere in this thread about that last night, at least I'm convinced I did.

Please can someone give me some direction as to how I make this happen?

Thanks

TCx

p.s. Really sorry to have offended Dmacleo with my use of cPanel. I am completely new to this and only agreed to take on the forum to keep it going for the members who rely on it when the previous owner wanted to sell it or shut it down. I have no technical know how and was just a lowly admin person who has had to deal with being told everything she owns and pays for is completely out of date and I've been trying as hard as I can lol! I've just taken what's been handed over re log ins and links etc and picked up from there. I will investigate filezilla, but it might be beyond me!

^^I had the exact same problem when attempting to install this version of the Shoutbox on 3.4.0. I ended up deleting the uploaded Shoutbox files from the server, which then allowed me to log into the Admin CP as normal, instead of being stuck in that "a new version of the application has been detected...." cycle.

The update to 3.4.0 has totally borked the Shoutbox for me, and even with clean installs, trying the paid version, and trying the tips posted here: -

https://jlogica.com/q2a/19/cant-shout-button-respond-other-weird-behaviour-common-issues

....it still does not work.

Just upgraded JLogica to v3.4 without issue still testing but seems ok. If you are upgrading stuff you really shouldn't be doing a big ipBoard upgrade in he same breath as SB (or any app) most times it is fine but it could be seriously bad for your health both system and personal :tongue:

Been away for a few days at meetings so it will take me a while to catch up....

To get to the ACP with an upgrade pending add the following to your conf_global.php

define( 'SKIP_UPGRADE_CHECK', 1 );

I did not upgrade them both at the same time. We did the ipBoard upgrade and then a few weeks later tried the shoutbox. We really miss the ability to have the shoutbox. Can someone please help? I'm a network systems guy and just am not that familiar with web server SQL scripts or how to run them. I've downloaded pphpMyAdmin and I'm pretty lost. I'm dying here and would appreciate any help at all. Thanks!

Archived