Download: Shoutbox

Pete T

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand you DON'T want to update the free version but a little honesty would be appreciated here. Shoutbox DIES here! It won't work on 3.4. You made ​​it clear you're abandoning the free version, saying you will only update the paid version.

So, why can't I update it to be used on my board ? Am I obliged to buy the new version only to make it compatible with 3.4.0 ? I don't care about the new stuff you gonna add. I don't want them.

I will keep using the old FREE version, just like it is today, updated for me or for anybody else that wants to update it.

Stop being so full of crap, how do you know that it won't work with 3.4 ? -- For the record, I have tested Tracker 2.1.0 Beta 4 with 3.4, and so far the editor works perfectly fine.

Stop being so full of crap, how do you know that it won't work with 3.4 ? -- For the record, I have tested Tracker 2.1.0 Beta 4 with 3.4, and so far the editor works perfectly fine.

Well let's pose the question to Jlogica then and end all speculation. Jlogica, will the free version work on 3.4?

Hey guys, sorry for my stupidity from asking this question, but how do I upload this to my website? As in uplaod i mean how do I even get it to show up in my Cpanel? Im new to all this and dont really have time to search and wonder around the forums looking. So I hope I can get easy assistance from the topic its self, thak you. Lokking forward for having this in my website, I love this. ;)

Hey guys, sorry for my stupidity from asking this question, but how do I upload this to my website? As in uplaod i mean how do I even get it to show up in my Cpanel? Im new to all this and dont really have time to search and wonder around the forums looking. So I hope I can get easy assistance from the topic its self, thak you. Lokking forward for having this in my website, I love this. wink.png

do you have any experience with using ftp?

stay away from using cpanel to upload and extract, best thing to do it extract on computer and upload (through ftp) the contents inside the upload folder to same folder your board runs from.

Yes im in the ftp file. I am just staring at all the folders that show up such as "www" "access-Logs" and "public_Html" and there are others as well but I dont know which one to go into. A quick tutorial like "folder->folder->folder->folder" Lol, im sorry for my laguage but I dont know anything.

Hey guys, sorry for my stupidity from asking this question, but how do I upload this to my website? As in uplaod i mean how do I even get it to show up in my Cpanel? Im new to all this and dont really have time to search and wonder around the forums looking. So I hope I can get easy assistance from the topic its self, thak you. Lokking forward for having this in my website, I love this. wink.png

use the file manager that comes with cpanel .. no need to have anything installed .. zip up the contents inside this app (everything in the upload folder) .. upload that to the root of your site (public_html) .. then extract .. once this is done you should see it in your ACP and can install it form there

Yes im in the ftp file. I am just staring at all the folders that show up such as "www" "access-Logs" and "public_Html" and there are others as well but I dont know which one to go into. A quick tutorial like "folder->folder->folder->folder" Lol, im sorry for my laguage but I dont know anything.

everything inside the applications "upload" folder .. goes directly into the public_html .. that will keep your folder structure in tact

Well let's pose the question to Jlogica then and end all speculation. Jlogica, will the free version work on 3.4?

How the flaming hell am I supposed to know whether something will work with a release I do not have.... all you guys are doing is making me less likely to be considerate you do realise that. Between people slagging me personally, and all the rest of the gumpf what do you think I feel like doing? It is a free application that you have and you continue to act as though I owe you something come on guys get real.

How the flaming hell am I supposed to know whether something will work with a release I do not have.... all you guys are doing is making me less likely to be considerate you do realise that. Between people slagging me personally, and all the rest of the gumpf what do you think I feel like doing? It is a free application that you have and you continue to act as though I owe you something come on guys get real.

I love how you keep acting as if Shoutbox is something you've built from the ground up and strived to bring to the state it is today.

Silly Slim Shady. "I took over this project and I intend to make you pay for it and give me the utmost respect for it!"

Why did you even take it over to begin with if you're going to act this way?

It's great that you volunteered and all, but that's about it. You're selling software you did nothing to contribute to. Will you improve it in the future? Will you keep improving shoutbox to be one of the most popular apps on the marketplace? You haven't proven that yet, you've just put a price sticker on someone else's work. That's all you've done so far and you act surprised that you're getting a negative response on that.

You need to view things from the publics perspective and address things in a civil manner. I'm genuinely trying to give you some constructive advice here.

The same flaming hell way other people are testing their stuff on 3.4. Look, I realize this is aggravating to you. But you need to realize that we board owners are equally as aggravated. If it's going to work with 3.4 so there is a fully functional version for 3.4 with none of the added stuff I think people will be ok with that. You want perks then you should pay the price. But, if you're only offering the free version until 3.4 comes out (which could be any time) then what you are doing is very deceptive. I don't think you should get aggravated with people who are simply wanting to be flaming hell informed. (thanks for the learning of the new phrase)

The same flaming hell way other people are testing their stuff on 3.4. Look, I realize this is aggravating to you. But you need to realize that we board owners are equally as aggravated. If it's going to work with 3.4 so there is a fully functional version for 3.4 with none of the added stuff I think people will be ok with that. You want perks then you should pay the price. But, if you're only offering the free version until 3.4 comes out (which could be any time) then what you are doing is very deceptive. I don't think you should get aggravated with people who are simply wanting to be flaming hell informed. (thanks for the learning of the new phrase)

Hmm this was how I feel when I was a teenager but now I'm older. It seem time to begin charging people LIKE what the new coder is trying to do to have it still supported because nothing is really free. Also yes you are a board owner as the support contract is really only for IPS board software.

3.4 isn't available to 'everyone' yet, it's a QA release, which is why Larry can't test his apps with it yet.

3.4 isn't available to 'everyone' yet, it's a QA release, which is why Larry can't test his apps with it yet.

Ahhh....gotcha. Well, a simple reply such as "I can't test it yet but I will/will not update it to work in 3.4" would have worked just fine for me. The flaming hell comment kinda ruffled my feathers a bit.

The flaming hell comment kinda ruffled my feathers a bit.

Not nice is it, and how can I tell you whether I will do something or not when I have not decided. As I said the attitude of a number of people have my back up and I feel quite justified in being short. This application was going to end up being abandoned, it is a monster, you can't reasonably expect me to commit to work for 'free'.

Not nice is it, and how can I tell you whether I will do something or not when I have not decided. As I said the attitude of a number of people have my back up and I feel quite justified in being short. This application was going to end up being abandoned, it is a monster, you can't reasonably expect me to commit to work for 'free'.

Communication is a beautiful thing. Without it there are assumptions and when one assumes it can lead to problems. The question was asked if the free version which you are offering now will be available when 3.4 comes out. You have yet to answer that question. All I am asking is for you to not lead people astray by saying there will be a free version AND a paid version, particularly when we are on the heels of 3.4 coming out. Of course you should be paid for your work but just be up front with people. TELL THEM that you are either going to offer a unrestricted free version when 3.4 comes out or not....when you decide. It is also of my opinion that it is NEVER justified in being short with someone when they ask you a civil and legitimate question. When you do that all productive forms of communication shuts down and it becomes a game of name calling which does nobody any good. I do appreciate your taking on this project because the Shoutbox is a very useful tool on a lot of forums.

But you haven't really done anything yet. You seem to claim you have, but I haven't seen any significant improvements. As far as I can see, you just rebranded the app and put a price sticker on it.

I don't expect you to dedicate your time and effort for free, but what time and effort are we talking about? How much have you contributed to the app?

Of course people are going to be ciritical and skeptical when you swipe a free app from under their feet without notice or warning and smack a price sticker on it. Yes, you still have a free version, but with 3.4.0 right around the corner it's definitely going to make people uneasy with the sudden change. I think it would have been best to support a free version until you release a version of the Shoutbox with some notable improvements and feature extensions. It would also be good to keep people informed and reassured in a calm and civil manner. People are going to be critical about you making a previously popular and free app paid no matter what. You don't turn around and insult them saying "my time isn't free." That's not how things work.

And not to be rude, but I don't think you were the only one here capeable of maintaining the app. You volunteered though and you got it, that's great. But you're also profiting off this would-be previously abandoned app that someone else dedicated countless hours of their time to.

Let's keep things civil here from both sides. Insulting one another isn't going to get anyone anywhere.

(I'd also like to clarify I'm not trying to dictate the way you should manage or run the application.)

Come on guys, lets stick to the topic this thread is for support not a back and forth battle on this or that. Development is costly and to be honest $12.50 a year for a mod that we all use and like isn't expensive at all, lets be real. When Micheal had it he choose not to charge and he ended up pay the price for that and now that Larry took it over its only fear if he want to charge a little extra to compensate for his time and dedication.

But you haven't really done anything yet. You seem to claim you have, but I haven't seen any significant improvements. As far as I can see, you just rebranded the app and put a price sticker on it

Well that's where you are wrong I released two updates with fixes and new features 'free'.

I may not be the only person who could have taken it over, but a number flat out said they would not, 'no way' etc before I said I would. That being the case you would say I did little for Links as well but there was a major update to that to make it compatible and now there is a 'free' version so that people can try it. Your comments (and others) seem to imply that I am a newbie my track record with other applications seems irrelevant especially to you. I am not forcing you or anyone to buy anything the version that I updated here works whether I update the 'free' no limits want fries with that version is something I will look at only after ipBoard v3.4 is actually in my hands for anyone to expect me to commit to an unknown development effort for a 'free' product is simply unreasonable and some of the things that have been said I find personally offensive.

I'm sorry if you are easily offended, but I think most people here are just confused and want clarification as I did. I don't even use the shoutbox app and I was a little baffled with everything that was going on. I do, however, use Links. I did look at the latest Shoutbox releases, I only see a few very minor fixes. But anyways, when I inquired about things you just called me a troll and dismissed my comments. I probably was a little hostile with my tone, but that's because I didn't understand what was going on. How do you think most people would respond to being treated that way? Do you think they might take it offensive too?

Throwing insults to your potential and already paying clients is not the ethical way to do things. Especially not if you want to be successful. No, this does not mean suck up to everyone and take insults and abuse freely, but it means understanding why people may be irate and trying to work with them in a calm and civil manner.

Put simply, I agree completely with Volstate.

Don't expect everyone to bow down and give you massive amounts of respect because you took over an app they used. Especially when you want to move to a commercial route. That is beyond silly. You got a new app to make money off of. You're not doing it for free anymore, so you don't really have any reason to be hostile and complain. You should try and encourage and reassure people instead of insult them for not respecting you for taking over an app that may have been abandoned.

Let's keep this topic clean, guys, please. The current discussion is going no-where but back and forth. This is a support topic, so let's keep it as such. smile.png

I'm sure JLogica will answer your questions about 3.4 when he actually has a chance to look at 3.4. (which isn't even released yet).

Thanks.

Archived