Download: Shoutbox

Pete T

What does "shout limit 100 active" mean? I see that as a notice on the "free version" I'm hoping it's not what I think it is so please enlighten me smile.png

Changed it to 250 not that I have decided, mostly it will be new features in the paid version, anyway If it were a jillion someone would complain ... The solution (if you want) is to stay on the version of SB you have at present.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mySQL query error: INSERT INTO ibf_shoutbox_stats (`s_date`,`s_count`) VALUES('2012-10-17',802)</div>
<div> </div>
<div>SQL error: Unknown column 's_date' in 'field list'</div>
<div>SQL error code: 1054</div>
<div>Date: Monday 22nd October 2012 01:29:21 AM</div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</div>
<div> Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 01:29:21 +0000</div>
<div> Error: 1054 - Unknown column 's_date' in 'field list'</div>
<div> IP Address: xxx - /forums/admin/upgrade/index.php?app=upgrade§ion=upgrade&do=appclass</div>
<div> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------</div>
<div> mySQL query error: INSERT INTO ibf_shoutbox_stats (`s_date`,`s_count`) VALUES('2012-10-17',802)</div>
<div> .--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.</div>
<div> | File                                                                       | Function                                                                      | Line No.          |</div>
<div> |----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------|</div>
<div> | admin/applications_addon/other/shoutbox/setup/versions/upg_13004/version_upgrade.php| [db_main_mysql].insert                                                        | 48                |</div>
<div> '----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------'</div>
<div> | admin/setup/applications/upgrade/sections/upgrade.php                      | [version_upgrade].doExecute                                                   | 403               |</div>
<div> '----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------'</div>
<div> | admin/setup/applications/upgrade/sections/upgrade.php                      | [upgrade_upgrade].install_appclass                                            | 148               |</div>
<div> | admin/setup/sources/base/ipsController_setup.php                           | [upgrade_upgrade].doExecute                                                   | 258               |</div>
<div> '----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------------------------------------------------------------------+-------------------'
I can see from your tracker this is caused by an old shout box (different one) being installed and the field being left in place... would you be able to provide instructions/query on how best to remove the required problem please?

Just drop the ibf_shoutbox_stats table can't remember if the version number has been updated in ibf_upgrade_history you will need to delete upgrade_version_id 13004 and up if present and re-run the upgrader.

Let's see... sql

DROP TABLE {prefix}shoutbox_stats
DELETE FROM {prefix}upgrade_history WHERE upgrade_version_id > 13003 AND upgade_app = 'shoutbox'

Put this at the bottom of ipshoutbox.css for each skin you want it to work in:

.name {
font-weight:bold;
}

Only seeing ipshoutbox.css in /public/style/css_1 and css_5 folders. Assuming that is not correct but did entire search of my site. I'm pretty thorough so sorry if I'm just plain missing it. If that is the correct spots, I added it there, rebuilt my caches and no luck. Sorry to be a pain.

It also bolded all usernames inside my board but @username never were bold when tagged.

Also, is there a better way to distinguish Guests? Having multiple guests gets very confusing. I understand if not but just curious. Thanks for the great work!

Only seeing ipshoutbox.css in /public/style/css_1 and css_5 folders. Assuming that is not correct but did entire search of my site. I'm pretty thorough so sorry if I'm just plain missing it. If that is the correct spots, I added it there, rebuilt my caches and no luck. Sorry to be a pain.

Also, is there a better way to distinguish Guests? Having multiple guests gets very confusing. I understand if not but just curious. Thanks for the great work!

It's in your ACP> Look & Feel> Nameofskin> CSS

I'd do a backup first :)

I don't allow guests to do anything other than view on my forum so it's not confusing to me LOL

It's in your ACP> Look & Feel> Nameofskin> CSS

I'd do a backup first smile.png

I don't allow guests to do anything other than view on my forum so it's not confusing to me LOL

Never even saw that tab before... wow. Thank you. However, I added it and it did not do @username... but it did bold every username inside my board. If not easy fix, no worries. Again, thanks for pointing out CSS tab... lol.

Changed it to 250 not that I have decided, mostly it will be new features in the paid version, anyway If it were a jillion someone would complain ... The solution (if you want) is to stay on the version of SB you have at present.

So, the shoutbox is going to be limited to 250 shouts? Why limit it at all? Not sure I understand this unless you are trying to push people to buy whatever paid version you plan to come out with.

So, the shoutbox is going to be limited to 250 shouts? Why limit it at all? Not sure I understand this unless you are trying to push people to buy whatever paid version you plan to come out with.

Going forward Shoutbox will be Paid with a 'free' limited version. I will not be upgrading the current 'free' version.

So, if you want and are happy with the current one, that I might add got a few new features since I took it over then you are quite welcome to stay on it. If you want the new stuff being added you will need the paid version. At some point the old versions will need to go away but I am not planning on doing that for a while, the driver to drop the old version will be how much grief they give me rather than pushing people anywhere.

First of all, I am 100% on board with you needing to make this commercial. This thread is 135 pages long and the kind of support needing to keep up with that is not a joke.

But I wanted to point out that this new constraint on the future free* versions is a bit ambiguous. The free one is a like a free trial where it will shut down after 250 posts? And wouldn't people just reinstall it after that?

But I wanted to point out that this new constraint on the future free* versions is a bit ambiguous. The free one is a like a free trial where it will shut down after 250 posts? And wouldn't people just reinstall it after that?

Active shouts .. if you prune your shouts every day and there are less than 250 it will allow new shouts to be added. When you hit 250 it will advise the shouter that the free limitation has been reached. Nothing is lost, you don't need to reinstall, clear the old shouts and it works again. Of course the new features, like the notification sound, are all 'paid' only.

It all looks complicated to me ... sorry for that ... 250 shouts for free, more should be payed ... sound notification = "paid", is this not an add-on from RSyvarth? (I already paid for) ...

A few years ago we were using another shoutbox (paid) but with a lot more features than this one ... we just had paid for the latest version and then the guy in question disapears in the nature ... no more shoutbox after an IPB upgrade !?!?

Please enlight me ;)

Yes, the features that are being added I have already paid for in other hooks. The colored user names, the alert sound...I have all that now with other 3rd party hooks. I realize you are looking to make some money for your work but I really think limiting the shoutbox to 250 shouts to inconvenience people into buying a paid version is wrong. The way to do it is not limit the free version in post count, create your paid version with new features that are so good people won't be able to say no to, and everyone is happy. People still have a good free version and you are making money on the paid version. Limiting post counts is bad business in my opinion...

I agree with everything what you wrote Volstate, and just will ask what is going on here on IPS? Many good coders just do not want more continue with coding, some coders "disappeared", terabyte is not member of IPS Staff, Links directory free for 10 links, shoutbox free for 10 shouts, more and more customers will move to vbulletin connect 5 (readed on vb. sites) ...maybe soon we must pay to use (read) marketplace... never say never ...

regards

bosss

I agree with everything what you wrote Volstate, and just will ask what is going on here on IPS? Many good coders just do not want more continue with coding, some coders "disappeared", terabyte is not member of IPS Staff, more and more customers will move to vbulletin connect 5 (readed on vb. sites) ...maybe soon we must pay to use marketplace... never say never ...

regards

bosss

yours was post 2687 in this topic.

who would want to support all that for nothing?

Who is going to guarantee this product will continue support for the money you are paying? I can't even begin to tell you how many things I have bought from here that are now useless because developers disappear. But as far as this goes, I'd have no problem with a free version that isn't limited but no longer offers new features or support. If people want new features and support, buy the paid version. My problem is limiting the free version to 250 shouts in a strong arm move to force people to the paid version.

well existing users already have the free version that is not limited to 250 unless they upgraded today and ignored the red text that says it will limit them.

thats on them. they don't read the description then its their fault.

I'd dump that free version and make it all paid only.

look at all the crap offering a free version has already caused in just a few hours.

those that want free unlimited use the version they already have installed.

those that want new features and support buy the app.

Jlogica, didn't replied to all posts in this topic, did he?

That being said "all" previous version were free. Shoutbox has been free since 3.0.x release.

Removing the features from current version and moving them to paid version to force customers to buy shoutbox which was free, is not good.

If someone doesn't like working for free then please create shoutbox from ground up and users will think for purchasing application from you.

Removing/limiting features is completely wrong.

Jlogica, didn't replied to all posts in this topic, did he?

That being said "all" previous version were free. Shoutbox has been free since 3.0.x release.

Removing the features from current version and moving them to paid version to force customers to buy shoutbox which was free, is not good.

If someone doesn't like working for free then please create shoutbox from ground up and users will think for purchasing application from you.

Removing/limiting features is completely wrong.

I agree and it doesn't sounds fair and right (see this and this)... you took an APP that was free since its first version... and now wants to make money on it ? If it gives too much work (and you knew it), pass it on... probably anyone else will pick it up. OR NOT.

Unfortunately, every coin has two sides! I see it being widely distributed on warez sites...

Unfortunately, every coin has two sides! I see it being widely distributed on warez sites...

Off course coin has 2 sides.. but here it's not that case.

He didn't coded this application. It was working well with 3.3.x release. Jlogica got all the code from Michael who did outstanding work after getting from IPS. He removed features and added those features to his paid mod to force customers to buy his application.

If he would have added new features to his paid version, I would understand it but here that's not the case. Adding and removing features is completely different thing. By removing features he is trying to make others purchase his application.

If he wants to earn money that much, please code new version from ground up, add features and then sell it with whatever price you see fit.

By removing features, encoding it and forcing customers to use ioncube is completely wrong.

Edit: I see you updated your post Adriano, I agree with you.

MIchael didn't build it either.

whatever, like I said see the pure BS offering a free and paid version causes?

those who don't want to pay can keep on using the same version they have now WITH NO CHANGES.

get that?

no changes.

those that want to install the newest version lose features.

so don't install.

I'm out.

I see it being widely distributed on warez sites...

Piracy is an issue for any commercial software, regardless of what shady enticement practices are going on.

But it seems that a lot of people would be happier if the old versions were not removed. Otherwise, it's kind of like inheriting an island and then bulldozing the public housing projects because it's not in your policy as guardian of the island. Some people may still be unhappy if you discontinue a free option for >3.4, but that should stop the moral shock we're seeing here. The argument is that any future upgrades accommodating >3.4 are clearly your work and your work alone, and therefore you would have an indisputable right to charge for it, any new features being a plus.

Those who have old IPB versions (there are many) can just download the old versions, assuming you don't do this:

At some point the old versions will need to go away.

People want the cutting edge on their sites, and are mostly willing to pay extra since it can be written off as a long-term investment. One example of I already suggested would be to allow people to select their own sound or maybe upload their own. This is just one of many possible ways that you can distinguish the paid version and reach out to a very large market share without nerfing the free version. [edit*]

That being said, I would never install something from a warez site on my forums. All someone would have to do is swap out some bytes at some point in the swarm and then I have ad/spyware on my site, which would be deeply ingrained in my restore points by the time I catch on.
  1. 'Making money' ?? .. let's be serious here if it was my idea to make money ipBoard apps is not the vehicle. So far ipBoard apps are a negative cash flow. You may have your opinion that's fine but maintaining/enhancing a large application costs time, time is money! Like most people I have expenses.
  2. 'Can't Change from Free to Paid' ??
    1. SB is not the first 'free' app to go paid
    2. The existing SB v1.3.7 which by the way I fixed a lot of outstanding issues for for 'free' is available here for download, use it and stop whinging
  3. SB 1.3.8+ is paid the only reason that I will be putting the limited 'free' version online is so that when v1.3.7(and earlier) become incompatible people can try before they buy, sure some features are not in it and it is limited but it lets you see the functionality before paying for it. Why you people carry on as though I owe you something is beyond me.
  4. SB has been through various owners, the last owner finally was fedup by the negativeness from people for his work that was 'free' and the continual whining about 'bugs' that were self inflicted injuries or stuff that was clearly explained in the documentation/FAQ he maintained.

You are quite 'free' to stay on v1.3.7 the same as older ipBoard versions have v1.1.5.

Archived