There's something wrong with .mov files embedding

Go to solution Solved by Daniel F,

3 hours ago, TonyB26 said:

I've just upgraded from 4.5.4.2 to 4.6.7 now have this issue (i.e. cannot download .mov attachments in Chrome) only on new attachments since the upgrade. Existing attachments from before the upgrade work fine. Was there a regression in 4.6.7?

There was an issue with these. Please update to 4.6.8 and test tis again

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2021 at 9:18 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

There was an issue with these. Please update to 4.6.8 and test tis again

I updated the platform to 4.6.8 and the issue is still there in Chrome with .mov files. Any chance that you can check if 4.6.9 works? and let us know? - thanks

• 1 month later...

I see mixed results, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Either way, especially with video (tiktok, fb reels, etc) increasing in popularity, we're going to need world class video management and/or integration for our IPS based sites to evolve with the trends.

I still believe one massively valuable IPS enhancement would/could be direct YouTube (or Vimeo/TikTok/IG/etc) integration via the CKE Editor and upload directly to YouTube then auto-embed the video in the target topic.  I know it's not as simple as an image upload (synchronously) given video size and requires some asynchronous orchestration and updating of the topic post upload, but it's worth the stretch given the trends and would set IPS aside from any other site/community platform that lacks it.  Factor in shear cost savings offloading video to an external site and not eating your hosting cost (whether IPS cloud or self hosted) to store large video files and it's a massive win all around.  JMHO, but it's the trend IPS needs to gain awareness in, look at Facebook, they just committed majorly to Reels and abandoned a lot of other project funding to do so.

Please could you confirm here exactly what it is doing? It should be downloadable if its not embedding? That would be the correct behaviour

13 hours ago, Clover13 said:

I see mixed results, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Either way, especially with video (tiktok, fb reels, etc) increasing in popularity, we're going to need world class video management and/or integration for our IPS based sites to evolve with the trends.

I still believe one massively valuable IPS enhancement would/could be direct YouTube (or Vimeo/TikTok/IG/etc) integration via the CKE Editor and upload directly to YouTube then auto-embed the video in the target topic.  I know it's not as simple as an image upload (synchronously) given video size and requires some asynchronous orchestration and updating of the topic post upload, but it's worth the stretch given the trends and would set IPS aside from any other site/community platform that lacks it.  Factor in shear cost savings offloading video to an external site and not eating your hosting cost (whether IPS cloud or self hosted) to store large video files and it's a massive win all around.  JMHO, but it's the trend IPS needs to gain awareness in, look at Facebook, they just committed majorly to Reels and abandoned a lot of other project funding to do so.

Please post up things like these in our suggestions area. Adding suggestions within a support topic would end up being buried, which Im sure is not your intention there

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 10:30 AM, Marc Stridgen said:

Please could you confirm here exactly what it is doing? It should be downloadable if its not embedding? That would be the correct behaviour

Hi Marc, not my topic but same issue and the answer to your question is:

.mov files not embedded at post creation

IOS Safari - it's automatically embedded and working

Mac OS - Safari same, looks embedded and is playable

Mac OS Chrome - not embedded, but the file behind the link isn't available (translated "the requested content was not found")

image.png.e87a2d3df0d4219f5ecfa6df1af03f57.pngimage.png.136369235d4f8d4d6857332492f95dab.png

I just ran across this same issue when someone attempted to upload a .MOV file to my forum.  It shows as a link in the post and when clicked, it returns the " Sorry! We could not locate the item you are trying to view." error shown earlier.  Troubleshooting on my test environment just now worked correctly for the first attempt, but all subsequent attempts (including retrying the same file that worked initially) fail.  My production and test environments are both on v4.6.10. Our only nonstandard feature is Community Map.  Any ideas?

-John

Edited by Cobar
edited for clarity. I can't type and multi-task

10 hours ago, Cobar said:

I just ran across this same issue when someone attempted to upload a .MOV file to my forum.  It shows as a link in the post and when clicked, it returns the " Sorry! We could not locate the item you are trying to view." error shown earlier.  Troubleshooting on my test environment just now worked correctly for the first attempt, but all subsequent attempts (including retrying the same file that worked initially) fail.  My production and test environments are both on v4.6.10. Our only nonstandard feature is Community Map.  Any ideas?

-John

Please could you provide me with a link to an item which is broken? I can then get a ticket created and that escalated

Sorry for my delay @Marc Stridgen

I confirm, until yesterday we were on the latest release during this event with that issue.

https://www.gunboard.de/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=260757#comment-1015760

Here an actual newly created post as an example. Normally you shouldn't have access, but who nows about your secret weapons in the background 😉 

• Management

The issue is complex but essentially Chrome won't play QuickTime videos. If I remove the QuickTime mime type, it'll play audio but not video.

I have made a fix for April's release to fix the fallback link when you upload a video but do not place it in the editor.

The only way to truly fix this issue is to transcode videos into a standard format all browsers will playback.

4 hours ago, Matt said:

The issue is complex but essentially Chrome won't play QuickTime videos. If I remove the QuickTime mime type, it'll play audio but not video.

I have made a fix for April's release to fix the fallback link when you upload a video but do not place it in the editor.

The only way to truly fix this issue is to transcode videos into a standard format all browsers will playback.

Or build an interface to upload video files to a free video hosting solution (YouTube, Vimeo) that specializes in video handling and easily/automatically embeds it into IPS content.

Users saved on hosting large files and gain ease of management/display of video content.

IPS saves on having to be universal, browser agnostic video processing masters and eliminates all browser related embed/playback issues.

Edited by Clover13

57 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

Or build an interface to upload video files to a free video hosting solution (YouTube, Vimeo) that specializes in video handling and easily/automatically embeds it into IPS content.

Those platforms aren’t really made for this kind of Website-API-Website use. They are meant to build channels for individual accounts on their platform. 
A better example for a dedicated API video service would be https://www.cloudflare.com/products/cloudflare-stream/

8 hours ago, opentype said:

Those platforms aren’t really made for this kind of Website-API-Website use. They are meant to build channels for individual accounts on their platform. 
A better example for a dedicated API video service would be https://www.cloudflare.com/products/cloudflare-stream/

Nice looking solution by Cloudflare, however at a significant cost for hobby sites.  Youtube and Vimeo are free to host.

Could use YouTube's API as easily as Cloudflare's no?

https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3/guides/uploading_a_video

https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3/docs/videos/insert

It would just require an orchestration of the API request and response to then embed the corresponding response video URL within the IPS content editor (a topic or topic reply for example).  Similar to uploading a picture or video here, except it's externalized and the response signature differs.

Edited by Clover13

4 hours ago, Clover13 said:

Could use YouTube's API as easily as Cloudflare's no?

Yes, but who owns the channel? If it’s the site owner, they are responsible for any content the users might upload. Get 3 copyright strikes and all videos are gone forever. Again, it’s just not meant to be free API storage. 

Edited by opentype