Questions about Invision Community Classic

Go to solution Solved by Jim M,

Hello, I have been using the 30 day trial and I find it excellent, I have been using other platforms for the last few years and I find this one very clean and intuitive.

I have a few questions that will determine whether or not I purchase a classic license. I have written directly to the sales email but have not received a response. Somebody could help me?

My doubts are the following:

1. What exactly do I get with the Classic version? It indicates it on the pricing page but it seems like very little information to me. Do you have detailed specifications indicating limitations?
2. I understand that we are currently running version 4. If I purchase the classic license right now, will I be able to upgrade to version 5 for free or will I have to renew again?
3. Do you plan to launch Courses in the Classic version? For new forums on a budget, it is almost impossible to purchase a $149 per month plan and be able to use the updated courses.
4. If I buy the classic version, do I have to renew my license to update the software whenever I want or do I have any limits?
5. Are Clubs included in the classic license?

• Solution
40 minutes ago, Myke Pro said:

I have written directly to the sales email but have not received a response. Somebody could help me?

Apologies, our sales department is a little backed up at the moment. Looks like someone responded to your initial concerns though.

41 minutes ago, Myke Pro said:

1. What exactly do I get with the Classic version? It indicates it on the pricing page but it seems like very little information to me. Do you have detailed specifications indicating limitations?

Classic is all our applications, hosted on your own machine. Classic does not include Courses, our "live" feature items, video encoding, and some other features which are cloud only at this time.

43 minutes ago, Myke Pro said:

2. I understand that we are currently running version 4. If I purchase the classic license right now, will I be able to upgrade to version 5 for free or will I have to renew again?

You would need to have an active license but you will gain access to version 5, at this time.

3. Do you plan to launch Courses in the Classic version? For new forums on a budget, it is almost impossible to purchase a $149 per month plan and be able to use the updated courses.

It is Cloud only at this time. There are no plans to change this.

4. If I buy the classic version, do I have to renew my license to update the software whenever I want or do I have any limits?

To gain access to software upgrades, support, the spam defense system, GEO IP address, etc... requires an active license. 

44 minutes ago, Myke Pro said:

5. Are Clubs included in the classic license?

Yes, that is a Core feature.

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

Apologies, our sales department is a little backed up at the moment. Looks like someone responded to your initial concerns though.

Classic is all our applications, hosted on your own machine. Classic does not include Courses, our "live" feature items, video encoding, and some other features which are cloud only at this time.

You would need to have an active license but you will gain access to version 5, at this time.

It is Cloud only at this time. There are no plans to change this.

To gain access to software upgrades, support, the spam defense system, GEO IP address, etc... requires an active license. 

Yes, that is a Core feature.

Thank you very much, you have clarified all my doubts, when do you plan to release version 5?

2 minutes ago, Randy Calvert said:

There is not a set date for release. However the software is not far away from release. It’s being tested for bugs by some members of the community here. So it will be sooner than later!

Thank you very much for the information.

5. This won't make sense to anyone except IPS people, but IPS considers Clubs to be part of the Core application, which is available for everyone.  Core also includes Status Updates, Messenger, Community Hive, and other foundational features.  

1. You're getting all of the applications, except for Courses.  

You also won't have access to cloud-specific features like Live Topics, Community Experts, etc.  But the basic applications themselves, such as forums and galleries and blogs, will be fine. 

For people who are new to the IPS ecosystem, the app that I would point you to is the Pages app, which is the most complex but also the most powerful.