traffic and registrations down ​🫤

Posted (edited)

Since upgrading from 4.1 to 4.7 and migrating from self hosted to ICC at the beginning of this year I've noticed that my daily registrations and overall site activity has plummeted to a fraction of what it was prior to those moves

Any idea what might be a probable cause for that kind of decrease ?

Could contain:

Edited by Jelly Belly™

In my own investigation for my own site… this was due to bad registrations not happening. Fewer bots/automated accounts were completing registration than before.

My number of posts/pageviews and other indicators of activity were just fine and increasing as expected. 

2 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

this was due to bad registrations not happening. Fewer bots/automated accounts were completing registration than before.

I had taken that into consideration
before upgrading and migrating I used to manually approve all new accounts checking each email, username and IP against clean talk etc before approving so I have a fairly good idea how many bots/automated accounts were signing up before, now I just let IPS spam defence using the default settings

2 hours ago, Randy Calvert said:

My number of posts/pageviews and other indicators of activity were just fine and increasing as expected.

unfortunately mine have dropped at roughly the same rate as registrations, people who were very active site regulars for years have not been seen for ages

I seem to remember similar happened when we upgraded from 3.4 -4.1 as well

2 minutes ago, Jelly Belly™ said:

people who were very active site regulars for years have not been seen for ages

What is the definition of "ages"? Before your migration to Cloud? If so, this may just be an ebb or flow of a natural community process. If not, you may wish to reach out to these individuals that you know haven't been on since the migration to see if they are encountering any issues. Could be as simple as they forgot their password and don't have access to the email 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

What is the definition of "ages"?

since around the same time as we upgraded and migrated which was late January this year

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

If so, this may just be an ebb or flow of a natural community process.

this is the biggest ebb in 24 years, the last big one was when invision chat was withdrawn, that did cause a huge drop as our chatroom was very popular but since then its been recovering although not to previous levels

1 hour ago, Jim M said:

If not, you may wish to reach out to these individuals that you know haven't been on since the migration to see if they are encountering any issues. Could be as simple as they forgot their password and don't have access to the email 🤷‍♂️

I've tried that but as my only contact with these members is email, if they don't have access they will never know that I reached out

I'm not trying to blame the software or the hosting, just trying to make sense of why we have dropped so much, wondering if perhaps I've done anything my end that could have cause an issue

On a similar note, I've recently started using google analytics and search insights and it says that over 11 million pages of my site can't be indexed even though the content exists and is viewable by guests 🫤

Some thoughts: 

1. Google is going to do what Google wants.  🤪

2. You can try to be proactive and to streamline your registration.  This means: setting up more social sign-ins like Microsoft, Apple, and Google; allowing post before register; making sure that your guest widget is on all pages; choosing the simple registration versus the full page registration, etc.