There's something wrong with .mov files embedding

Go to solution Solved by Daniel F,

8 hours ago, opentype said:

Yes, but who owns the channel? If it’s the site owner, they are responsible for any content the users might upload. Get 3 copyright strikes and all videos are gone forever. Again, it’s just not meant to be free API storage. 

The site would own the channel in my case, but good point on malicious content.  Does Cloudflare not enforce copyrighting or just have more leniency because you're paying for the service?  I'd imagine somewhere in their ToS they have a similar limit.

You'd like need an approval process to prevent that, but that disrupts the entire workflow of users posting content and it automatically being present and creating interactions (few go "back" to look at something later).  Conversely, I don't know if YouTube (or any solution) has a realtime pre-scan for violations that could catch these, block the upload, and be tied into the request/response workflow.

EDIT: 

Looking into it here shows the takedown request process:  https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7648743?hl=en

I'm not sure if YouTube just takes it down or sends a request to the channel owner and gives them an opportunity to correct the problem.  Either way I'd imagine you're at risk after N violations that you'll lose your channel.

And there is an auto-check on upload for copyright issues (at least in Studio) per:  https://www.engadget.com/youtube-copyright-check-video-upload-144103931.html

4 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Any suggestions like these really need to be posted within our suggestions area. However as mentioned above, using youtube directly has quite some drawbacks

It has been here:  

Edited by Clover13

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2022 at 7:16 AM, Matt said:

The issue is complex but essentially Chrome won't play QuickTime videos. If I remove the QuickTime mime type, it'll play audio but not video.

I have made a fix for April's release to fix the fallback link when you upload a video but do not place it in the editor.

The only way to truly fix this issue is to transcode videos into a standard format all browsers will playback.

@Matt is there a tracker link for this issue/bug?  Seeing the same on my site. 

8 hours ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Im not sure what you would be reporting here. As Matt mentioned, this will be in our April release.

He's fixing the linking but mentioned "The only way to truly fix this issue is to transcode videos into a standard format all browsers will playback."  Is that being tracked as a possible enhancement in the future?

6 minutes ago, Clover13 said:

He's fixing the linking but mentioned "The only way to truly fix this issue is to transcode videos into a standard format all browsers will playback."  Is that being tracked as a possible enhancement in the future?

You're welcome to suggest this in our official Feature Suggestion forum. We are aware of this but not something we may be able to offer support for due to the complexities involved with that on the server end. I'm afraid, there really isn't any further information I can provide at this time.

21 hours ago, Jim M said:

You're welcome to suggest this in our official Feature Suggestion forum. We are aware of this but not something we may be able to offer support for due to the complexities involved with that on the server end. I'm afraid, there really isn't any further information I can provide at this time.

Thanks Jim, I did, as mentioned in this topic page above.

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Just to add to that, mov itself isn't actually a supported format officially on html5 video. While it will work on Safari, it won't on most

Hi Marc,

I reported because it was working I do not know when, sure after 4.6.10 it stop working.

I always use Chrome when browsing most of the site.

Either way, thanks for the reply, but I wonder why you guys said in this thread more than once it was fixed then?

Regards,

7 minutes ago, abobader said:

I always use Chrome when browsing most of the site.

I'm afraid, .MOV has never been compatible with Chrome. Only Safari.

8 minutes ago, abobader said:

but I wonder why you guys said in this thread more than once it was fixed then?

There was an issue where the download option for browsers that do not support the file type was not working. Now it is 🙂 .

28 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Don't misrepresent my comments to meet your own needs.

Nathan, I do not do that, I just report and link to the thread, no one here misrepresent your word, and I do not see the words "to meet your own need" fit in anything, I simply reported it was working before 4.6.11.

To IPS support, if that as it now, that fine I will not post about it anymore.