Paypal on IPB 4.4 ??

SJ77

Please note that while existing setups will work fine, from 4.4 it will no longer be possible to set up a new PayPal method with either Billing Agreements, or to take payments by card, as PayPal has deprecated the API this was using in favour of Braintree and it can no longer be enabled on new accounts.

I am concerned about the above. I sell monthly memberships using paypal that move people between a regular member group and a VIP member group. I also use paypal for mass payouts.

Help me to understand, this won't work on Paypal anymore if I upgrade?

PS: I tried to use Braintree and they rejected me. So that's not an option for me.

• Management

At this time, as of 4.4, it will not be possible to setup a new gateway to use PP billing agreements -- you would need to use Braintree. Existing billing agreements will still work. 

Could you please provide details on the Braintree rejection? I've seen some reports that they are disallowing personal sites and I'd appreciate further information so we can reevaluate the gateways if necessary. You're welcome to email the information to me if you'd rather not post it here. 

Many thanks.

It was total crap because I have an extremely high credit score

Thanks for your interest in Braintree. Unfortunately, after a very thorough review of your application and information, our underwriters have determined that we are unable to underwrite you for a merchant account as we are unable to support your business model. I wish I had better news for you. 

The below information is required for all declined applications and may not apply to your application
Our decision was based in whole or in part on information obtained in a report from the consumer reporting agency listed below. You have a right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to know the information contained in your credit file at the consumer reporting agency. The reporting agency played no part in our decision and is unable to supply specific reasons why we declined your application.

In accordance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act, you have the right to obtain a free copy of your consumer report within 60 days by contacting the consumer reporting agency at the address and telephone number below. You also have the right to obtain one free credit report annually from each of the national consumer reporting agencies. Please refer to these documents if you have further questions. You have the right to dispute the accuracy or completeness of the information contained in the report by contacting the consumer reporting agency below:

To be clear can I get a simple yes or no to each of the following

1. I can continue to sell members upgrades to their account for 1 month durations using PayPal?

2. I can continue doing mass payouts to my contributions for files they sell using downloads? 

Thank you @Lindy

• Management

I'm really sorry to hear that and appreciate you sharing that information. Let me get on this internally and see what we can come up with. I'll report back with more information.

Edit: Sorry - missed your questions. 

1. Yes, if you already have it setup, it should continue to work. 

2. Yes, in fact, we do this via the Marketplace. 

2 hours ago, SJ77 said:

It was total crap because I have an extremely high credit score

Does anyone know what Braintree requires or considers an acceptable credit score? I've never applied.

If say they reject under a 725 credit score I personally don't blame them (from experience).

As of IPS 4.4 Beta 4 my Paypal, at least through donations is working. It wasn't until Beta 4 but does in 4.4 Final. I don't have Braintree.

2 hours ago, SJ77 said:

Thanks for your interest in Braintree. Unfortunately, after a very thorough review of your application and information, our underwriters have determined that we are unable to underwrite you for a merchant account as we are unable to support your business model. I wish I had better news for you. 

They are probably looking at the videos what are sold and not the subcriptions you are offering and that is a default email sent to rejections,

2 hours ago, SJ77 said:

The below information is required for all declined applications and may not apply to your application

I don't see how a credit score comes into it as you are not loaning money from them that is probably for a lend me $$$ application, it does say that in the quote above it may not apply to your application

You may not use the Payment Services in connection with any product, service, transaction or activity that involves:

Check number 45.

Just a small note....

Our decision was based in whole or in part on information obtained in a report from the consumer reporting agency listed below. You have a right under the Fair Credit Reporting Act to know the information contained in your credit file at the consumer reporting agency. The reporting agency played no part in our decision and is unable to supply specific reasons why we declined your application.

In accordance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act, you have the right to obtain a free copy of your consumer report within 60 days by contacting the consumer reporting agency at the address and telephone number below. You also have the right to obtain one free credit report annually from each of the national consumer reporting agencies. Please refer to these documents if you have further questions. You have the right to dispute the accuracy or completeness of the information contained in the report by contacting the consumer reporting agency below:

This is standard "boiler plate" information required under the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) and may not actually be relevant to your specific case. If a company pulls a credit report and uses that in part or in whole to determine your eligibility for something, and then denies your application, they must inform you that they pulled your credit report and that you have a right to obtain a free copy. It doesn't mean that was the reason necessarily.

8 hours ago, TheJackal84 said:

They are probably looking at the videos what are sold and not the subcriptions you are offering and that is a default email sent to rejections,

I don't see how a credit score comes into it as you are not loaning money from them that is probably for a lend me $$$ application, it does say that in the quote above it may not apply to your application

Check number 45.

The gave me some follow up email about how their service is like a line of credit because they accept payment before being funded or something. I could look it up if it mattered but nothing will change their minds. I tried.

Also I don't use it to sell the videos only subscriptions. I've been audited by paypal multiple times and they are ok with it, so braintree makes no sense. I think they just plain don't like the topic.

10 hours ago, Lindy said:

Edit: Sorry - missed your questions. 

1. Yes, if you already have it setup, it should continue to work. 

2. Yes, in fact, we do this via the Marketplace. 

Sometimes I need things explained in simpleton terms. Thank you 🙂

I am confused a tiny bit. Just to clarify. When we upgrade to 4.4 does this mean we will no longer be able to make brand new yearly subscriptions with paypal? only the old susbscriptions will continue to recur?

Also, what about stripe, they do recurring but i guess only as long as the card is active.

32 minutes ago, loccom said:

I am confused a tiny bit. Just to clarify. When we upgrade to 4.4 does this mean we will no longer be able to make brand new yearly subscriptions with paypal? only the old susbscriptions will continue to recur?

Also, what about stripe, they do recurring but i guess only as long as the card is active.

Nothing is removed or changed. Just a different provider was added as option.

7 minutes ago, opentype said:

Nothing is removed or changed. Just a different provider was added as option.

This sounds different:

On 2/21/2019 at 6:03 AM, Lindy said:

At this time, as of 4.4, it will not be possible to setup a new gateway to use PP billing agreements -- you would need to use Braintree. Existing billing agreements will still work. 

Right now, if you do NOT have PayPal set up to accept Billing Agreements and you upgrade to 4.4, you will be unable to set up Billing Agreements for PayPal. If you already accept Billing Agreements and upgrade to 4.4 nothing will change for you. New users will be able to establish billing agreements and everything will work as it always has.

We are further evaluating the concerns some users have raised getting approved by Braintree and may (or may not) make further changes in a future release. The above represents the current behavior at this time when you upgrade to 4.4.0.

1 minute ago, bfarber said:

Right now, if you do NOT have PayPal set up to accept Billing Agreements and you upgrade to 4.4, you will be unable to set up Billing Agreements for PayPal. If you already accept Billing Agreements and upgrade to 4.4 nothing will change for you. New users will be able to establish billing agreements and everything will work as it always has.

We are further evaluating the concerns some users have raised getting approved by Braintree and may (or may not) make further changes in a future release. The above represents the current behavior at this time when you upgrade to 4.4.0.

cheers for clarifying dude.

So, the way i read this, we need to set up PP agreement before upgrading to 4,4.
Can i do this even if i don't have the commerce/shop part of the suite? I don't think i'll need the commerce just yet, but would hate to not be able to use PP if i upgrade to 4,4 at some point.

Is there a link to a guide on how to set up a PP agreement, without the commerce part?

34 minutes ago, bfarber said:

I couldn't find any clear instructions (or indication) from PayPal to see if we already have or how to set up billing agreements (from the perspective of taking subscriptions from users) - can you please clarify how we can check if we have this in place already or not?

On 2/21/2019 at 6:03 AM, Lindy said:

Could you please provide details on the Braintree rejection? I've seen some reports that they are disallowing personal sites and I'd appreciate further information so we can reevaluate the gateways if necessary. You're welcome to email the information to me if you'd rather not post it here. 

Many thanks.

@Lindy For European customers it would be great if you can integrate Mollie. It's very easy to do and they support all known credit, debit & mobile apps.

https://www.mollie.com/en/

• Management

I'm very sorry for all of the confusion and the headaches Braintree has given you. We are quickly evaluating the concerns internally and I suspect that while we will leave Braintree in place as it is a good solution for established businesses (and the only solution if you wish to accept credit card funded PayPal billing agreements) - we will need to update and reintroduce PayPal billing agreements with the native gateway. We will get more information together soon. 

In the interim, I would like to again clarify that if you have PayPal billing agreements setup currently - they will continue to work in 4.4. If you add them to 4.3 before upgrading to 4.4, they will continue to work. 

If you have any issues or run into a wall with Braintree but need to accept billing agreements, please submit a ticket and we'll do our best to assist. 

Thank you. 

@Lindy - 

Braintree is horrible. 

Thanks for your interest in Braintree. Unfortunately, after a very thorough review of the business application and information, our underwriters have determined that we are unable to underwrite the business for a merchant account. I wish I had better news for you. 

More or less, they have done hard hit on my credit score which would result in an issue with me finalizing my house loan terms. I am about to begin house purchase procedure and that hard query check was not all required. No where clearly it was mentioned that they will do hard query check during application. 

I strongly suggest, anyone from US - to stay away from Braintree tards. Seriously, now it's just hassle for me to get that credit check to be removed. Now i need to take it up with Experian which is another hassle. I will be going with BBB route. 

Each credit card company provides clear message for credit check. With Braintree, they are not even giving me any loan, so I am not sure why hard hit was required. Soft query, would be more then OK. But then again lesson learned.  

Ouch, sorry to hear that. 😯

I actually had to look up "hard hit":

Hard inquiries do affect your credit score. You will likely know about them — or rather, you had better know about them — because your consent is required. A hard inquiry is triggered when you actually apply for credit, such as a mortgage, credit card, auto loan, student loan, personal loan or business loan.

Yet Braintree are the ones holding our money not us holding theirs...

Having read a number of reviews of Braintree, I won't be touching it. Yes, I know there's always "complainerz" – but the quantity and descriptions why (not just "I hatez it!!!"), suggest to me that sadly, these are not the people I'm looking for...

If PayPal do ever remove subscriptions, well I'm glad there's still some other options.

Archived