4.3 Search Changes

Charles

• Management

We announced the 4.3 search improvements recently. If you have not had a look please read the news entry:

One of the big changes was the addition of Elasticsearch as an option but there were improvements to search overall no matter what method you are using.

Right now we are using normal MySQL searching along with the new interface and backend logic. Later this week we will enabling Elasticsearch.

So I wanted to give everyone notice of this upcoming change so those of you who are heavy search users could compare the search experience now and then later this week when Elasticsearch is enabled. I will let you know in this topic when we do that.

As always, please post beta bugs in the bug tracker. Thanks!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Charles said:

Enabled on our site now. Give it a bit to index then report any issues to the bug tracker. Thanks!

I doubt it's already fully indexed and already SO SO SO MUCH BETTER!! FINALLY!! this is awesome

4 minutes ago, SJ77 said:

I doubt it's already fully indexed and already SO SO SO MUCH BETTER!! FINALLY!! this is awesome

Yea, the search index is still being rebuilt, you can see it on the search site, because the "bar" is still being shown:)

search.png

But I'm really glad that you already noticed a difference and that you like it.

1 hour ago, Thomas P said:

Hi,

as it seems searching with wildcards isn't possible...

When searching for the term 'password' I get results, using 'passwor*' or 'passwor?' doesn't render any results.

Is there a reason why?

Thanks,
Thomas

I tried searching now for "invis" and it did get the results for "invision", so it works.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24.3.2018 at 9:25 AM, Thomas P said:

Could someone confirm?

Yes I can. If I search for start* it does not find the match startseite.

@Charles
Instead of wildcard support (or in addition to it), we would like to have the ngram-tokenizers integrated - including the possibility to configure min_gram, max_gram and token_chars in the ACP. Compound words (e.g. "Kriminalpolizei") are used very often in German. With the current settings, Elasticsearch does not find them when searching for the individual words (for example "kriminal", "polizei")

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like that it's not possible to search for an exact word order with the new search. If type in "big changes", with the old engine I got all posts containing these exact term. Now I get no result, if search the same without the " I get some results but it's not satisfying. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2018 at 4:02 AM, sobrenome said:

Will the new elastic search "intelligent"search system that recognizes singular, plural and typos be used to tagging system also? It would be awesome if so!

Invision: just provide an optional a link to Google search ( CSE or not ) and this feature would become available. You can never match what the Google search engine can do.

Archived