4.3 Search Changes

Charles

17 hours ago, Peter Wagemans said:

Invision: just provide an optional a link to Google search ( CSE or not ) and this feature would become available. You can never match what the Google search engine can do.

I used the Google CSE mod back in IPBoard 3.  I still use Google to search my current Invision Community 4.  

But Google has it's limitations.  It can't search non-public content.  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Ryan Ashbrook said:

Searching Commerce products was introduced in 4.3.

Oh, I must have missed something.  I'll look for this for sure... been missing the commerce search feature since I upgraded from version 3.

Thank you for your fast reply.

Guylain

1 minute ago, guyroch said:

Oh, I must have missed something.  I'll look for this for sure... been missing the commerce search feature since I upgraded from version 3.

Thank you for your fast reply.

Guylain

It's only available on 4.3.0 or above, so check your version.  

58 minutes ago, Dragonpol said:

How do I check if my hosting provider meets the minimum requirements for the upgrade?

There isn't any new requirements from 4.x to 4.3.  You can use the same test script of you are on an older 3.x version still though  

On 4/21/2018 at 11:53 AM, Peter Wagemans said:

Invision: just provide an optional a link to Google search ( CSE or not ) and this feature would become available. You can never match what the Google search engine can do.

I really wish Google site search was integrated. Google Analytics is, so why not. I realise there needs to be another option as well (for indexing on non-public content), but even if the other option is actually better, people are used to Google and they know how it works. 

On 4/22/2018 at 6:11 AM, Joel R said:

But Google has it's limitations.  It can't search non-public content.

On my forum, all content is public. Search scope is unimportant, as it is only a forum, no other modules. It has about 60K posts. I recently had people reporting that the search returned only a few results. I found out that the forum search index was corrupted and things worked back again after rebuilding it. But while we were in the process of debugging the problem, Google was used to compare results. And it did return more results because of the singular/plural thing, something rather sophisticated, if you consider this forum is in... Dutch. The forum is completely non-commercial, so I prefer not to spend extra cash on modules that might break after an upgrade anyway. So an optional integrated Google search would mean to me:

• I do not have to worry about, or maintain the search index
  • People would get more search results, in a format they are used to

I might be looking in the wrong places, and not spend enough time searching for it ( no pun intended ) but I honestly can not find an article that explains what elastic search really does. Can anyone help me with a link to the right place?

7 minutes ago, Peter Wagemans said:

I might be looking in the wrong places, and not spend enough time searching for it ( no pun intended ) but I honestly can not find an article that explains what elastic search really does. Can anyone help me with a link to the right place?

Never mind , found it. I get it. I see it is "open source and free to use" though. Considering I run a self hosted site, can I easily add and configure an elasticsearch server to my local server. Or is this complicated and something that is better used as yet another paying subscription. In which case I am totally uninterested.

I'm usually fairly comfortable with the technical side of things, but reading up on elasticsearch got me confused. I barely understand a fraction of that page. Submitted a support ticket to my hosts yesterday to ask about their support and it's been 24 hours, rather than the usual immediate response.

I know Google Site Search has its limitations. I can live with them.

On 4/26/2018 at 9:01 AM, AlexJ said:

Search in spoilers is not working, while it used to work in IPS 3.4.x versions. Is their anything that can be done for it? 

We strip spoiler content from the search index (because we strip all HTML, and if we didn't then the "hidden" content is shown by default which is undesirable).

2 hours ago, bfarber said:

We strip spoiler content from the search index (because we strip all HTML, and if we didn't then the "hidden" content is shown by default which is undesirable).

Thank you for the update. How it used to work in IPB 3.4? I believe it did had the option to hide post, no? Just curious.

Is it possible to enhance search so that when i search members using custom field it get's searched through it? 

On 4/27/2018 at 11:37 AM, AlexJ said:

Thank you for the update. How it used to work in IPB 3.4? I believe it did had the option to hide post, no? Just curious.

Is it possible to enhance search so that when i search members using custom field it get's searched through it? 

3.4 had pre-display parsing and no separate search index - it's a huge difference.

Is there a way to control the search scope per page again?

We have Articles set up as a knowledgebase and then the rest of the community as a forum, so when a user is on an Articles page, they would always want the scope to be Articles, and everywhere else the scope could be global. If this is already available somewhere and I simply missed it, apologies.

Sorry if this has been addressed and I just couldn't find it, but are "phrases in quotes" broken, or what? I notice that on this very forum if i search for invision community, one of the options is to change the search to "invision community" which then returns 0 results.

On 5/9/2018 at 5:06 PM, Linguica said:

Sorry if this has been addressed and I just couldn't find it, but are "phrases in quotes" broken, or what? I notice that on this very forum if i search for invision community, one of the options is to change the search to "invision community" which then returns 0 results.

Noticed this on my devboard as well.  As soon as I click the button in the search to search with quotes, suddenly zero results.

Also I would REALLY like the ability to search for posts by an author with no query.  I wanted to build something into topics to search all the posts in a topic by a certain author and this would be a THOUSAND times easier if the search worked this way like some of the other forums (vB) or older versions of this one.  Would be nice to have a button people could click to see all posts by a certain author in a topic and I wouldn't have to spend hours and hours coding something if I could just link straight to my search.  I could do that quite easily if I could just throw all that info into a URL. ?

Does the search index table reduce in size? Or become completely irrelevant since search would no longer be SQL based?

And assuming the latter then can anyone confirm if the size of their elastisearch index/DB is the same size as their SQL search index table? Basically if my search index table is 1GB in the SQL default can I expect the same amount of space consumption in elastisearch, just on the server rather than in SQL?

Note - Search on here seems to be working fine and pretty snappy for me

19 hours ago, Linguica said:

Here's another strange quirk: search these forums for the word "angry" and then for the word "anger". Searching for "anger" makes the search term be highlighted and with "angry" nothing gets highlighted.

There can be some minor inconsistencies with highlighting right now when using Elasticsearch because it supports stemming natively (meaning searching for anger will find both anger and angry), however our highlighting functionality does not take this into account. It is a minor issue that we are aware of and looking to improve upon in a future release.

Archived