Letters avatars for members without profile photo

Janyour

20 hours ago, CodingJungle said:

the avatars are stored in uploads/n2a (they might stick around after the app is uninstalled, but they are easily located to be removed), but as for the users profiles they will revert back to the eggman or whatever default avatar you set for them to have if they didn't select on on their own. it doesn't actually save to their member record, it sees if they have an avatar selected, as it normally just return the default avatar's url, instead it will return the n2a avatar generated for them. once the image is generated and they don't change their name or you don't mess with any settings, the same image url image will be returned. 

I wanted it to have as little actual impact on everything, incase it is removed or if IPS rolls out their own (or for some reason i suddenly turn into a prick and refuse to update it or something). I was going to have it store to the member's record and the more i thought about it the more i was like "nope that is a bad idea".

Thank you for doing this man...

Great job again... New version works like a charm... :)

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, opentype said:

Have it running on all me 3 public sites now. Can’t really imagine them anymore without it. ;-) 

I know what you mean, I turned it off the other night to debug a issue that i wasn't sure was being caused by it or not (it wasn't) and i was like "bleh, its so bland now" :). I've even have considered disabling uploading their own avatar's, and forcing everyone to have a n2a :), as i don't really have a community per se so i don't think a lot of people would object. 

I've been enjoying it.

About the only thing I think I could ask for is to supply a "base image" and color that image rather than coloring the square (or circle). I believe in GD or ImageMagick it'd basically just be a mask.

That way sites could still have their "branding" (our default avatar is our site's logo with a small "Please upload an avatar") while still making unique avatars in both color and the one- or two-letter images.

But, I totally get why that probably won't be added. It's donation-ware right now, and that's more work.

FWIW, I will donate here soon. I'm waiting until I'm paid for something here soon via PayPal. It's been working well on my site. Thank you.

13 hours ago, iacas said:

I've been enjoying it.

About the only thing I think I could ask for is to supply a "base image" and color that image rather than coloring the square (or circle). I believe in GD or ImageMagick it'd basically just be a mask.

That way sites could still have their "branding" (our default avatar is our site's logo with a small "Please upload an avatar") while still making unique avatars in both color and the one- or two-letter images.

But, I totally get why that probably won't be added. It's donation-ware right now, and that's more work.

FWIW, I will donate here soon. I'm waiting until I'm paid for something here soon via PayPal. It's been working well on my site. Thank you.

I like the idea about having a "blank" image to work from, it currently creates the image out the ether. I'll see what i can do the next time i have a some throw away time :). i removed imagemagick from it, cause the more i added, the more annoying and inaccurate imagemagick was becoming when trying to center the font, i wasn't able to programmatically come up with a solution i was happy with.

I really don't want any one thinking its "donation-ware" as that is not my intent with putting a link to my paypal.me, a few people had inquired if they could send me a "thanks" via paypal (and instead of replying to a half dozen or more PM's, it just easier to put it there if some one really wants to show a monetary gratitude :) ), i don't want anyone thinking they are obligated :). I'd be just as happy with a glowing review on it :).  I honestly only have a few hours tied up in it, maybe 3 hours at most.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 11:13 AM, CodingJungle said:

what i might do, is give you a way to upload a ttf for it, select it to use that one, and then give you top/left offset so people can adjust accordingly to generate a centered image. might even remove imagemagick as its proving to be the difficult one now :( 

Hey, where do you get the free fonts?

2 hours ago, media said:

Hey, where do you get the free fonts?

you can go to google like opentype suggested, i like:

https://fontlibrary.org/

34 minutes ago, steve00 said:

Wow ... they do not like going to that site using IE11 (apparently not supported)

you are the only one that uses IE 11 still :) https://fontlibrary.org/ might work with it :) 

12 minutes ago, steve00 said:

Perhaps ... but then as a theme creator use 3 browsers to check all ok

No big deal though

IE 11 has been surpassed by Edge :) I actually like Edge, it gets regular updates and pretty fast :) 

8 minutes ago, nodle said:

Just noticed they added "Planned" to this. Looks like it will be coming officially without having to use an add on. Looking forward to it.

click on the tag, there are a lot of things with "planned' that have remained in limbo for awhile, just saying :p 

7 minutes ago, media said:

I went both addresses, but no free fonts...

Hm? Those sites have ONLY free fonts. 

7 minutes ago, media said:

I would like to get and try verdana... 

Verdana is a “system font”, not really a free font. If you upload the Verdana from your computer to your website (and by that make it available for download for everyone), you are violating the license agreement. 

1 minute ago, opentype said:

Verdana is a “system font”, not really a free font. If you upload the Verdana from your computer to your website (and by that make it available for download for everyone), you are violating the license agreement. 

with n2a it doesn't actually allow you to download the font, not sure where the "legal" gray area is with this, as the images created will be using the "fontface" but the actual font file wouldn't be available. now you if you linked it as a webfont, then i could see where a problem could arise. 

this is why i like development, most 3rd party code is listed usually what sort of license can be used!

Just now, media said:

Wow, learned new things ha... :)

its one of those annoying things where trademark/copyright laws haven't quite caught up with the internet. if i tell css to use font "arial" it will use it as long as the persons machine has it, but if i tell a php script to use it, and the machine has it, it will use it, but if i generate an image with it, well that is sorta a weird area to be in, one i'd rather not have to deal with tbh :) so roboto it is!

51 minutes ago, opentype said:

I am not uploading anything, still learning this...

If I do not upload any type of font, does this plugin use the verdana font on front-end user computer?

1 hour ago, David T. Cole said:

Loving this @CodingJungle! I have one suggestion for us on IPS enterprise servers which would be to change the font declaration to a path (or accept resource code?) as we do not have FTP access and need to request uploads. Not a critical thing obviously. Thank you for the plugin!

added in an uploader in the settings, where you can upload a ttf/ttc/otf font file (it will store it in uploads/n2aFont), it will override the "Font File" field (including the default font). 

Archived