Let's vote for Post Preview feature

ehku

56 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Curiosity - what did they do previously? The thing I'm not getting with this example, unless I'm missing something, is that image urls have not automatically parsed previously (ie in pre-4.x) and for them to show up in the preview then they would have had to use the image bbcode tags....which would be parsed by the preview option.

[img][/img]

So when they pasted images previously, what was it that they were actually doing to have them then show up in the preview?

They did paste all the img tag from photobucket using a large list with all the images and did then click the preview button and all the img tags was shown as images, then it was easy to add the text to the correct image.

It don't have to be a preview button, but have to be a feature that make all image links to images without the user have to press enter after each url or a button the user can press to make all image links show as images.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Joel R said:

The problem with your argument, put forth by IPS and most others, is that the editor is a WYSIWYG.

Except it's not.

Again, if there's something you feel isn't displaying correctly in the editor, then that should be fixed. Introducing an additional preview feature is just ignoring the real problem.

8 hours ago, Vikestart said:

Again, if there's something you feel isn't displaying correctly in the editor, then that should be fixed. Introducing an additional preview feature is just ignoring the real problem.

Not having a preview feature in a WYSIWYG editor isn't really a problem. Feel free to jump into the ckeditor dev forums and ask for a plugin. 

• Management
22 hours ago, Vikestart said:

Yes that is the approach we will take.

On 10/31/2015, 10:19:18, Vikestart said:

By including an additional preview feature you'd be undermining the WYSIWYG functionality of the editor. If there's something you think is not showing correctly in the editor, you should not ask for some redudant preview feature, but instead want the actual problem / devitation to be corrected.

As for the psychological effect argued over earlier, that'd be a human error and not a problem with the software. Change is scary, yeah, but you'll get used to it eventually.

Yes. Human error. I wasn't aware the forum software was made for non-humans. I for one want a forum software made for human beings, not a forum software that is perfect and doesn't take into account human error.

II

vbulletin, eg, has wys*, sourcecode (here I can't see), and preview before to post (plus advanced mode with all bbcode and smilies: it's fantastic!!! many many problem and big security hole, but a fantastic editor!)

wp_ss_20151104_0002.thumb.png.94b0753631

here, in realty, I've just this...

wp_ss_20151104_0001.thumb.png.2ef8c04c5a

... Or this (by screen orientation)! I think is really, really poor... :/

wp_ss_20151104_0003.thumb.png.feb44c4033

Since there is no preview, for true WYSIWYG the editor background color, font style, color, all should match the site. But where do you change that in the software? My pages are not white, so I would need to change that. IPS should make the editor inherit that, or offer some easy styling.

I've seen black and dark sites opt for a white editor for easy typing, so this is one instance where preview would be beneficial. On my current 3.4 I have the stock white editor but site is pale colors and preview is handy.

However I'll change the editor, but where?

6 hours ago, chilihead said:

Since there is no preview, for true WYSIWYG the editor background color, font style, color, all should match the site. But where do you change that in the software? My pages are not white, so I would need to change that. IPS should make the editor inherit that, or offer some easy styling.

I've seen black and dark sites opt for a white editor for easy typing, so this is one instance where preview would be beneficial. On my current 3.4 I have the stock white editor but site is pale colors and preview is handy.

However I'll change the editor, but where?

In 4.1 you actually don't need to make a theme for the CKEditor anymore since it's loaded with a DIV instead of an iFRAME.

Thus, you can affect the styling of the editor through your theme's custom.css. :) I noticed this when I styled the quote boxes and spoiler boxes for the posts and saw that it applied to them in the editor as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎19‎:‎08‎, laltroweb.it said:

Can i have this? :p (editor from ipb clients area) :D

editor.PNG

Isnt that simply the IPB3.X editor lol.

(Also bless you for using a Windows phone lol. I always like seeing the rare breeds. #lumiamasterace)

That said, post preview really is of no major deal to me. I mean I support adding it for those who need it. Seems to be a con for many and it is a feature that is available in modern forum software. But I have never had any issue with text appearing the way I typed it on IPB4 or 4.1

17 minutes ago, Izaya Orihara said:

Isnt that simply the IPB3.X editor lol.

(Also bless you for using a Windows phone lol. I always like seeing the rare breeds. #lumiamasterace)

That said, post preview really is of no major deal to me. I mean I support adding it for those who need it. Seems to be a con for many and it is a feature that is available in modern forum software. But I have never had any issue with text appearing the way I typed it on IPB4 or 4.1

oh... really? ... (i'm sarcastic! i know this is an old ipb editor release - but, in my humble opinion, is best than current!) -.-'

... and, yes, a lumia with 100€ and you can make all you need (also office) isn't a good phone! is best a I*something from (600 €?) or a galaxy (galaxy €?).

thanks for your opinion! now i go immediately to buy an iphone ;)

9 minutes ago, laltroweb.it said:

oh... really? ... (i'm sarcastic! i know this is an old ipb editor release - but, in my humble opinion, is best than current!) -.-'

... and, yes, a lumia with 100€ and you can make all you need (also office) isn't a good phone! is best a I*something from (600 €?) or a galaxy (galaxy €?).

thanks for your opinion! now i go immediately to buy an iphone ;)

LOL oh I didn't catch the sarcasm :p I'd take the IPB3 editor personally but with IPb4 features lol.

(Which lumia are you using? I am using the 640 XL lol....we're so off-topic lmao)

I've just upgraded a forum to 4.1.4 from 3.4.8 and they're asking for preview to be added back.

I upgraded a different forum from 3.4.8 to 4.1 a few weeks back. They are no longer asking the preview button. They've gotten used to it now.

A button to preview exactly what is displayed on screen is pointless. I can see some need for niche forums, like those working with formulae, but the average user has no need for it. They just think they do.

• Management

We're going to roll out a feature that allows you to click a button and go "full screen" with the editor. We'll then revisit feedback to see what's changed. It seems like, apart from a couple of niche examples, it's mostly a confidence issue. Hopefully if you can see your content outside of the little edit box, it will help alleviate that concern. Generally speaking, what you see in the editor should be what gets posted as that's what inserted into the database. If you're seeing otherwise, it could be a bug.

Expect that soon then we'll go from there. 

1 hour ago, Lindy said:

We're going to roll out a feature that allows you to click a button and go "full screen" with the editor. We'll then revisit feedback to see what's changed. It seems like, apart from a couple of niche examples, it's mostly a confidence issue. Hopefully if you can see your content outside of the little edit box, it will help alleviate that concern. Generally speaking, what you see in the editor should be what gets posted as that's what inserted into the database. If you're seeing otherwise, it could be a bug.

Will this feature incorporate, or simply be, the ckeditor plugin 'maximize'?

19 hours ago, Gimpymoo said:

If you have wrote a large post with image and other embeds etc, you have no way of knowing how it looks "posted" unless you post it, if that makes sense?

For me, this is where a preview is required.

2 hours ago, Lindy said:

Seems a sensible approach :)

Archived