Let's vote for Post Preview feature

ehku

• Management
19 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Will this feature incorporate, or simply be, the ckeditor plugin 'maximize'?

I believe it's the maximize plugin, which seems to work well and should help with those making large submissions that want a full screen mode. We'll then look at feedback after that's rolled out for a bit and see where we are. It may be that solves the brunt of the concern and if there are still a few niche uses for a "preview" we'll recommend a CKE plugin. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with @Lindy that overall this is mainly a confidence issue. Once people get a few weeks of posting under their belt the need/want will probably drop away.

However - marketplace to the rescue:

The nice part of this is that it is just a pop-up modal so no new page reload. This should solve most people's needs. Be sure to rep the mod author if it helps!

21 minutes ago, eGullet said:

We installed that Marketplace plugin and it works perfectly: users can immediately see when their emoticons/videos/images etc. are not being parsed correctly and fix them :)

But those issues can already be seen without the preview, and going with the maximize plugin will achieve the same thing.

One issue with that plugin  (as far as I can see) is that doesn't parse bbcode that people have entered (which the editor doesn't do either until after the post has been submitted)....which won't alleviate the concerns that some have. If people are used to using bbcodes, and want to continue to do that, and want to see it being done as they type, or in a preview, then it's not going to help.

58 minutes ago, Flitterkill said:

I agree with @Lindy that overall this is mainly a confidence issue. Once people get a few weeks of posting under their belt the need/want will probably drop away.

However - marketplace to the rescue:

The nice part of this is that it is just a pop-up modal so no new page reload. This should solve most people's needs. Be sure to rep the mod author if it helps!

This plugin helps me a lot! Bravo @eden buganim!

previewmath.thumb.png.49a5e8157a26db2ccc

2 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

But those issues can already be seen without the preview, and going with the maximize plugin will achieve the same thing.

One issue with that plugin  (as far as I can see) is that doesn't parse bbcode that people have entered (which the editor doesn't do either until after the post has been submitted)....which won't alleviate the concerns that some have. If people are used to using bbcodes, and want to continue to do that, and want to see it being done as they type, or in a preview, then it's not going to help.

I don't see a reason why bbcode support shouldn't be implemented in the next update:

bbcode_test.thumb.png.dcc286f2254bd10aa8

Also, that's what the support thread is for :)

On 11/26/2015, 9:57:34, Nathan Explosion said:

Honestly, the best thing about the plugin is that is puts the words "preview post" on the screen and does something when it's clicked. As a board administrator, this will save me a ton of grief. Dealing with dozens of complaints about "missing features" takes time I'd rather spend doing something else. It doesn't matter to me that it is theoretically unnecessary. We've spent over a decade training our members to click "preview" before posting, and thanks to @eden buganim's excellent plugin, I don't have to untrain them :). 

• 5 months later...

Archived