Auto Welcome Support

Hello @Mike John ! 

Am using it on 4.3 and its just fine - with one exception, I cant remember how this setting was enabled :

Before updating, i had the settings so that the outbox messages that are sent from the admin account,

are not saved/shown inside the pm box. 

I have many registrations and prefer that message to not be saved otherwise i have to be deleting pms all the time.

Can you remind me how i deactivate the saving of those sent pms? 

thank you very much in advance! 

Edited by MeMaBlue
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 9:54 PM, MeMaBlue said:

Before updating, i had the settings so that the outbox messages that are sent from the admin account,

are not saved/shown inside the pm box. 

I had quite a few issues with that approach so recently changed it to add a sender to all personal messages sent out. I may have a work around in the future but unfortunately the only way to avoid filling up your inbox would be to send from another account.

3 hours ago, Joel R said:

Thanks for the update and continued maintenance to v2.5.4.  

I would be interested in hearing any best practices in what you think the optimal time of engagement should be.  

Ignore me.  

I hadn't tested the settings and thought you could stagger the messages by X minutes.  Instead, it's by X hours.  I personally set it to 2 hours after the fact, long enough for them to go elsewhere, not long enough for them to forget.  It's time to honeytrap my new users!  

On 8/7/2018 at 5:10 AM, Mike John said:

I had quite a few issues with that approach so recently changed it to add a sender to all personal messages sent out. I may have a work around in the future but unfortunately the only way to avoid filling up your inbox would be to send from another account.

Hello, 

but then i d have to also delete the messages that will fill the inbox of that account, (so maintenance for a second account = extra work)  and also, more importantly i wont be able to track the answers that many members give to that welcome pm -  i have enabled the possibility for the members to answer to that message, and many do, so that is very helpful and easy way for them to know how to connect !!!! . 

...would a donation help you do the workaround faster ?  thanks in advance! 

Edited by MeMaBlue

Hi Mike John - thanks for this add-on, it's a really useful way to engage new members.

I saw a problem with a user who signed up last week where he received 4 simultaneous welcome emails and private messages when he registered. Although I haven't been able to reproduce it, IP Board team said this may be related to your plugin. Is this anything you've come across before?

Thanks,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having trouble with the Auto Welcome creating a topic.

I have a forum with the settings that users can create topics and see their own topics, but they cannot see topics created by others (each topic is private instruction). The topic that I am asking the application to create is by the user, so there shouldn't be any problem there, but it's not creating the topic at all.

Screenshots of the settings:

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-31%20at%2011.28.

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-31%20at%2011.29.

Screen%20Shot%202018-08-31%20at%2011.29.

Any ideas where to look to resolve this issue, @Mike John?

On 8/17/2018 at 6:38 AM, MeMaBlue said:

but then i d have to also delete the messages that will fill the inbox of that account, (so maintenance for a second account = extra work)  and also, more importantly i wont be able to track the answers that many members give to that welcome pm -  i have enabled the possibility for the members to answer to that message, and many do, so that is very helpful and easy way for them to know how to connect !!!! . 

The quickest solution i could offer is to reverse the recent change but I can't guarantee that the PM notification bug won't return.

On 8/22/2018 at 9:53 PM, Andy_M said:

I saw a problem with a user who signed up last week where he received 4 simultaneous welcome emails and private messages when he registered. Although I haven't been able to reproduce it, IP Board team said this may be related to your plugin. Is this anything you've come across before?

Are you using the new time delay setting at all?

On 8/31/2018 at 5:17 AM, Ramsesx said:

A suggestion, it would be very cool if there would be a way to create welcome messages dependent on the usergroup the member is in.

It's been noted before but might be a while. I do have a plugin that would allow you to set different messages for 2 user groups but something that handles more groups will require a bigger change to the auto welcome app.

On 9/1/2018 at 1:30 AM, iacas said:

Any ideas where to look to resolve this issue, @Mike John?

I would first recommend setting a topic author in the auto welcome settings. That way it can rule out any issues with the auto welcome topic code first and then I can troubleshoot different forum settings/permissions that might be the cause here.

On 9/5/2018 at 1:42 AM, Mike John said:
On 8/22/2018 at 12:53 PM, Andy_M said:

Are you using the new time delay setting at all?

No, this was on the previous version without that feature.

12 hours ago, Andy_M said:

No, this was on the previous version without that feature.

If it does occur again, I'd probably suggest using the new time delay and setting it to something like 1hr. The various hooks/extensions in IPB 4 have been tougher to setup then it was back for IPB 3. I am considering long term switching to the time delay task and dropping the hooks/extensions.

On 9/4/2018 at 8:42 PM, Mike John said:

I would first recommend setting a topic author in the auto welcome settings. That way it can rule out any issues with the auto welcome topic code first and then I can troubleshoot different forum settings/permissions that might be the cause here.

I've change the topic author to myself (an admin on the site), but note that the welcome PM isn't triggered, either.

The Auto Welcome application doesn't seem to "fire" or do anything at all, in fact. It's enabled. It's on. The settings are "right" so far as I can see.

Any ideas, @Mike John? I may be willing to give you some access to the ACP, though I'd hope there's some way to resolve this without that.

On 9/15/2018 at 1:24 AM, iacas said:

I did remove a username from the sending email address last night but need a member to sign up and pay the $59 to see if that changes anything.

The time delay works a bit differently to send the message and is worth a try to rule out any issues with the hook points that send the welcome messages.

15 hours ago, Mike John said:

The time delay works a bit differently to send the message and is worth a try to rule out any issues with the hook points that send the welcome messages.

Unfortunately when someone has paid $59 I can't wait an hour for them to get an email or have their topic created for them. It has to happen immediately.

If there was a way to set it to five minutes, I'd do it. But the setting is in hours.

7 hours ago, Mike John said:

Do you have ftp access to your ipb files? It might be possible to patch it to a few mins.

Yes. I have full access.

FWIW when changing one of the settings yesterday (I went in to copy the text to manually create a new topic), it triggered for two members and created new topics for them.

8 hours ago, iacas said:

FWIW when changing one of the settings yesterday (I went in to copy the text to manually create a new topic), it triggered for two members and created new topics for them.

Any noticeable difference between these and the failed instances? Admin or normal registration? Social media signup?

• 5 weeks later...