Disappointed In IPS 4

Mightyavenger

Sorry but IPS 4 Is not what I was expecting it to be. You can't even search images in gallery anymore like you used to. The older versions were way better than IPS 4. The search in this version also is horrible. I'm sorry but it seems like IPS didn't improve at but is a real let down. I think a lot of people would agree. I was going to recommend you but no way. Sorry for the image below its an old image I couldn't delete.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd recommend you to make a list of things you don't like and I am very sure they will be considered by the IPS Staff.

You have to note that IPS 4 is a complete re-write and it is the first time in the IPS history that this has been done (if I am not wrong).

So yeah, you cannot really expect everything to be perfect, that is why we have betas and a suggestion forum ;) 

I have never used the IPS Gallery.  I use 4images.  Your disappointment in search for images has me wondering what or how were you able to search images in a gallery before?  In 4images, we can search by keywords, by username, in all fields, in the description field ... but that's I know.

How did IPS Gallery approach search before? How do they do it now?

Thanks,

Brian

I have never used the IPS Gallery.  I use 4images.  Your disappointment in search for images has me wondering what or how were you able to search images in a gallery before?  In 4images, we can search by keywords, by username, in all fields, in the description field ... but that's I know.

How did IPS Gallery approach search before? How do they do it now?

Thanks,

Brian

​Are you bridging to IPB?

well with gallery you would search something in gallery and a bunch of thumb nail images would be displayed. IPS 4 only shows a list in a blog style format. I was hoping for IPS 4 to gallery to allow to add youtube videos embedding but that didn't happen at all but now that the search result is in a blog style format their is no using in even trying to add youtube videos embedding in the gallery. If it doesn't have a bunch of thumbnails when you do a search it just isn't a gallery.

​Are you bridging to IPB?

​Not sure what bridging means.  We use a member access software that allows sso to 4images and ips.  So our members just log in and don't know other than the fact that the ipboard landscape does not look a whole lot like the 4images gallery.  I have polished up the color scheme but the display is markedly different. 

well with gallery you would search something in gallery and a bunch of thumb nail images would be displayed. IPS 4 only shows a list in a blog style format. I was hoping for IPS 4 to gallery to allow to add youtube videos embedding but that didn't happen at all but now that the search result is in a blog style format their is no using in even trying to add youtube videos embedding in the gallery. If it doesn't have a bunch of thumbnails when you do a search it just isn't a gallery.

​whoah ... I never actually performed a search before in 4images ... since I am kind of like the master librarian ... I just did a search for the word 'nice' in the description field.  The results page is amazing ... every image with the word 'nice' in the description appears, in a grid format, and yes, in thumbnail, and patting on back, as you hover over the image, the tool tip makes the image jump to full size ... (one of my little add ons)

I think this topic should have been called “Disappointed in the Gallery image search”. Extrapolating that one aspect to a judgement about the whole suite is just not fair or reasonable. 

I agree to the specific point though. In many (but not all) cases, an image is not properly represented in a search with just a title text. 

> Says entire IPS4 is a disappointment
> Only Reason: Search in gallery doesn't work like expected.

Are you serious? You can't be serious. Theres got to be more reasons than this....

I was going to recommend you but no way

Oh please, now you're acting like typical tantrum throwing consumer and your signature image kinda backs it up.

Have you spent any time actually going through all the improvements of 4? It's like a freaking unicorn compared to previous versions.

Are you filtering by Images when you search? If you do, every result shows a thumbnail. It searches the title, description and album title. For example:

It doesn't show in a grid, but it shows a lot of useful information instead.

​Would it be possible to have a grid option for images if a user chooses to have it like that?

​Not sure what bridging means.  We use a member access software that allows sso to 4images and ips.  So our members just log in and don't know other than the fact that the ipboard landscape does not look a whole lot like the 4images gallery.  I have polished up the color scheme but the display is markedly different. 

​It means that two pieces of software are connected. Like Wordpress and IPB, etc.

I was hoping for IPS 4 to gallery to allow to add youtube videos embedding but that didn't happen at all but now that the search result is in a blog style format their is no using in even trying to add youtube videos embedding in the gallery.

​I started a thread, don't have a link to it in front of me, suggesting that IP add youtube, instagram, vine, etc ability to IP.Gallery.  When I made the thread it didn't seem like IP was too interested in adding other sources.  I've stated before that I'm not really interested in purchasing IP.Gallery for any communities I start in the future in its current state.  IP.Gallery is useless to me unless I was running an image heavy forum / website / cms, which I'm not.

BUT, and here is the big BUT, I can create all the galleries for all the above mentioned sources in Pages.  I've already created multiple sections for YT videos, Vine, Instagram, etc in Pages on my testing system.  Pages is by far my favorite IP app.

I would truly love if IP made IP.Gallery into a robust multi-source multi-media gallery.  Maybe that's on their list in for future improvements, after the launch of 4 - IDK.  For now, Pages is satisfying my needs and is working quite nicely.

• Management

I am very confused about the "downgraded" comments about search in 4.0 vs 3.4.

In 4.0 you can search throughout the entire suite at once. You could not do this at all in 3.4 as you had to toggle between each app. The underlying technology on 4.0's search is way better.

I saw some talking about lack of "Search in topic titles" but that does not exist as we automatically weight the title of a content item more than the body of a content item. We can certainly add an option to limit to content item titles but we want to see how real-world use is first. No other search system lets you limit but the title of an item so it seems like an odd option.

@Charles For me is a downgrade because i can find a topic way faster in 3.4 than in 4.0. I've tested it in my live board and in my test board using the beta.

Sometimes i remember a topic that has 2 or 3 years but i don't remember where it is. So, because i remember the Title, i just do a search in titles and i will find it faster on the first or second page. On ips4 it will search in every place, so that topic will be in 5 or 6 page...

Even here on this board, i've searched now for "Memcache", and it only show 21 results and the older one is from 2013. Im sure there are result older than 2013. 

But even worse than that, the search result did not catch this topic where the last update is from July 2013: http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/308987-no-memcache/

So it catches topics from March 2013, but ignored one from July? A Search System cannot ignore topics, it needs to show everything. A user will think that topic does not exist, when it exist. 

I am very confused about the "downgraded" comments about search in 4.0 vs 3.4.

In 4.0 you can search throughout the entire suite at once. You could not do this at all in 3.4 as you had to toggle between each app. The underlying technology on 4.0's search is way better.

I saw some talking about lack of "Search in topic titles" but that does not exist as we automatically weight the title of a content item more than the body of a content item. We can certainly add an option to limit to content item titles but we want to see how real-world use is first. No other search system lets you limit but the title of an item so it seems like an odd option.

​The big difference with 3.4 is whatever section you are in, it changes the default search to that application. Now you need to select the application you are searching or it searches the whole suite by default.

I also think the default should return by date rather than relevance.

• Management

@Charles For me is a downgrade because i can find a topic way faster in 3.4 than in 4.0. I've tested it in my board and in my board using the beta.

Sometimes i remember a topic that has 2 or 3 years but i don't remember where it is. So, because i remember the Title, i just do a search in titles and i will find it faster on the first or second page. On ips4 it will search in every place, so that topic will be in 5 or 6 page...

Even here on this board, i've searched now for "Memcache", and it only show 21 results and the older one is from 2013. Im sure there are result older than 2013. 

But even worse than that, the search result did not catch this topic where the last update is from July 2013: http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/308987-no-memcache/

So it catches topics from March 2013, but ignored one from July? A Search System cannot ignore topics, it needs to show everything. A user will think that topic does not exist, when it exist. 

​We just truncated our search index here actually so you won't get good results on this site for a couple hours.

​The big difference with 3.4 is whatever section you are in, it changes the default search to that application. Now you need to select the application you are searching or it searches the whole suite by default.

I also think the default should return by date rather than relevance.

​These are preferences.

Archived