Disappointed In IPS 4

Mightyavenger

I saw some talking about lack of "Search in topic titles" but that does not exist as we automatically weight the title of a content item more than the body of a content item. We can certainly add an option to limit to content item titles but we want to see how real-world use is first. No other search system lets you limit but the title of an item so it seems like an odd option.

​The previous version of IB.Board does, and I use it ALL the time.  With over three million posts on a forum, searching in the title allows me to pull up the relevant topic very quickly.  Searching in posts is very tedious by comparison.  Obviously this depends on what you're searching for, but if you have a good idea of the title of the topic (or topics) you're looking for, it's a godsend.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​The previous version of IB.Board does, and I use it ALL the time.  With over three million posts on a forum, searching in the title allows me to pull up the relevant topic very quickly.  Searching in posts is very tedious by comparison.  Obviously this depends on what you're searching for, but if you have a good idea of what the title of the topic (or topics) you're looking for, it's a godsend.

​This.

If you know you can find what you're looking for by searching in titles, it cleans out a lot of clutter in the search results.

Well, having read through this entire thread, it's pretty disappointing to see people complaining about the search system.  Allowing users to find relevant search results is one of the most critical features of forum software.  If I can't find what I'm looking for, I'm either going to go to another site to find what I need, or start a new topic about the subject, one that possibly duplicates already existing topics.  But this requires people to create an account if you don't already have one, so I'm sure many times people will just move on.  

This is a very important feature to me, and I've gone on long rants about problems with the search system in previous versions of the software.  Some issues were addressed, others not.  I also have to use Google to search this site, both with 3.4.x and, now, 4.0.  I should not have to do that, and 95% of the users on my site aren't going to know they can use Google to search my forums to get relevant results.

Yes, the combined search results are nice.  But the vast majority of the content on my forum is regular forum topics, and that's where I need the search to be strongest.  I know writing a good search engine is not easy (I've had to do it myself for other projects).  But it's so important that it work well, that it pains me to see poor results in 4.0.  This is a potential deal breaker for me to upgrade to 4.0, although there are other lesser issues I'm not terribly happy with as well.  Sigh.

Yes, the combined search results are nice. 

​I'm sorry, this is a perfect mess and I really doubt that someone will use it more than twice when starts to click on downloads files, blog entries or gallery images, when they want to see TOPICS or whatever; not everything! The most OBVIOUS thing to do would be something like identify the content: http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/407195-quick-suggestion-to-new-content-all-new-content-identify-content/ OR still leave selected the default app! If forum, TOPICS, if Downloads, FILES, etc.

​I'm sorry, this is a perfect mess and I really doubt that someone will use it more than twice when starts to click on downloads files, blog entries or gallery images, when they want to see TOPICS or whatever; not everything! The most OBVIOUS thing to do would be something like identify the content: http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/407195-quick-suggestion-to-new-content-all-new-content-identify-content/ OR still leave selected the default app! If forum, TOPICS, if Downloads, FILES, etc.

​I like your suggestion, that is very nice, and I do agree with you that the different types of results should be more clearly delineated. 

• Management

We have said more than once that search relevancy is an area we know needs improvement. We mostly agree with what you are saying. It has taken real-world use with live data to expose some of the issues with the search results and we will of course work to improve that area.

We have said more than once that search relevancy is an area we know needs improvement. We mostly agree with what you are saying. It has taken real-world use with live data to expose some of the issues with the search results and we will of course work to improve that area.

​Beyond just that, this option is one we're missing in 4.0

Search_in_Titles.thumb.png.05c8ab7b43f7f

I think that is part of relevancy, yes.

​It lets the user refine their search more specifically.  If I know I can find what I want searching just the titles, I can skip a lot of other stuff that won't be what I'm looking for.

... it should also make search a bit faster in that case since it has less to look through.

• Management

Yes I agree.

Also we are going to come with with some sensible date-limited defaults. While a topic from 2005 might be very relevant in what you are searching for it may not be, from a human standpoint, what you expect. So some defaults on dates with a clear indicator to the user what those limits are and how to override them I think would help a lot. Right now it goes "oh look at this great item from 2005! let's put that first!" which makes sense to a computer but not to a human.

​Charles, we are currently in RC3 so i bet you are talking to improvements in 4.1 right? if thats the case, it will take a whole year for us to have Search only in Titles, Relevance to work etc etc...
Its too much time for a core feature that is vital to the System.

• Management

​Charles, we are currently in RC3 so i bet you are talking to improvements in 4.1 right? if thats the case, it will take a whole year for us to have Search only in Titles, Relevance to work etc etc...Its too much time for a core feature that is vital to the System.

​I did not specifically say 4.1 nor did we ever say 4.1 is a year out.

We know search is a bit frustrating. We use it too ;)

Well, between 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 etc, i think it was always almost a year. Which is a normal time frame between major versions.

I also know that Release Candidate means only fixing bugs and not changing or adding new feature, So everything tell's me, that the improvements will only come to 4.1. 

But i would love to see them sooner, of course ;) Im a bit confused right now. I want to move to 4.0, but i kknow already some of my members disliked the Search. So it will be a risk that i will have to take.

Charles, don't forget also the other issue. Im Admin and i feel i have no power with this ACP.

• Management

Well, between 3.0, 3.1, 3.2 etc, i think it was always almost a year. Which is a normal time frame between major versions.

I also know that Release Candidate means only fixing bugs and not changing or adding new feature, So everything tell's me, that the improvements will only come to 4.1. 

But i would love to see them sooner, of course ;) Im a bit confused right now. I want to move to 4.0, but i kknow already some of my members disliked the Search. So it will be a risk that i will have to take.

​I know this will sound like it makes no sense but here I go anyway:

One reason 4.0.0 took longer than we thought was because we made it so future version will not take as long. The 4.0 framework will allow for much more agile development. So all these things we keep saying we will add are not years away.

​I know this will sound like it makes no sense but here I go anyway:

One reason 4.0.0 took longer than we thought was because we made it so future version will not take as long. The 4.0 framework will allow for much more agile development. So all these things we keep saying we will add are not years away.

​Yes, and i believe and hope for that.

We (as your costumers) are not here to take Invision down. If we say this things, its because we want a better Suit, and we want to help you achieve that, while maintain our members in our sites happy.

• Management

​Yes, and i believe and hope for that.

We as your costumers, are not here to take Invision down. If we say this things, is because we want a better Suit, and we want to help you achieve that, while maintain our members in our sites happy.

​We really do appreciate it too. The majority of people point out things and we go "hmm" ... sure some post page-long rants and at the end I am all :unsure: as to what they are actually trying to get across. Maybe I just have a short attention span ;)

What we do is difficult but we have been doing it for 13 years now and with every major release cycle there are the sky is falling types. But in the end we usually win them over.

• Management

I am not disappointed... more worried I would say.  Pages worries me a lot, but I also recognize that it isn't done yet. 

​Pages in 4.0 is a very different thing to Content in 3.4. It's a big product that can do a lot of things. I personally find Pages way easier to work with than Content but I realize what you are saying. There are few power-user features that we still need to add. It's at the top of the list.

​Pages in 4.0 is a very different thing to Content in 3.4. It's a big product that can do a lot of things. I personally find Pages way easier to work with than Content but I realize what you are saying. There are few power-user features that we still need to add. It's at the top of the list.

​Well, at the moment I'm mostly worried about the upgrade of articles from 3.4.7 (check your invisionpower email for details).  The rest of it I'm sure I can work around. 

• Management

​Well, at the moment I'm mostly worried about the upgrade of articles from 3.4.7 (check your invisionpower email for details).  The rest of it I'm sure I can work around. 

​Yes I saw your report on that. I'm sure we will need your help working through those. Upgrading Content to Pages is a bit touchy as you can see.

​Not to derail the thread, but could you point me to an article/thread/post that outlines the difference between pages and content? Or explain the difference in a nutshell? Thanks!

​We really do appreciate it too. The majority of people point out things and we go "hmm" ... sure some post page-long rants and at the end I am all :unsure: as to what they are actually trying to get across. Maybe I just have a short attention span ;)

What we do is difficult but we have been doing it for 13 years now and with every major release cycle there are the sky is falling types. But in the end we usually win them over.

​I know i got mad today(its not normal in me). But today i got the first reviews of my members after the Search Index on my test site got rebuild, and they started to say only bad things and i got frustrated.
Then they were testing the new Question & Answer topics, they liked but then it was all a mess and they said i needed to change the sort default to date instead of Rate. There is no option in ACP to change that.

All of this got me frustrated, because believe me, i want to update my live site to 4.0 at the time of release... So i went here telling what i think it is wrong. But all of this because i care about the Suite and i want it live on my site.

• Management

​Not to derail the thread, but could you point me to an article/thread/post that outlines the difference between pages and content? Or explain the difference in a nutshell? Thanks!

​No and I'm very sorry about that!

Pages and Commerce never got dedicated blog entries about what's new like the other areas of the Suite did. We're working on our new web site now though which will showcase them in great detail.

We just got so bogged down in the final stages of 4.0 dev we did not have time to show off Pages and Commerce. It's a shame because they are both really nice apps.

It makes me sad. Look --> :cry: (me sad)

Archived