Disappointed In IPS 4

Mightyavenger

​No and I'm very sorry about that!

Pages and Commerce never got dedicated blog entries about what's new like the other areas of the Suite did. We're working on our new web site now though which will showcase them in great detail.

We just got so bogged down in the final stages of 4.0 dev we did not have time to show off Pages and Commerce. It's a shame because they are both really nice apps.

​No problem, understandable.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what Pages is exactly. I haven't renewed my license yet so I haven't had a chance to download the betas and play around with Pages. But I'm concerned by the feedback about Pages that I've read here and elsewhere... Is there something specific (and major) that could be done with Content before, that cannot be achieved with Pages now?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Management

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what Pages is exactly. I haven't renewed my license yet so I haven't had a chance to download the betas and play around with Pages. But I'm concerned by the feedback about Pages that I've read here and elsewhere... Is there something specific (and major) that could be done with Content before, that cannot be achieved with Pages now?

​I guess it depends on what you are trying to do. Personally I couldn't do much with Content but I can do a lot with Pages. Of course I'm not really very good at much so take that as you may.

​My impression from playing with Pages is that in the end it will be more powerful than Content, however it isn't as far along in its development as the other modules and calling it a release candidate at this point (for us legacy users) is probably a bit optimistic. If you're starting from scratch, it will probably be a RC. 

I think Pages will appeal to more people who were possibly slightly worried "where to start" with IP.Content... Having said that (in a positive way) IP.C did greatly improve with each new release (I started with it at a QA stage) and I think Pages is a further step towards user friendliness.

I think Pages will appeal to more people who were possibly slightly worried "where to start" with IP.Content... Having said that (in a positive way) IP.C did greatly improve with each new release (I started with it at a QA stage) and I think Pages is a further step towards user friendliness.

​I appreciate your optimism. My real problem with IP.Content was that it was all theoretical and nothing worked well in the real world. People like @CheersnGears make some of the best uses out of it (and I have a site that makes it look really good visually.) But it is nowhere near competitive with even old Wordpress on just basics like simple layout and SEO. User contributed content was difficult at best. What concerns me about Pages is that it's another solution which I'd much rather have a Wordpress Bridge than ever want to use the fully integrated IPS module. And that's really been the problem with all IPS 3 modules -- barely an intermediate solution for everything it attempts. I think every admin would prefer a great forum and one great module rather than a decent forum and a half dozen very mediocre but "usable" modules.

So wait, we can't search in topic titles, but @Charles says that it should automatically weight the topic title as relevant?

That sounds like something for the bug tracker. 

​Correct, topic titles should be receiving the highest priority in search results, you should not need a specific "search in topic titles" option. I see this is not working as well as it did when search was originally written for 4.0 but many aspects of search have been refactored extensively since the start so this has probably simply been overlooked. As Charles has mentioned we will be putting some further time into search relevancy and I have added a bug report so this specific point can be addressed.

• Management

@Charles in the advanced search for topic we can choose "Minimum Number Of Replys" and "Minimum Number Of Views". Does actually anyone use that options? In my opinion, Search In Tittle and Show Results as Topic List are much more important than those.

You think search in title is important? I had no idea :lol:

@Charles in the advanced search for topic we can choose "Minimum Number Of Replys" and "Minimum Number Of Views". Does actually anyone use that options? In my opinion, Search In Tittle and Show Results as Topic List are much more important than those.

​I actually used "more than x replies yesterday", but that was as a result of the fact I couldn't use search in title or view the result list as a simple "forum/topic list view". 

I remembered words in the title, but not the complete title, but didn't get a good result set and got a lot of results from the exact same topic in the listing. I only needed the title to remember the topic, so this is frustrating, when a topic is repeated in the result set. 

Eventually I remembered the topic I was looking for had quite a lot of replies, so I was able to limit the result down enough for me to find the result somewhere on page 1 or 2. 

​I know this will sound like it makes no sense but here I go anyway:

One reason 4.0.0 took longer than we thought was because we made it so future version will not take as long. The 4.0 framework will allow for much more agile development. So all these things we keep saying we will add are not years away.

​Sorry Charles but you're totally wrong on this.

It does actually makes sense :D

​I did not specifically say 4.1 nor did we ever say 4.1 is a year out.

We know search is a bit frustrating. We use it too ;)

​Here is an example of how bad search is.

I was searching for all topics with the title prefix [Missing]... I tried it inside of quotes and without and the results appear the same.

Search_Example_1.thumb.png.3fd0d0f6bc545

The first time one of the topics with the [Missing] prefix appears in search results?

Page 7... and that's only if I filter it to Content Type of Topics.

Search_Example_2.thumb.png.d9ee667b5ba9a

On a positive note... I just renewed my license yesterday and finally had a chance to play around with 4.0...

I have to say, aside from the issues that are being discussed, overall this is one impressive piece of software. Totally loving it, and now I have big plans for IPS4!

It would be better if provided an ETA for each item, eg 4.0.0. 4.0.1. 4.1.0... I imagine the latest itens will be available on IPS 4.1.0. Coming soon on 4.0.X, not on final exacly.

​Features aren't being planned (at least publicly) like that. When we're preparing a release though, we'll continue to go into more detail about what is in it.

Great!. Thanks for putting confirmed items in one place, which is what I was requesting. While there isn't a specific ETA, this makes it so much easier to gauge and also ensure that if there is a plugin to hold you over, it can be better planned to be compatible with and phased out when included in the core.

Archived