IP.Chat help!

Smokey-Rev

[quote name='Fórum Jurídico' date='03 December 2009 - 10:11 AM' timestamp='1259795483' post='1884418']
You can solve that by putting this in htaccess:

i have tried that but it still loves to say [#CSTART-0] There was an error connecting with the chat room. Please notify an administrator.

php_value allow_url_fopen on

php_value allow_url_include 1

You must only set "allow_url_fopen" in your php.ini to "On" (or you host should do it for you, when you cant change it yourself). :)

Edit:
[quote name='roc13x' date='03 December 2009 - 01:09 AM' timestamp='1259798989' post='1884435']
How do you kick and ban people if you have moderator status in the chat? I cant see any extra buttons

Just click on the username in the onlinelist :)

This is a beta guys, remember to keep that in mind.

CSTART-0: We have determined that this error means that you cannot make an outbound connection to our server. Usually enabling "allow_url_fopen" in php.ini (or use the .htaccess method suggested here) will resolve this issue. You may need to contact your host for assistance with this.

CJOIN-0: I've done a little debugging and believe I've found the cause of this issue. I am working on an update that should hopefully address this issue, but we will require a little more testing first.

You have been kicked from the chat room: I have found the cause of this issue and applied a patch to the chat server. You should no longer be getting this error message immediately upon launching the chat room.

[quote name='Colonel Wolfie' date='03 December 2009 - 10:23 AM' timestamp='1259792605' post='1884406']
Brandon, I have installed and uninstalled this program more than a few times and this isn't the first IPS Application that I have had trouble with. I have encountered this same error wit IP.Shoutbox which is why I don't use it. I'm starting to have doubts about these add-ons. The only problems I haven't had installing have been the IPB upgrades (which IPS handles the upgrades) and the installation of IP.Content. Everything else seems to fly out the window.

This isn't meant to be negative but there's obviously a problem, as far as when I try to install it on my site.

Well, actually, that means that this is the first IPS application you've had trouble with. IP.Shoutbox is a community project. This means IPS' only involvement is lending special support to the developers, project hosting, and their name. It's not something that Brandon or Matt spend 8 hours a day working on.

• Management

Also please, please, please keep in mind that you guys are the first to *ever* install this chat app. Also keep in mind this is the first time we've opened up our chat server publicly. We truly appreciate the testing but try not to get too wound up if it doesn't work for you.

You guys are on the bleeding edge here, more so than usual. With our usual applications we know that the IP.Board framework is well tested so the worst that can happen is a SQL error here and there.

[quote name='Mat (FDNZ)' date='03 December 2009 - 05:37 AM' timestamp='1259818648' post='1884471']
Well, actually, that means that this is the first IPS application you've had trouble with. IP.Shoutbox is a community project. This means IPS' only involvement is lending special support to the developers, project hosting, and their name. It's not something that Brandon or Matt spend 8 hours a day working on.

Actually, you're incorrect. IP.Shoutbox is an official IPS release and it's released by IPS Resources. Check out the information at IPS Resources. I'm just not bothering with either of these releases because of the problems I'm having with their installs. It's really bothersome that I've had these problems with installing these addons.

[quote name='Colonel Wolfie' date='03 December 2009 - 04:10 AM' timestamp='1259835059' post='1884497']
IP.Shoutbox is an official IPS release and it's released by IPS Resources.

IP.Chat and IP.Shoutbox are 2 different things :o

IP.Shoutbox is made by a few community guys for free, and it is released at IPS Resources but that doesn't mean its an official release. IP. Chat is an official BETA release. Hope that clears it up.

[quote name='Colonel Wolfie' date='03 December 2009 - 10:10 AM' timestamp='1259835059' post='1884497']
Actually, you're incorrect. IP.Shoutbox is an official IPS release and it's released by IPS Resources. Check out the information at IPS Resources. I'm just not bothering with either of these releases because of the problems I'm having with their installs. It's really bothersome that I've had these problems with installing these addons.

Ah ? No. IP.Shoutbox is not an official release as IPS never worked on it. Hmm, and personally I haven't had any problems installing any addons, including IP.Shoutbox. Everything so far worked right out of box.

[quote name='Colonel Wolfie' date='03 December 2009 - 10:10 AM' timestamp='1259835059' post='1884497']

No it's not.
IP.Shoutbox is developed by members of the community who very admirably give up their time to provide it for other members of the community.
IP.Chat is developed and will be supported by IPS much like Blog or Gallery.

Incidentally, if you don't want to use IP.Chat, don't - it's an addon that will at it's most basic level be provided for free - you never paid for it, we never mentioned it before, and if you don't use it, it doesn't really affect anyone here.
Although, it is frustrating how you've based your opinion that IP.Chat has "installation problems" that deem it unusable on a beta - it's this sort of thing that makes me wonder if it's worth releasing public betas at all if people clearly don't understand the concept.

I for one am very glad you have release a beta version .... by following the instructions posted by yourselfs I've not had any problems installing it and the errors that followed are either already in the tracker or have been bought up in this topic and looked at by the staff.

I assume that was the whole point in the beta release ? for bugs to be found and worked out that hadn't/wouldn't normally be found on in-house testing ?

It might be better to have a beta group for testing - Beta should not be expected by anyone to be without issues - people run different versions of *nix & windows and users use different browsers and for those reasons the ability to run beta is good.

I only had to temporarily un-install as I urgently needed to update a profile, and didn't have time to check the tracker for updates/fixes, as it was late at night.

• Management

[quote name='NiftyWolfe' date='03 December 2009 - 09:17 AM' timestamp='1259849863' post='1884554']
I for one am very glad you have release a beta version .... by following the instructions posted by yourselfs I've not had any problems installing it and the errors that followed are either already in the tracker or have been bought up in this topic and looked at by the staff.

I assume that was the whole point in the beta release ? for bugs to be found and worked out that hadn't/wouldn't normally be found on in-house testing ?

Yes that's the whole point :)

So far all the bugs encountered were related to it being used on a wide audience. Some were problems with our software, others were issue with host-specific configurations different than the configurations we use here at IPS. Those are the kind of things we could never have found before releasing it to a wider audience. Most issues reported have already been fixed actually.

Don't forget that you will get a handful of people flipping out in topics like these while we have literally hundreds of chat rooms running already without any issue.

• Management

[quote name='.Ian' date='03 December 2009 - 09:21 AM' timestamp='1259850061' post='1884557']
It might be better to have a beta group for testing - Beta should not be expected by anyone to be without issues - people run different versions of *nix & windows and users use different browsers and for those reasons the ability to run beta is good.

I only had to temporarily un-install as I urgently needed to update a profile, and didn't have time to check the tracker for updates/fixes

We have an internal testing group. That's where IP.Board 3.0.5 and Blog/Gallery/Downloads/Content are right now :)

Chat is a special case as we needed a huge audience. Again, hundreds of people are using it as I type without issue so we are looking at a few people with issues that are already being sorted.

Archived