IP.Chat help!

Smokey-Rev

Ha Ha! It was a joke.

But, seriously. What's the deal with installing it? There are no help or instruction files and IP.Chat does not appear in my ACP so that I can install it or change the settings.

Charles, just what else are you supposed to do after uploading the files, which I have already done?!

[quote name='Colonel Wolfie' date='02 December 2009 - 07:14 PM' timestamp='1259781268' post='1884347']
Ha Ha! It was a joke.

But, seriously. What's the deal with installing it? There are no help or instruction files and IP.Chat does not appear in my ACP so that I can install it or change the settings.

Charles, just what else are you supposed to do after uploading the files, which I have already done?!

http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/299705-ipchat-beta-testing/

Note the "Installation" header.

No help or instruction indeed... :rolleyes:

[quote name='bfarber' date='02 December 2009 - 05:26 PM' timestamp='1259771199' post='1884276']@theGaVrA - I suspect your server is not allowing outbound remote connections, in which case you would be unable to use chat (or the spam monitoring service, for example). The "-0" in the error code means the chat script couldn't connect to our server.
Mh, but other users use the spam service and it workes fine but the Chatservice dont work (also dont work on my server).

Can u tell us how we must configure our server to use the chatservice?

maybe that's the problem. I only use IE and Firefox in an emergency. Mostly, I use Opera. It's just messed up that it doesn't work in Opera since it's been around quite some time. But, that still doesn't explain the setup problem. There are no settings to entrer in the Application key #.

You said: "and IP.Chat does not appear in my ACP so that I can install it or change the settings".

Did you perhaps rename your Admin directory and, if so, do you now see a *new* ./admin directory?

If that's the case, move the files in new ./admin directory to your *renamed* Admin directory, then check and see if it's listed as an installable application.

Figured it out. It went through fine but it refuses to connect to chat. I get the following error:

Call to a member function chatRules() on a non-object in /home/******/public_html/board/admin/applications_addon/ips/chat/modules_public/ipschat/chat.php on line 423

Fatal error: Call to a member function chatRoom() on a non-object in /home/****/public_html/board/admin/applications_addon/ips/chat/modules_public/ipschat/chat.php on line 289

Colonel Wolfie that error means you have not yet installed chat.

You need to go to Manage Applications and actually install the chat application. Uninstall the previous one, if you had it installed, and then click to Install the new one afterwards.

As for the other error, if you are successfully using the spam service, it obviously means you can make outbound connections, so that possible problem is ruled out. As Charles said, we'll be investigating the various issues some of you have had to iron out the kinks. It's a beta, remember.

[quote name='Adriano Faria' date='02 December 2009 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1259789340' post='1884384']
Brandon, what about this about ban stuff ?

That's not ban, that's kick. And I've just fixed the bug.

[quote name='.Ian' date='02 December 2009 - 04:34 PM' timestamp='1259789663' post='1884387']
uninstalled, as can't update any member records :(

I posted the query to fix the problem in the tracker already.

Brandon, I have installed and uninstalled this program more than a few times and this isn't the first IPS Application that I have had trouble with. I have encountered this same error wit IP.Shoutbox which is why I don't use it. I'm starting to have doubts about these add-ons. The only problems I haven't had installing have been the IPB upgrades (which IPS handles the upgrades) and the installation of IP.Content. Everything else seems to fly out the window.

This isn't meant to be negative but there's obviously a problem, as far as when I try to install it on my site.

I have no idea. The only thing that I do know is that these error messages are real and that it's affecting me when I try to install it. The problem with IP.Shoutbox began way back when my forums were upgraded to 3.0.2. Since then, I haven't been able to successfully install IP.Shoutbox. Now, it appears the same problem is happening with IP.Chat. I don't know how to explain. Unless IPS can install these add-ons, which I doubt the license for IPB covers, anyway.

And, as far as looking at the code? I know very little about the code for IPB to go around messing with it.

Archived