Invision Community 5: Tagging Reinvented

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, MythonPonty said:

What about the possibility to convert / replace different Tags to aliases... 

Impossible to reduce or replace or convert tags who are using for one and only guy or girl in specific (for example). And when you have thousand of name, you can not apply your suggestions. 

Edited by SoloInter

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, SoloInter said:

Unless there is an option to move all existing tags to the closed system before updating to V5. If we change to closed system, all existing tag will be saved ?

From what Matt has been saying, it sounds like that is correct. The preparation for V5 would be to make sure any tags you want to keep are listed as 'Defined Tags' in your AdminCP (you can find this under AdminCP > System > Settings > Posting and then the 'Tags' tab. Anything specified there will apparently be converted to the new tag system when you upgrade your community.

1 hour ago, MythonPonty said:

What about the possibility to convert / replace different Tags to aliases...

Members could currently use for "love" similar words. 

e.g.

Feeling
Warmth of heart
Devotion
Intimacy
Affection
Passion 

I could well imagine that the different words for love could be combined into one main tag --> love. 
This would allow me to reduce many of the existing tags. 

I would expect that it would be down to us community admins to train our users on how to use the new tagging system in V5...

I think once people understand that they can search for a tag, they will most likely:

1. search for words like "passion" and "intimacy"

2. find there are no matches, then

3. continue searching with alternative words until they find "love"

4. and voila, they use that "love" tag.

If there is tag searching within the module dialog (which Matt confirmed there will be), I don't know if having aliases to tags would be absolutely necessary.

Edited by Dreadknux

3 questions on my mind:

- Will this be integrated with the achievement system? Currently there you can award badges and points based on location of the item, since the new tags aim to replace the current taxonomy, will it be possible to give points and badges based on which tag is used in the content item?

- Compared to the above, are the tags available to all or is it possible that certain tags are only restricted to staff? Maybe it was mentioned, but I didn't see it specifically.

- I also want to echo the option to mass tag content. I would gladly get rid of some subforums and tag all topics inside instead. I guess it could be a good project for a 3rd party dev, but even better if something like this can be supported natively.

On 6/7/2024 at 11:34 AM, Esther E. said:

As of now, the upgrader will give you a choice to either delete all global tags OR to convert the top 25 tags (by usage) to the new system.

That is good.

I have a list of about 20 strict tags (never a good idea to let users decide their own – taxonomic nightmare) in use across a site of 20 years. I wouldn't want all that tagged content lost so conversion is what I would want.

On 6/7/2024 at 4:15 AM, Matt said:

Think of it like organising your house. You have a lot of things that can be hard to find (I know I had a charging cable here somewhere...) so you buy 10 large plastic crates and organise everything into those boxes (electronics, clothes, toys, cables, etc). You label each crate and it's now easy to find what you want. Need a charging cable? Open the cables box. Need to find your Gameboy (it's 1999 in my head) then go to the electronics box. It's easy.

If you then added a bunch of rules on top (blue cables can't go into any box

... I see what you mean. Thanks for this 😁

Could contain: Wiring, Box, Accessories, Bag, Handbag, Electronics, Hardware

Could contain: Floor, Flooring, Accessories, Bag, Handbag, Box

• Management
6 hours ago, FanClub Mike said:

... I see what you mean. Thanks for this 😁

Could contain: Wiring, Box, Accessories, Bag, Handbag, Electronics, Hardware

Could contain: Floor, Flooring, Accessories, Bag, Handbag, Box

I mean, that's a work of beauty. I recently did something similar by collecting all the cables, small electronics (USB hubs, etc) and put them in a single plastic crate. Now I know where to go when I need something, and if it's not there, I can buy a new one. 😆

@Esther E. has been busy listening to your feedback, and she's implemented two changes (I'll update the blog shortly).

The first, is that we're going to convert all your open tags over on upgrade, be that 10 or 10,000. You can then decide if you want to delete any from the AdminCP post conversion.

The second is a bulk tag add/remove tool via multi-moderation.

Could contain: Page, Text, File

Will/can the tag search function handle multiple tags with AND (and maybe OR) condition?

Similar to some CMS search plugins, where as you add more tags to the search query, it narrows down the list of items found. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

The first, is that we're going to convert all your open tags over on upgrade, be that 10 or 10,000. You can then decide if you want to delete any from the AdminCP post conversion.

Woohoo!! That's awesome. Thank you @Matt and thank you @Esther E.! 🙂 

Now one thing I'm still unclear about: will there be a way to merge different tags into one single tag? For example if I have topics that are tagged with the following tags:

• workaround
  • Workaround
  • workarounds
  • work around
  • bug workarounds

Will there be a way to merge all those into one single 'workarounds' tag?

• Management
35 minutes ago, David N. said:

Woohoo!! That's awesome. Thank you @Matt and thank you @Esther E.! 🙂 

Now one thing I'm still unclear about: will there be a way to merge different tags into one single tag? For example if I have topics that are tagged with the following tags:

• workaround
  • Workaround
  • workarounds
  • work around
  • bug workarounds

Will there be a way to merge all those into one single 'workarounds' tag?

No, but it might be worth considering a one-off script/tool that does this pre-upgrade.

11 hours ago, Matt said:

@Esther E. has been busy listening to your feedback, and she's implemented two changes (I'll update the blog shortly).

The second is a bulk tag add/remove tool via multi-moderation.

Yeahhh. Thank you 🥳

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, AlexJ said:

Hi @Matt   Lot of current users are using Advanced Tags & Prefixes. Can you please provide path for them for easy migration?  - Thanks.

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/416840-advanced-tags-prefixes-ips-4x/page/49/

A lot of people using that old application actually switched to using Radical Tags, which includes a tool to import the data:

19 hours ago, teraßyte said:

A lot of people using that old application actually switched to using Radical Tags, which includes a tool to import the data:

I am using Radical tags as well - just couldn't find that topic. Normally, I will search through market place but realized its gone, so shared through Google search. 🙂 

So are we saying anyone using Radical tags - its straight forward migration? OR I hope Radical tag continues because it has nice options to define color code of prefixes, which is very useful.