Running the Achievements Rebuild Feature

Go to solution Solved by Dexter_X,

Do we have to run the "Achievement Rebuild" feature every time we make changes to ranks or achievements if we want to affect the past points our members have received? 

We changed our ranks back to our old rule system from before the update, but points are being awarded according to this rule system only from the point it was created. (i.e. we changed it on June 30 and only since then have people received points according to the rule system we set in place. Their points prior to the change are still according to the default ranking system that was put in place after the update.)  

Does this make sense? Has anyone else tried and succeeded (or failed) by using the Achievement Rebuild feature?  

32 minutes ago, Dexter_X said:

If you change only ranks, you'll not need to rebuild all achievements. 

If you change your achievement rules (add or remove some rules), given badges and given points then yes, you'll need to run a rebuild...

Would it remember badges given out like logged in 7 days in a row or special ones given out by moderators like the superstar badge?

1 hour ago, marklcfc said:

Would it remember badges given out like logged in 7 days in a row or special ones given out by moderators like the superstar badge?

@Matt @Charles if I give out some of the manually awardable badges and then add a new badge/rule at some point leading to a rebuild, are all the manually awarded badges I've given to members lost?

Edited by marklcfc

12 hours ago, marklcfc said:

I did not try that yet (we've not even yet created the special ones in our achievements system)

• 2 weeks later...

After the upgrade everybody was a "newbie" so i am rebuilding the achievements manually, is it normal that it takes forever ?

I have a reasonnably large board (1.3 million messages) but hte "core-comment" will take almost one week at the current rate...

Are you sure it is still running @jesuralem? Can you see it in background processes?

As we can't (reason why I'm here). The recount has finished, but front-end isn't showing them. Tried it twice by now.

Front-end profiles keeps showing "Ranks are being recalculated. We'll show your current rank here soon" and no badges are shown. In the admin panel, users are distributed over badges and ranks, All background processes are completed and the re-count button is available again.

Edited by Sledge FTB

• Management
On 7/6/2021 at 11:06 PM, marklcfc said:

@Matt @Charles if I give out some of the manually awardable badges and then add a new badge/rule at some point leading to a rebuild, are all the manually awarded badges I've given to members lost?

Manually awarded badges are not removed by a rebuild. It would also remember "7 days logged in".

2 hours ago, jesuralem said:

After the upgrade everybody was a "newbie" so i am rebuilding the achievements manually, is it normal that it takes forever ?

I have a reasonnably large board (1.3 million messages) but hte "core-comment" will take almost one week at the current rate...

It depends on many factors, such as using traffic to run tasks versus cron. You could squeeze it through by running the specific task via cron every minute. Likewise, you could choose the "Run Now" option when viewing the background tasks and leave a browser window open churning through them.

When you rebuild you ask the system to pick through every single data point again (comments, topics, members, reactions, etc). It's an intensive operation so it's not something you'd want to do regularly.

In the future I may be able to have a rebuild specific rule option.

• 3 months later...
On 7/7/2021 at 9:07 AM, Daniel F said:

No, notifications won't be sent while the rebuild process.

Ok thanks Daniel. So no notifications are being sent during rebuild but what about the time after the upgrade from 4.5 to 4.6?

Once the upgrade is complete, I will need some time to set up my own rules and upload new badges and ranks.

What kind of notifications and to whom will be sent after a finished upgrade?

Can I just turn off notifications for as long as I need to set up my own services? And preferably immediately after the upgrade so that no notifications are sent.

Thanks in advance for any help.