Member Map

Are you planning to auto connect user location (in their profile / registration page) to member map?

would be cool, auto-add users ;)

I have suggested this and have offered to stump up some cash for a paid hook as this would be excellent for my club members to arrange local meets with other members...

here is how I thought it could work:

Firstly, this could be developed as an add-on hook, which includes a method that does the following as an action when logging in.

* If location is present in user-profile import location into Member Map.

* If member location is not present display notice that location is not yet set on forum front page

* If member location has changed from previous value, import updated location into member map.

Hopefully the above approach will be a better solution than bulk importing all members as I have over 11,000 members, but not all are still active, and this will effectively import "active" members who have logged in on my forums.

if you are happy to contribute some money towards this to expedite the development of this then I'm happy to do this.

I've not yet heard back from stoo2000 yet and wanted to give him the opportunity to response before I looked at posting on the project board as I would like this functionality probably faster than the developer can commit too as this is still in a beta stage :)

I have suggested this and have offered to stump up some cash for a paid hook as this would be excellent for my club members to arrange local meets with other members...

here is how I thought it could work:

Firstly, this could be developed as an add-on hook, which includes a method that does the following as an action when logging in.

* If location is present in user-profile import location into Member Map.

* If member location is not present display notice that location is not yet set on forum front page

* If member location has changed from previous value, import updated location into member map.

Hopefully the above approach will be a better solution than bulk importing all members as I have over 11,000 members, but not all are still active, and this will effectively import "active" members who have logged in on my forums.

if you are happy to contribute some money towards this to expedite the development of this then I'm happy to do this.

I've not yet heard back from stoo2000 yet and wanted to give him the opportunity to response before I looked at posting on the project board as I would like this functionality probably faster than the developer can commit too as this is still in a beta stage :smile:

HI Pete,

I've been thinking about how it would work, I'll respond to your PM now.

Stuart

Thanks for this - been using this for years. Also wanted to desribe our upgrade from the old version and add a few notes.

Same problems as many others. Perhaps mentioning in the app description for upgraders that they must revert template and css bits hacked on the old version. Re-caching that membermap cache bit also fixes missing avatars and hyperlinks to member profiles in the popups. I had to dig through this support thread to get that info.

The only bugs I can see on my end that are left are the "update location" and delete location" buttons are dead for me. That may be related to the fact we upgraded instead of a fresh install? Yes?

The other bit is the hook for a small map on a member's profile page. There is no zoom in-out on that anymore (was it there in the Google version from before? Now I can't remember...). I'd love to change the default zoom level on this bit. Haven't looked at the new templates to see if that's a hackable thing or not.

Just curious - will we be able to add in or change the default circle markers or is Bing limited here?

Last note. If you do push forward with the link between the location field on a user's profile and member map keep in mind some people spaz out on that field and enter nonsense locations for entertainment value. It would be great if we can choose whether or not to link these two together.

Thanks again!

Thanks for this - been using this for years. Also wanted to desribe our upgrade from the old version and add a few notes.

Same problems as many others. Perhaps mentioning in the app description for upgraders that they must revert template and css bits hacked on the old version. Re-caching that membermap cache bit also fixes missing avatars and hyperlinks to member profiles in the popups. I had to dig through this support thread to get that info.
The only bugs I can see on my end that are left are the "update location" and delete location" buttons are dead for me. That may be related to the fact we upgraded instead of a fresh install? Yes?

Reverting the templates/css is the same for any app though, I don't think it's the role of the app to inform the user about that, I would post about that in the feedback forum to see if IPS can do something about that if it's causing confusion.

The avatars being missing from the map after upgrade is something that's designed in as such. The class/methods used to build those images are not available in the upgrader/installer, so they get skipped until the next cache rebuild (which would be within the next 24h).

There is no need to rebuild the cache manually in Beta 2, the issues that step fixed are no longer a problem.

If those buttons are dead, that means that you've got a JavaScript error, it could be that the JavaScript file for member map is missing from the server, or that it isn't being loaded for some reason. Have a look at your browser console (F12) have a look for any JavaScript errors. - If you have trouble with this, PM me your URL and I'll take a look.

The other bit is the hook for a small map on a member's profile page. There is no zoom in-out on that anymore (was it there in the Google version from before? Now I can't remember...). I'd love to change the default zoom level on this bit. Haven't looked at the new templates to see if that's a hackable thing or not.

The profile map has always been 'static', it's not intended to be a full featured map. However, there is an open bug report for the zoom level: http://ipb.silvesterwebdesigns.com/tracker/issue-371-profile-map-too-zoomed-in/

Just curious - will we be able to add in or change the default circle markers or is Bing limited here?

I'm not 100% sure yet, the design that you've got there is the default 'Bing Theme', I'm working on Custom icons (to an extent - for custom markers) for 2.0.0 final.

Last note. If you do push forward with the link between the location field on a user's profile and member map keep in mind some people spaz out on that field and enter nonsense locations for entertainment value. It would be great if we can choose whether or not to link these two together.

Thanks again!

That was one of the concerns that I had that I conveyed to Pete. It's unlikely that this functionality would be included with Member Map, since it's very likely that it'll run up charges with the amount of API requests.

Thanks for the feedback :smile:
Stuart

Apologies for my stupid questions in advance:

I installed the member map some time ago, what is meant by reverting the templates/css?

I don't want to lose any markers, does the beta version upgrade the original member map?

Thanks

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes, it's an upgrade.

If you've changed any CSS or HTML templates for the app, you have to revert them when you upgrade, otherwise the new version will not work. If you haven't edited either of these in the past (shown by a red dot next to the template name) you don't need to worry about it.

Stuart

Sorry it's taken a while to get back to you on this, had to dig in and test some code.

Replace the mapInfoBox template in your skin with this:

<php>
$avatar = IPSMember::buildProfilePhoto($memberData, 'small');
IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_html				= $memberData['g_dohtml'];
IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_nl2br			= 1;
IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_smilies			= 0;
IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parse_bbcode			= 1;
IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parsing_section		= 'signatures';
IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parsing_mgroup			= $memberData['member_group_id'];
IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->parsing_mgroup_others	= $memberData['mgroup_others'];

$memberData['signature']	= IPSText::getTextClass('bbcode')->preDisplayParse( $memberData['signature'] );
$memberData['signature'] = $this->registry->getClass('output')->getTemplate('global')->signature_separator( $memberData['signature'] );
$sig = str_replace(array('"', "n", "r"), array("'", '', ''), $memberData['signature']);
$memberData['prefix'] = str_replace('"', "'", $memberData['prefix']);
</php><div class='left def'>{$avatar}</div><div class='left text'><h3><a href='{parse url="showuser={$memberData['member_id']}" template="showuser" seotitle="{$memberData['members_seo_name']}" base="public"}' title='{$this->lang->words['view_profile']}'>{$memberData['members_display_name']}</a><span class='ieHide'>{parse template="user_popup" group="global" params="$memberData['member_id'], $memberData['members_seo_name']"}</span></h3><p>{$memberData['prefix']}{$memberData['g_title']}{$memberData['suffix']}</p><if test="($this->memberData['member_id'] && $member['member_id'] == $this->memberData['member_id']) || $this->memberData['g_is_supmod'] == 1"><p class='remMarker'><a href='{parse url="module=membermap&amp;action=removeMarker&amp;do={$memberData['member_id']}" base="publicWithApp" template="removeMarker" seotitle="false"}' title='{$this->lang->words['modRemoveMarker']}'>{parse replacement="rep_down"} {$this->lang->words['modRemoveMarker']}</a></p></if></div><br clear='all'/>{$sig}

You can change the icon url for Home and friend icons in public/js/ips.membermap.js on line 67 & 71, you may need to adjust the size and anchor to match your new icon

Working on it :thumbsup: (Question has been asked multiple times in previous pages )

I need to change the pop up contents for Beta 2, will the above edits work again ??

I just upgraded from the previous version, I can see my previous members but when you click on one of them it goes to a directory that does not exist /forums/null

and give me this message

Error 404 - Not Found

The document you are looking for may have been removed or re-named. Please contact the web site owner for further assistance.

Did I miss a step somewhere?

Hi!

In our board we were using Member 1.0.7 and had created (and still wish to use) some custom markers.

Starting from a few weeks ago, the main page stucks when I load membermap, and as I understand this is related to the application not supporting google maps API v3 yet. (@stoo2000: Is this true? I see some part of the javascript code having been converted to v3 API. Can you please explain what forced you to move to BIng maps API? (sorry for asking - I am sure you have been asked this question again!).

I then upgraded to 1.0.9 (after seeing that the 2.0.0 beta does not support custom markers yet) but still I get the same "stuck" page.

So, (as others ask above) will custom markers be supported soon, or you encountered problems for implementing this in Bing maps API and you think this will be delayed?

Keep up the good work!

Hi!

In our board we were using Member 1.0.7 and had created (and still wish to use) some custom markers.

Starting from a few weeks ago, the main page stucks when I load membermap, and as I understand this is related to the application not supporting google maps API v3 yet. (@stoo2000: Is this true? I see some part of the javascript code having been converted to v3 API. Can you please explain what forced you to move to BIng maps API? (sorry for asking - I am sure you have been asked this question again!).

I then upgraded to 1.0.9 (after seeing that the 2.0.0 beta does not support custom markers yet) but still I get the same "stuck" page.

So, (as others ask above) will custom markers be supported soon, or you encountered problems for implementing this in Bing maps API and you think this will be delayed?

Keep up the good work!

I would recommend upgrading to the latest version, at least you will have member markers! (and a working map!).

It seems to be a lottery for maps that work and maps that don't.

stuart

hi Stuart

Any ideas re changing the contents of the pop-up box as per my post 1 page back ?

Hiya,

You might get it to work, you might not.

The new template that this would go in is

function mapInfoBox($memberData) {
$IPBHTML = "";
//--starthtml--//
$IPBHTML .= <<<EOF
<php>
$avatar = IPSMember::buildProfilePhoto($memberData, 'small');
</php>
{$avatar}
EOF;
//--endhtml--//
return $IPBHTML;
}

You would need to strip out all of the old HTML that's no longer used and just add {$sig}

This information will be cached to a public place on your website and may cause the map to load slower (since there's going to be quite a bit more data to load)