Dark theme by IPS

RObiN-HoOD

2 minutes ago, Joel R said:

They actually have a dark theme in the Marketplace for IPS, unsupported and probably out of date.  

Only theme settings are customized on that dark version theme in marketplace which means it will always work with any version of ips 4.x.x.

The only problem would be new color settings if ips adds on future ips updates which in this case you simply change the color to a dark color 😉

I created a dark theme that works with just theme color edits. It was so. much. work. I went through all theme files and redid all color calls because some things use the theme color variables but many are hardcoded in CSS. I also converted everything to REM for easier large type themes but that's a different fun story.

You also need to add a bunch of new color variables because once you start, you realize you need (for example) "weak" "normal" and "strong" tints for backgrounds, text and borders that you can more or less invert but also color variables for things that don't change between themes like the mobile drawers needs to stay black background and white text.

As is, the default theme is not easily 'switchable' to dark without major surgery.

light.thumb.jpg.2391ba7c54dc0d3c7507bada07981f2c.jpg

dark.thumb.jpg.ac4f7f07865c41783181a069e955c7a0.jpg

• 1 month later...

I would support adding to the IPS workload by adding a native dark/night mode option which comes out the box, Ive tried myself a few times and it’s a nightmare, especially the editor.

Night mode is one of the most requested features for both iOS and Android operating systems, Twitter, YouTube both have them now, Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp are both working on releasing soon.

Users no longer want to be blinded by bright whites, especially at night. 

#MobileEyesMatter

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, PoC2 said:

I'm also receiving requests for a Dark Theme.

It would be handy if IPS had an official Dark Theme built-in as my time is spent elsewhere on community, content and just keeping things running!

I can't see IPS launch official theme that dark as would require support during the updates and as see always busy doing the updates it would be best look two option one build your own using the tools provided or look at the third party route. 

9 minutes ago, Pete T said:

it would be best look two option one build your own using the tools provided or look at the third party route. 

That's not going to happen. I've learnt over many, many years not to mess "beyond vanilla" due to multiple headaches with later core upgrades and lack of long term developer support. It would need official core support or it effectively does not exist.

The visual theme is more important for many than the odd extra facility like another alternative payment processor or new shop filter boxes. The visual appearance of a web site is one of the greatest impacts on visitor experience. I would like to suggest to IPS that offering a Dark Theme (as YouTube and others do now) should be given serious thought.

4 minutes ago, PoC2 said:

That's not going to happen. I've learnt over many, many years not to mess "beyond vanilla" due to multiple headaches with later core upgrades and lack of long term developer support. It would need official core support or it effectively does not exist.

The visual theme is more important for many than the odd extra facility like another alternative payment processor or new shop filter boxes. The visual appearance of a web site is one of the greatest impacts on visitor experience. I would like to suggest to IPS that offering a Dark Theme (as YouTube and others do now) should be given serious thought.

I see where coming from trust me but for years ips always had one theme the light version but when we moved to 4.x.x they did have dark theme just come with no support so please could use it for help on making a dark version, maybe might support second version but i would hold my breath i do have the dark version that was here but i not sure if been removed as can't find it.

9 hours ago, Pete T said:

I can't see IPS launch official theme that dark as would require support during the updates and as see always busy doing the updates it would be best look two option one build your own using the tools provided or look at the third party route. 

Not sure why it would require any additional support that would be overly time consuming after the initial release, the templates would be identical to the default light theme, changes would be CSS only which beyond any initial bugs rarely gets modified.

Whilst I don’t want to knock third party theme developers, if you go down that route you’re in the hands of the designer and hoping they are fair quick on updating their themes when updates are released.

It feels like most suggestions/feedback in this board now are batted away with go and find a third party solution, I understand there is a need for third party developers/designers for the more unique requests, but dark themes are more in demand since YouTube, Twitter released the option. WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger are currently testing their dark themes and more will follow suit with the likes of Instagram. 

These are the sites we are battling with for users screen time, are they going to feel more comfortable at night with a dark theme Twitter or a bright white forum?

Reactions, gifs IPS are keeping up with these little toys, why not an official dark mode that doesn’t need downloading from the marketplace but built into the core package when downloaded?

1 minute ago, dayh said:

Not sure why it would require any additional support that would be overly time consuming after the initial release, the templates would be identical to the default light theme, changes would be CSS only which beyond any initial bugs rarely gets modified.

Whilst I don’t want to knock third party theme developers, if you go down that route you’re in the hands of the designer and hoping they are fair quick on updating their themes when updates are released.

It feels like most suggestions/feedback in this board now are batted away with go and find a third party solution, I understand there is a need for third party developers/designers for the more unique requests, but dark themes are more in demand since YouTube, Twitter released the option. WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger are currently testing their dark themes and more will follow suit with the likes of Instagram. 

These are the sites we are battling with for users screen time, are they going to feel more comfortable at night with a dark theme Twitter or a bright white forum?

Reactions, gifs IPS are keeping up with these little toys, why not an official dark mode that doesn’t need downloading from the marketplace but built into the core package when downloaded?

I not saying would be lots time required in ips making the dark theme as said as using standard core functions so would limit issue but i very sure will require small amount update during the upgrade cycle would it help if third party would bring out dark theme for free based on the basic standard theme ?

10 hours ago, PoC2 said:

There are plenty of long-term developers for IPS who have dark themes available and who have provided long-term support. I can name @ehren. as one such example. I've been running communities for at least 15 years and have been an IPS customer for about 10 of those. I've only ever really been let down when I failed to do my research.

2 hours ago, Pete T said:

I not saying would be lots time required in ips making the dark theme as said as using standard core functions so would limit issue but i very sure will require small amount update during the upgrade cycle would it help if third party would bring out dark theme for free based on the basic standard theme ?

It's not the cost that puts me off, developers/designers deserve to be paid for their work, wouldn't expect any plugins or themes for free.

I just personally enjoy the freedom of being third party plugin and theme free, I have bought a couple in the past just to see how they work and then made the template changes myself rather than use the plugin.

Over the years on this support board I've seen numerous customers with forums that used apps and plugins which the developer abandoned or moved from other software which had plugins which don't exist in the IPS world, plugins which they built their community around. I decided not to go down that path with my forum and pretty much use it out the box as boring as that may be.

We're not fully safe from discontinued apps in the hands of IPS either, I used IP Chat which was scrapped and I'm sure some still believe I'm lying when I tell them they don't support it anymore, they think it's to move all the content back on the forum for extra ad revenue!

Hope you or any other developer/theme creator don't take this personally, I haven't had a bad experience with anyone on here, I think it's great the add ons you all provide to fill the gaps that IPS leave and many appreciate the work you do, it's just not for me that's all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I'd bet the only reason for not really having all of this after 4 years (options for dark mode etc) is because they try and get more sales for their 3rd party products (less support to give but still collect the fees from the sale)

Otherwise why else leave the default skin to be so basic?? Make no sense after 4 years..

I'll keep ranting till this gets put right, only reason I bought Vuples Dark was to get a dark skin with some options but because its 3rd party, forget help lol, also every upgrade the templates break...... come on, go to be a joke right?

Also, when i say put right, I'm literally talking about colours, can't be hard to add some options to totally flip the colour scheme in the default skin.....

I know you hate me, but I hate the product I bought so makes both of us hate something 🙂

Archived