Is this still your email address (widget)?

opentype

Feature request for IPS or any developers like Fosters, Adriano F. and so on who might be faster. ;-) 

Outdated email addresses can be a big problem. They are bad for business (e.g. bringing your members back to your site through bulk mails and notifications) and they are highly annoying, if you have to manually deal with bounces as admin. 

Just like there is this new newsletter subscription widget in 4.3, something similar could be added for email addresses. Set a fixed or admin-based interval (e.g. a year) and then ask the user in a widget if the displayed email address is still correct. Once confirmed, the widget goes away. It’s a standard feature on social media services like Twitter. It’s simple and effective. Especially on sites where you login with username and password, users will just never know when their email addresses on file become outdated. I know there are already products dealing with bounces, but I much rather give the user the chance to not create bounces in the first place. 

If we would have such a proactive function widget, it...

• could also check if email addresses are violating the email address filter in its current version. I'm adding a lot temporary/disposal email domains to it day for day, and it would be great, if the scheduled check could also check, if the currently entered email address is still allowed. If not -> ban the account until a new valid email address is activated by the user and exclude it from bulk mail.

• have an option to require an email reacivation - maybe only for users whose domains don't belong to a custom domain list... Most of my members use the standard email address providers like gmail and others... Only a few members use different address domains. This way, we could eliminate a lot temporary/disposal addresses, too. If this would be combined with another check, that only user, that haven't been online for x days/weeks/months/years, will be required to reactivate, we protect currently active users. If there is no reactivation, ban the user temporarily until entering a new address and exclude it from bulk mail.

Only ideas...

31 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

So this, basically:

Not quite. The “force all users once to change the address with a rather intrusive pop-up” was not my suggestion. But yeah, it addresses the same problem in a different way. 

My suggestion: a super simple system widget you just put anywhere on your site:

confirm.thumb.png.0c806eb813f0d3d6f9ba950e376bf1ce.png

8 minutes ago, opentype said:

Not quite. The “force all users once to change the address with a rather intrusive pop-up” was not my suggestion. But yeah, it addresses the same problem in a different way. 

My suggestion: a super simple system widget you just put anywhere on your site:

confirm.thumb.png.0c806eb813f0d3d6f9ba950e376bf1ce.png

If no one else does it until tomorrow, I’ll do it. :p

While investigation an email problem we discovered huge amounts of bounces.
Over 60-thousand notifications-mails just for one user that had registered and subscribed to a high-volume forum, for never to be seen again.
Would be nice to have a function that cleared the notification lists after bouncing mails to members that haven't been logged in for a given time.

An option to turn of subscription to forums would also be good, has little meaning to subscribe to a forum with 100 new topics a day. Most probably this happens by mistake or lack of knowledge, and user might complain why he is drowning in mail.

Already exists.

27 minutes ago, bpn said:

While investigation an email problem we discovered huge amounts of bounces.
Over 60-thousand notifications-mails just for one user that had registered and subscribed to a high-volume forum, for never to be seen again.
Would be nice to have a function that cleared the notification lists after bouncing mails to members that haven't been logged in for a given time.

An option to turn of subscription to forums would also be good, has little meaning to subscribe to a forum with 100 new topics a day. Most probably this happens by mistake or lack of knowledge, and user might complain why he is drowning in mail.

On 2/13/2018 at 11:11 AM, Joel R said:

Have you seen Mail Bouncer by @stoo2000?  It adds a front-end notice to change your email address.  

55 minutes ago, bpn said:

Not sure if I'm following you, but you can remove all followed content from the users with the following plugins:

This is one of the features of the above plugin.

And:

That will stop your board from sending emails to this user when someone updates something he/she is following.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

Many thanks Adriano. As far as I can tell that's the functionality we had in 3.x.

What I suggest is an automatic service who does this job in the background. If notification-mails are bouncing, and the user is not active on the forum anymore, his notification-list is cleared.
To do this manually is not feasible.

7 hours ago, bpn said:

What I suggest is an automatic service who does this job in the background. If notification-mails are bouncing, and the user is not active on the forum anymore, his notification-list is cleared.

Ask these developers:
https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8515-sd-outdate-emails/
https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/6877-mail-bouncer/

Archived