[IP.Downloads] Feedback on v4.0.x Downloads

Joel R

I'm waiting for my current batch of files to be uploaded to IP.Downloads, so I thought I would offer some general feedback in no particular order to encompass all aspects of IP.Download.  

Before I begin my feedback, I want to explain that I consider myself a "mega-user" of IP.Downloads, in that I have the arduous task of rebuilding my entire collection of files in v4 ... all 50,000 of them ... which means that I care about the efficient management of files on a large-scale basis.  A lack of certain features that may be tolerable when managing only a handful of files at a time get exacerbated when dealing with hundreds of files at once, and certain problems become more apparent.    

1. Categories Widget on Sidebar - I've only created seven initial categories, yet I can already foresee how the Categories Widget isn't designed to handle a large directory structure.  I would much rather prefer a tree-type of category, which can be expanded or closed as needed.  Furthermore, showing the first 5 sub-categories is unnecessary, when that space can be used to show other top-level categories. 

2.  Empty Categories - When you have a category that doesn't allow uploads, it shows the category as blank.  Even though there are hundreds of files in sub-categories!  I'd like to make the suggestion that was already implemented in v3: if a category doesn't allow direct uploads, show files from its sub-categories.

3.  Uploading Multiple Files - I thought the process was different, based upon my recollection from the previews and betas ... I thought I could add descriptions and screenshots while files are being uploaded.  The current process requires me to wait for all files to be uploaded.  

4.  Uploading Multiple Files via FTP - This was a lifesaver to me in v3, and I hope it will be brought back.  Because I ain't got time to babysit file uploading ... especially when it's fifty thousand files.

Notime.jpg.18473ab108aa5a903597c4241acd0

Sweet Brown has as many hours in the day as me: Not Enough.  

5.  Cancel File while Uploading - There are certain instances during the batch uploading process when I need to delete a specific file (eg. wrong file, mistake on file).  There's no way for me to stop or cancel a file or the upload process.  This would be a great option for all batch uploading (eg. IP.Gallery)!

6.  Editing Multiple Files - Not sure if this is possible but an auto-save as I progress through the files would be nice.  There have instances (keep reading) where I've had to refresh the page ... which causes all data to be erased!  And then I scream choice words and expletives at the software, throw keyboard out the window, try to /wrist as I've had to redo the descriptions multiple times already, etc.   

7.  Highlight Screenshot field - This is so minor but this could be a life-saver for me (literally, see #6).  What happens is that I drag the image over, and then accidentally plop it somewhere else on the page which causes Chrome to upload the file ... and wipe out any data in the descriptions.  (In my defense, I'm trying to edit dozens of files as fast as possible.)  It would be nice to see a visual cue in the Screenshot field to better help me point-and-aim correctly.  

il_570xN.833082888_73jb.jpg.cd1e331ec35e

I'm a guy.  I can't help it.

That's all the feedback for right now ... until my next batch upload ... 

8. Insert uploaded screenshots to the file description. - Sometimes I need to insert images to the file description, and also add them to the screenshots field. Now I have to upload 2 sets of images, as I need to upload one set to screenshots field, and upload another set to editor field.

• 1 year later...

I'd like to bump this topic, especially:

#4 Uploading Multiple Files via FTP

This was a tool in the ACP in IP.Downloads v3 that allowed users to upload multiple files and create multiple records, one for each upload.  This is a worthwhile tool to build since it allows admins to bulk upload thousands of files all at once.  The front-end upload process is not designed for that kind of uploading.  

I'm going to chime in to subscribe as I've just started using the downloads app for IPS 4. I would like to see some sort of default screenshot change if one is not uploaded, without having to change that file that is for a "no image". Maybe something where you can upload a default in admin CP per file type. I have a lot of PDFs with no screenshots. 

Also, the ability to not use version numbers would be good.

I was able to shut this requirement down in usergroup settings it looks like because now I can upload and not have a version number...:thumbsup:

• 4 months later...
On 03/12/2016 at 6:34 PM, Joel R said:

#4 Uploading Multiple Files via FTP

This was a tool in the ACP in IP.Downloads v3 that allowed users to upload multiple files and create multiple records, one for each upload.  This is a worthwhile tool to build since it allows admins to bulk upload thousands of files all at once.  The front-end upload process is not designed for that kind of uploading.

I'm migrating my forum to IPS and FTP upload would be a great idea. I have 24,000 files to upload and the current system is extremely slow.

I also have to review all the names when I upload.

I have the files with the standardized description eg:
HP COMPAQ Presario C500 - COMPALLA - 3341PIBL30 - REV0.2Sec.pdf

After Upload:
58e9782da3e61_HPCOMPAQPresarioC500-COMPALLA-3341PIBL30-REV0.2Sec.pdf

Is there any way the current system does not put these numbers in front of the text and not take away the spaces?

FTP uploads that can be used with members would be great. I'm having big trouble trying to allow large uploads and use cloud flare on my site. Cloudflare has 100mb upload limit. If ftp for members was allowed in downloads I could by pass the stupid upload limit of cloudflare.

• 9 months later...
Just now, Adriano Faria said:

You just need to select multiple files if you're already in a category:

VZZp336.png

No, I already tested that this morning.  That adds multiple files --> one record.  

I want multiple files --> multiple records.  And you only get that option if you upload from Downloads index page:

5a6dc26c56a51_Submitafile.PNG.d7a643cc8b6f08d78e2a749c086d1b5e.PNG

Pain points with Downloads:

• File obfuscation is still a thing in IP.Downloads if there's a space in the filename.  For example, it converts something like "My File.zip" into "5a7609c420656_MyFile.zip"
  • FTP upload.
  • Version number when versioning feature is disabled

• 4 months later...

Updated feedback on downloads:

UPLOADING - Continue button

• Upload files
  • Click "Continue" button before all files have finished uploading.  Get a warning error.
  • "Continue" button is not clickable anymore

This problem happens when uploading multiple records AND 'submit multiple files' screen.  

• 5 months later...

Downloads widgets - Add option in ACP to adjust timeframes (eg. past week, past month).  Otherwise widgets like Most Downloaded and Highest Rated will be the same files for the rest of time.  

#2.  Again.  We need categories as a container.  I use top-level categories to identify groups of files, but I only list files in sub-categories.  It's confusing to users when they go to those top level categories and see 0 files.  

I am going to just say, while I love IPS, the team and this software;

it seems there is a concerted effort to actively avoid Downloads. 

There are so many threads asking for improvements and other issues be addressed yet rarely any mention of it from IPS.

It is hands down the most neglected app in the suite.

It makes me sad because it's my favorite app and the entire reason why I switched to IPS in the first place. 

• 1 month later...

Editing Screenshots - Be able to edit screenshots directly from the file page.  Having to navigate to the file upload page is unnecessary and triggers a notification that the file has been updated, even though it hasn't.  

Batch tag - Similar to gallery when uploading multiple files, be able to add tag to all files.

Cancel File Upload - Be able to cancel individual file uploads and / or screenshots during the upload process.  Because sometimes I go fast and accidentally upload something I don't want.  Also, because somehow IPS thinks it's okay to click continue during middle of an unfinished file upload but not a cancel. 🤷‍♂️

On 12/29/2018 at 2:48 AM, Joel R said:

File Versioning -- I have Versioning disabled, yet I still see "1.0.0" by title on file details page.  

21 minutes ago, SJ77 said:

This drives me crazy!!! I really wish it would go away

Setting it to NULL removes it. I'm not sure if it interferes with anything else. Test and let us know:

3a0G0n5.png

Hide File Version on File View.xml

Archived