The Pink Message in the Admin CP

Neil2

Folks two weeks is really annoying when someone downloads and updates the security patches, etc the day they are issued.

IPB are you going to resolve this for the people that follow the link to the posted message, the pink banner message will leave the admin cp?

That message box is controlled on our end, and is turned off after an appropriate period of time has elapsed.

There is no provision to "check" whether you've applied the patch, however, so the message remains until we turn it off.

In the past, and somewhat depending on the severity of the released item, we have had that show for more than a few days.

The warning is also cached on your install for roughly 24 hours, as well as in your browser (since it's a template), so a CTRL-F5 may be needed once its turned off.

Hey Mark

Yes I knew it is controlled from you folks, but the way you folks code I was asking and wondering if I log into the CP and follow the link to the Topic, Message, Blog, with the updated info, could you folks code it to where the pink message would disappear as long as I followed the link?

I understand and the thought never crossed my mind if IPB could track who uploaded the patch, data, etc. that would be too much to configure and I really don't know if that would be possible, but once you issue the message out to everyone and we the owners follow the link to the appropriate location of the message or alert, then IPB's liability is done and I would like to see it disappear.

The last time I had this message it was visible for 14 or 15 days in my CP, so I followed it two or three times just to make sure something new had been placed there for updating.

I just think the 2 weeks or more is too excessive and unnecessary for a locked in submittal by IPB, so if you can code it to drop off once the owner follows the link then that assures all licensed owners have a chance to see the updated information, some much sooner than others.

Also by coding the message this way, if you have a site owner who does not log into their cp for more than a month like I use to do, then the message stays there for them until they follow the link, while others who log in everyday it drops off.

Is it really that annoying? Honestly?

At first no it is not, but logging into my admin cp everyday and seeing the same message for 2 weeks or more yes it is and there is no reason for it to be there that long.

Like I stated above, the ones that sees the message, follows the links provided, it should disappear for them immediately. The other forum owners who waits for longer time period to log into their admin cp that has not seen the message then it is good to stay there for them.

There is nothing that can (or will) be done for 3.x.

In 4.0 we will implement a system where the message goes away either automatically after applying a patch or after being manually dismissed.

Sounds good so how about adjusting the time now where it only stays up there for a week or less now?

I would rather as many administrators as possible see it.

Not my problem, no use for the ones who does see it be punished for the ones who have not, I mean heck fire they already spam the cp anyway with the IPS Latest News, so why keep the old pinky?

Not my problem

It is IPS' problem, and they're not here just to make you happy. They have to work in the best interest of the majority of their client base. That's how it works.

If it bothers you so much, I can provide you with the steps necessary to disable it permanently. But that also means you'll never get any future notices.

Rather it be there for a couple of weeks in case am away for awhile and can see it when I get back otherwise if it goes after a few days then I may miss the message and so leave my site vulnerable.

Jeez .. its only a little message it doesn't hit you full on in the face with a massive message so to be honest cannot see what the problem is.

It is IPS' problem, and they're not here just to make you happy. They have to work in the best interest of the majority of their client base. That's how it works.

If it bothers you so much, I can provide you with the steps necessary to disable it permanently. But that also means you'll never get any future notices.

It is a IPB problem and yes it is their job to make me and everyone else happy that owns licenses like I do, so your first sentence was pointless.

Just remember one thing I have been a customer way longer than you have been and unlike you I am on my forum and did not just purchase a license so I can come here to post and be active.

Rather it be there for a couple of weeks in case am away for awhile and can see it when I get back otherwise if it goes after a few days then I may miss the message and so leave my site vulnerable.

Jeez .. its only a little message it doesn't hit you full on in the face with a massive message so to be honest cannot see what the problem is.

Again if you are away and I use to be one of them myself, I would go months before logging into then with my recommendation the little message will be there for you when you return, versus the rest of the owners do not have to see it after we have followed the link.

What's more annoying is these threads EVERY time there's an upgrade!

Then don't click or read the TOPIC, how simple is that??

Then don't read the message in the acp, how simple is that??

It is a IPB problem and yes it is their job to make me and everyone else happy that owns licenses like I do, so your first sentence was pointless.
Just remember one thing I have been a customer way longer than you have been and unlike you I am on my forum and did not just purchase a license so I can come here to post and be active.

Don't be that guy. Nobody likes that guy.

I was wondering when you were going to chime in, just three more and the little pack has arrived.

Anyway Remi when you log into your admin CP how can you not read the message it is right there actually pops out at you, so tell me how do you overlook that?

Close you eyes and hit a option to go somewhere else? Hang a piece of paper over the monitor until I have navigated elsewhere?

Simple little question and request to correct a minor issue that would benefit all customers, then you and your gang tries to make it appear I am asking for a brand new version of the software.

Personally, I don't think it's that hard to ignore...

I still have a board that's on 3.3.4, customized skin and I haven't had the time to mess with it, so I have the 'upgrade' notice in my ACP 24/7.

You just learn to ignore it...

Do I think there can be some improvements so it can be 'acknowledged', sure... But I would rather the devs spend their time elsewhere as that's an un-important bit in terms of functionality.

Neil2 maybe you didn't read what was already stated but I quoted it below for you.

There is nothing that can (or will) be done for 3.x.

In 4.0 we will implement a system where the message goes away either automatically after applying a patch or after being manually dismissed.

They answered your question and they aren't going to do anything for 3.x But that wasn't good enough because even when they said nothing WILL be done, you still asked them to do something anyways. I personally think this and any other topic like it should be locked because it's just beating a dead horse over and over again.

Neil2 maybe you didn't read what was already stated but I quoted it below for you.

They answered your question and they aren't going to do anything for 3.x But that wasn't good enough because even when they said nothing WILL be done, you still asked them to do something anyways. I personally think this and any other topic like it should be locked because it's just beating a dead horse over and over again.

horse.gif

Completely offtopic, but dude your site looks awesome

And I've probably contributed far more to the community here than you have in your lifetime as a client, what's your point? This childish attitude of yours isn't going to help you get your way. "I've been a client longer than you have," I mean, honestly? How old are you? Not sure what it is with people acting like children on here this week.

Can someone please just lock this topic since the OP is being hard headed and his question has been clearly answered? No need to keep beating this dead horse. Some people refuse to accept that they're not going to get their way on everything.

This is going to be changed in 4.0, it is not changing in 3.4 just because you want it to.

I was wondering when you were going to chime in, just three more and the little pack has arrived.
Anyway Remi when you log into your admin CP how can you not read the message it is right there actually pops out at you, so tell me how do you overlook that?
Close you eyes and hit a option to go somewhere else? Hang a piece of paper over the monitor until I have navigated elsewhere?

Simple little question and request to correct a minor issue that would benefit all customers, then you and your gang tries to make it appear I am asking for a brand new version of the software.

The same way I ignore the message telling me to upgrade. It's not that big of a deal. Nothing of value is on the front page of the acp anyway.

Would you like me to find the code edit so the message goes away?

horse.gif

Completely offtopic, but dude your site looks awesome

Exactly, that damn dead horse has been beaten enough.

And thank you :) Appreciate it greatly, looking to do some bigger and better things with it after 4.0 come out and some mods have been upgraded.

The same way I ignore the message telling me to upgrade. It's not that big of a deal. Nothing of value is on the front page of the acp anyway.

Would you like me to find the code edit so the message goes away?

No, because then he'd miss all the other updates and then blame you for any issues he'd come across that relate to seeing that message.

No, because then he'd miss all the other updates and then blame you for any issues he'd come across that relate to seeing that message.

Actually the reasons you used are complete bulls....t :) Specifically the last one you used is extremely funny.

We have complete different reasons. For us the message simply creates additional work for our staff. It effects our work flaw because every admin who logs into admin panel sees the message and gets worrried. To prevent that we need to create special items in our project manager for completed things . simply it causes us valuable time.

You should try not to make feature requests personal or else you'll never present correct reasonings like you did in this ticket.

Archived