Uses deprecated APIs ...

On 2/3/2024 at 10:47 PM, Adlago said:

Judging by my quoted post from 2020, should we expect a change in 2028?😇

As was already mentioned in the post you mention from 2020, it is a large change that requires a major change in the platform. v5 is that major change, and even with that, we are having to move it part by part. While I understand you want this to change over night, its going to take time. 

8 minutes ago, sadams101 said:

Google says: "Deprecated APIs are scheduled to be removed from Chrome." Will you beat this removal date, and do you know what that date actually is?

This one?

https://developer.chrome.com/docs/web-platform/deprecating-unload

If so, Ending with 100% of users by the end of Q3 2024

Assuming that means anyone on v4 won't be able to use Chrome after the deprecation?

Edited by Clover13

This is the removal timeline from the Google article:

In addition, from Q3 2024, we intend to start a generic phase where unload will gradually cease to function on any sites, starting with 1% of users and ending with 100% of users by the end of Q1 2025.

Deprecation means that it will be removed soon, not cease to function. Q1 2025 maybe that date of cease to function. However, that does not sound firmed up.

Also, it is worth noting that a library we use has this function in it. Whether or not that we use the functionality it uses as a part of it is another thing that a developer can confirm. It also may not be detrimental to your sites at all so I wouldn't panic just yet 😉 

4 minutes ago, Jim M said:

Also, it is worth noting that a library we use has this function in it.

This sounds very strange - you are developing a very successful product - fact. But you use a third party javascript that changes the results of your work...And you don't reduce the value of your product when it degrades in use...
Why not create a complete set of just your product…
There is a Bulgarian proverb - but it's untranslatable to write it to you, and it sounds vulgar... But it's strange to me - issues with libraries constantly arise, and not just now, and you justify yourself with them, but you don't trying to make your libraries compliant with the new web criteria - and manageable by you...

1 minute ago, Adlago said:

but you don't trying to make your libraries compliant with the new web criteria - and manageable by you...

In V5, we will indeed be changing this and this has been outlined multiple time 🙂 . I'm not sure where you read we weren't. It isn't something we are able to just patch tomorrow though, I'm afraid. It is a long process to remove our dependency on the JavaScript libraries we use currently.

21 minutes ago, Jim M said:

This is the removal timeline from the Google article:

Deprecation means that it will be removed soon, not cease to function. Q1 2025 maybe that date of cease to function. However, that does not sound firmed up.

Also, it is worth noting that a library we use has this function in it. Whether or not that we use the functionality it uses as a part of it is another thing that a developer can confirm. It also may not be detrimental to your sites at all so I wouldn't panic just yet 😉 

So if I understand your response, perhaps my site won't function properly for 30-50% of Chrome users by the end of this year, and 100% one year from now, if you don't fix this issue in time?

Just now, sadams101 said:

So if I understand your response, perhaps my site won't function properly for 30-50% of Chrome users by the end of this year, and 100% one year from now, if you don't fix this issue in time?

That is the exact opposite of what I said. 

2 minutes ago, Jim M said:

In V5, we will indeed be changing this and this has been outlined multiple time 🙂 . I'm not sure where you read we weren't. It isn't something we are able to just patch tomorrow though, I'm afraid. It is a long process to remove our dependency on the JavaScript libraries we use currently.

Let me be skeptical... I became your customer when version 4.0.x launched with similar promises... That was 9 years ago... Now you are promising a change with version 5.x.x... I'm not sure that will happen I'm...I'm sorry...

• Management

We are not going to simply allow all our customers to never use Google Chrome again. 😅 That would be a terrible decision.

We will ensure it's resolved ahead of the removal later this year. We use an older plugin for jQuery to manage browser history state. We already plan to move that to native JS APIs in v5 and v4.

• 2 weeks later...