Marketplace: The Next Steps

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I gotta say, this is a pain.  I have to contact each provider, hope they have a site, then register, then keep up with many different sites.

Over time, there will be fewer and fewer providers, eventually most of them will probably give up.  Especially the ones that created one or two fun apps.

It's far from ideal, yes. I think once the dust settles it will be fine. It could have been worse though, and I applaud Invision for offering a workable solution for itself and the developers. We could have all just been shut out from 3rd-party entirely, which I am sure was on the table at one point of the discussions.

Many of the authors of some of my plugins and apps have long since left the Invision developer community and I'm already engaging the pro-active and reputable ones to reproduce those that are genuinely needed. I'm using it as an opportunity for a "clean-up", to be honest.

On 9/18/2023 at 8:47 AM, Square Wheels said:

I gotta say, this is a pain.  I have to contact each provider, hope they have a site, then register, then keep up with many different sites.

Over time, there will be fewer and fewer providers, eventually most of them will probably give up.  Especially the ones that created one or two fun apps.

I agree, IPS has killed the ability to customize our communities.

Edited by gigantor

16 minutes ago, Balto said:

So what is going to happen with the plugins I am currently using on my website? Will they stop working on October 30th if I don't do something? Thank you.

Absolutely not!

Nothing on your installation will be changed, the only difference is the way how you'll install and upgrade them in the future.

On 9/29/2023 at 4:31 PM, Square Wheels said:

I'm not sure this is working well for end users.  I'm not seeing providers or able to find some of their sites.  I wonder if they were just scared away.

Oh well, as they start not working, I'll need to remove these site enhancements.

Providers directory is located here: https://invisioncommunity.com/third-party/providers-directory/

If you do not find someone you're looking for, have you contacted them? May just be they haven't finsihed setting up their website yet.

Could contain: Logo

I'd like to extend a public invitation to all IPS clients and the third-party community to celebrate the opening of the free listing of files on the Marketplace Directory of Invisioneer.org.  

https://www.invisioneer.org/marketplace/

What is the Marketplace Directory on Invisioneer.org?  

The Marketplace Directory is a free list of files by authors. Its goal is simple: a free, centralized list for you to browse third-party files.  

No files are sold or supported on the site itself. You will be redirected to the author's site for payment and support. 

You will find the Marketplace Directory to be immediately familiar:

• Same categories and structure as the IPS Marketplace
  • Same IP.Downloads app as the IPS Marketplace 

Over 300+ files have already been listed in the Marketplace Directory, and we hope more will be listed as developers and themers update their files.  

Why visit Marketplace Directory?  

The Marketplace Directory will never be a perfect substitute for the IPS Marketplace, which had deep integration with the ACP and directly processed payments on behalf of clients.  

However, as soon as it became known that IPS was shutting down its Marketplace, it became clear that clients would confusingly need to go to multiple websites. Purchased 5 plugins from 5 different developers? You need to visit 5 different sites for support and payment.   

The Marketplace Directory doesn't totally solve the problem, but it's a step in the right direction.  It consolidates files by authors who wish to list together, and makes file discovery and author tracking so much easier.  There is power in collaboration, and the Marketplace Directory is a great example of the most trusted third-party developers coming together in the spirit of community.  

What is Invisioneer.org?  

Invisioneer.org is a broader project of mine to offer a suite of resources to help IPS owners and admins launch better communities - and to hopefully learn alongside you.  It's my goal to build an "ecosystem of success" around IPS owners and admins as we compete and thrive together on the modern web:

• IPS helps you compete with community software
  • Third-party developers help you compete with themes and extensions
  • Invisioneer.org helps you compete with community strategy

My goal behind Invisioneer.org is to help you compete - and win - with the "soft skills" of community management that are just as important as the technology: crafting a community strategy, leading with emotional intelligence, and leveraging best practices from disciplines like behavioral economics, psychology, sociology, and leading community consultancies. 

The Marketplace Directory is an important part of Invisioneer.org, and one component of the ecosystem of success for IPS clients to leverage.  

What do I do with my files?  

Purchases and renewals have stopped on the IPS Marketplace, and the Marketplace itself will shut down on October 30 2023 according to IPS.  

To continue receiving support and updates to your active Marketplace files, you will need to transfer your purchases' license keys directly to the author. To find the license keys for all purchases, go to My Purchases.  

Active authors have posted information on their file descriptions or in the support topic about their own support sites.  If you purchased a file from a developer who doesn't have information yet, you will need to reach out to that author.    

Official IPS Blog: https://invisioncommunity.com/news/invision-community/marketplace-the-next-steps-r1286/

Edited by Joel R
Added links

56 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Could contain: Logo

I'd like to extend a public invitation to all IPS clients and the third-party community to celebrate the opening of the free listing of files on the Marketplace Directory of Invisioneer.org.  

https://www.invisioneer.org/marketplace/

What is the Marketplace Directory on Invisioneer.org?  

The Marketplace Directory is a free list of files by authors. Its goal is simple: a free, centralized list for you to browse third-party files.  

No files are sold or supported on the site itself. You will be redirected to the author's site for payment and support. 

You will find the Marketplace Directory to be immediately familiar:

• Same categories and structure as the IPS Marketplace
  • Same IP.Downloads app as the IPS Marketplace 

Over 300+ files have already been listed in the Marketplace Directory, and we hope more will be listed as developers and themers update their files.  

Why visit Marketplace Directory?  

The Marketplace Directory will never be a perfect substitute for the IPS Marketplace, which had deep integration with the ACP and directly processed payments on behalf of clients.  

However, as soon as it became known that IPS was shutting down its Marketplace, it became clear that clients would confusingly need to go to multiple websites. Purchased 5 plugins from 5 different developers? You need to visit 5 different sites for support and payment.   

The Marketplace Directory doesn't totally solve the problem, but it's a step in the right direction.  It consolidates files by authors who wish to list together, and makes file discovery and author tracking so much easier.  There is power in collaboration, and the Marketplace Directory is a great example of the most trusted third-party developers coming together in the spirit of community.  

What is Invisioneer.org?  

Invisioneer.org is a broader project of mine to offer a suite of resources to help IPS owners and admins launch better communities - and to hopefully learn alongside you.  It's my goal to build an "ecosystem of success" around IPS owners and admins as we compete and thrive together on the modern web:

• IPS helps you compete with community software
  • Third-party developers help you compete with themes and extensions
  • Invisioneer.org helps you compete with community strategy

My goal behind Invisioneer.org is to help you compete - and win - with the "soft skills" of community management that are just as important as the technology: crafting a community strategy, leading with emotional intelligence, and leveraging best practices from disciplines like behavioral economics, psychology, sociology, and leading community consultancies. 

The Marketplace Directory is an important part of Invisioneer.org, and one component of the ecosystem of success for IPS clients to leverage.  

What do I do with my files?  

Purchases and renewals have stopped on the IPS Marketplace, and the Marketplace itself will shut down on October 30 2023 according to IPS.  

To continue receiving support and updates to your active Marketplace files, you will need to transfer your purchases' license keys directly to the author. To find the license keys for all purchases, go to My Purchases.  

Active authors have posted information on their file descriptions or in the support topic about their own support sites.  If you purchased a file from a developer who doesn't have information yet, you will need to reach out to that author.    

Official IPS Blog: https://invisioncommunity.com/news/invision-community/marketplace-the-next-steps-r1286/

Between the IPS Cloud outages, the glances that I have seen look very good!  I hope this project takes off as a central point for 3rd party tools was what made the marketplace great!

With the 30th October fast approaching, will market place purchases  and keys still be available after the 30th. Some developers have still not got their sites setup or an alternative way of accessing brought files. Thank you

Edited by bearback

3 hours ago, bearback said:

With the 30th October fast approaching, will market place purchases  and keys still be available after the 30th. Some developers have still not got their sites setup or an alternative way of accessing brought files. Thank you

Yes, that license key information will be available for a good amount of time. You won't be able to download anything from the Marketplace after October 30th.