Introducing Community Hive

hmm, sorry to be negative here but to me this looks like an attempt to build a platform that could in the future monetize on your clients content who already pay to use service/software. If it works I think soon ads or sponsored/promoted content/feeds will follow. I don't think I will be using it.

And I certainly wish you used your resources to develop essential and needed aspects like enhancing the api so I can upload/use media galley pictures through pages api ,set meta keywords/description via api in pages api, certainly the presentation of the pages content template needs an upgrade an so on. Instead, we got the hive.

Charles, that comes from caring about invision and paying a lot of money for it too. I would focus on the api, presentation of the pages app, integrate to essential services like semrush, ahrefs, rankmath, create a social media sharing/marking/scheduling platforms etc. 

Edited by virap1

• Management
8 minutes ago, virap1 said:

Charles, that comes from caring about invision and paying a lot of money for it too. I would focus on the api, presentation of the pages app, integrate to essential services like semrush, ahrefs, rankmath, create a social media sharing/marking/scheduling platforms etc. 

Invision Community v5 is making huge progress. As I said, Community Hive's development team is not the same team that is improving Invision Community. So no need to be concerned 🙂 

• Management
26 minutes ago, Agent Shark said:

How would I go about adding my own site to the Community Hive directory?

In the next release of Invision Community (coming out in just a couple days) you will be able to add it. You can also do it on the beta release now if you’re feeling adventurous 🙂 

On 9/3/2023 at 3:26 AM, virap1 said:

hmm, sorry to be negative here but to me this looks like an attempt to build a platform that could in the future monetize on your clients content who already pay to use service/software. If it works I think soon ads or sponsored/promoted content/feeds will follow. I don't think I will be using it.

And I certainly wish you used your resources to develop essential and needed aspects like enhancing the api so I can upload/use media galley pictures through pages api ,set meta keywords/description via api in pages api, certainly the presentation of the pages content template needs an upgrade an so on. Instead, we got the hive.

I would encourage you to actually investigate Community Hive for yourself.  

If you did, you would discover Community Hive would be the worst advertising platform ever 😄.  It's entire goal is to push visitors to other sites (your community) as quickly as possible. The entire point is to not keep users on the site.  

Saw the update this morning and was about to jump aboard - then had a realisation.

We use the Templates app for our classifieds sub-forums, and much of the data/information is in fields that are displayed in the threads. Without testing, and just a quick ask, will that data be displayed in the "Hive" version?

This is my second comment here - the first one is for some reason not approved for publication. 

Maybe I am missing something here, but I really just don't get how this is supposed to work. I have enabled it on my site, created an account on Hive and I can see posts there (although it won't accept my uploaded logo for the account). 

My question is this; how is this going to benefit my members? How do they know to go to Community Hive to find a feed of the community content and discover other communities? 

On 9/7/2023 at 6:48 AM, FZ said:

This is my second comment here - the first one is for some reason not approved for publication. 

Maybe I am missing something here, but I really just don't get how this is supposed to work. I have enabled it on my site, created an account on Hive and I can see posts there (although it won't accept my uploaded logo for the account). 

My question is this; how is this going to benefit my members? How do they know to go to Community Hive to find a feed of the community content and discover other communities? 

I did have this thought as well as I activated it, because I couldn't actually see the Community Hive button anywhere on the site once set up.

But the button does appear for Guest users. So I imagine Community Hive is more for targeting non-users of your community (visitors), as another means of staying updated on your site's content. But maybe I'm missing something here.

(By the way, I found that I couldn't upload my community avatar on the CH website on Chrome browser either, but it worked on Safari. Maybe try a different browser)

@Matt random question about the interface for Community Hive - will there be elements of this that will also make its way to Invision Community V5? The  'social media-style' "following" and "discover" feeds on the main homepage is something that I think could be used to re-imagine the Activity Feed a little, by giving users a UI that they are familiar with. Just curious.

7 minutes ago, CheersnGears said:

We all need to send out readers there so they discover our sites. This is effective a community of communities.

Doesn’t make sense to me. If I’ve already captured the reader, I could encourage him/her to sign up and follow my site, on my actual site. Or, I could send him/her packing and hope he/she follows my site  on CH and doesn’t find too much other content. Everyone’s time is limited. Sending someone away, where there is competing content, makes no sense to me. 

• Management
2 minutes ago, Chris027 said:

Doesn’t make sense to me. If I’ve already captured the reader, I could encourage him/her to sign up and follow my site, on my actual site. Or, I could send him/her packing and hope he/she follows my site  on CH and doesn’t find too much other content. Everyone’s time is limited. Sending someone away, where there is competing content, makes no sense to me. 

When you encourage people to follow your site on Community Hive your users get a feed of our your community combined with other communities they are interested in. Your community gets more exposure the more engagement it gets. So it's a win-win for both you and the members. The members get one place to go to see activity from all the communities they follow and an opportunity to find new communities. You get push notifications, an email newsletter, search, and more without any cost. You also get exposure of your community to countless new people.

All that said, I do not think Community Hive is a good fit for community managers who view their community as a walled garden where they own "MY users."

2 minutes ago, Chris027 said:

Visiting forums is not a zero sum game.  In fact, if we cooperated more closely as site admins, we’d do better than we do now. I am already looking at ways to use community hive to work with sites similar to my own to cite topics of interest on other sites on my own site
I’m a general car news site but I can see me citing Pontiac Forums on my site when I see a particularly interesting topic. 

It would be a topic of discussion for my users and send some traffic to the Pontiac forums guy. Ideally other sites would do the same.

I think it’s a mistake to be jealous of our traffic to other sites at our level. We are not Facebook. Sure, keep traffic from Facebook, but share amongst us smaller-than-Facebook sites. We’ve had very good results from sharing traffic with “competitors”

• Management

We believe in the power of an owned community. However, we also believe the age of "my community as an island" is over and it is imperative that community managers engage with the ocean of the wider internet rather than putting walls around their little islands.

We made Community Hive as a step in the direction of allowing your community to be part of a larger network. With that same mindset, it is also why we are opening it up to other platforms.

With the implosion of social media, now is the time to broaden your horizons and avoid putting up more walls.

Community Hive is only one piece of a broader strategy we have that will take time to implement. IPS does not just view itself as a software company churning out a "ye olde forum script." We see ourselves as a community solutions company and solutions can take many forms.

I posted this same message on Community Hive as it would be best to chat about Community Hive... on Community Hive 😉