Yes, I know PHP 8.2 is not currently supported. I'm starting this topic for the eventual discussion and to possibly help IPS with support in the future.

I moved my site to 8.2 this morning, and it seems to be running fine so far.  I will log any errors or issues I spot in this thread.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/18/2024 at 2:09 PM, Stuart Silvester said:

PHP 8.2 will be fully supported in Invision Community 5.

Whilst it may work with earlier versions such as 4.7, it isn't officially supported (there may be issues) and will likely mean that developers mode is unusable..

Glad to hear as PHP 8.1 does not support ImageMagick, but PHP 8.0 and 8.2 do, so that issue might need to be addressed for people not upgrading to v5

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2024 at 8:06 PM, ghinton said:

Glad to hear as PHP 8.1 does not support ImageMagick, but PHP 8.0 and 8.2 do, so that issue might need to be addressed for people not upgrading to v5

ImageMagick appears to be supported?

Could contain: Page, Text

Could contain: Page, Text

One issue with PHP 8.2+ as far as I can tell, is that in Dev mode some pages act funny, with a bunch of our plugins that use the apparently standard IPB construct 'return \call_user_func_array( 'parent::' . __FUNCTION__, \func_get_args() );', throwing deprecation and Exceptioning out of most pages. 

You can of course disable deprecations in php.ini (```error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT```)

But then the 'get support' page doesn't load, unless you hack some PHP code like this into the top of the core support.php file (```error_reporting(E_ALL | E_STRICT);```). It's possible that under 8.2 / dev / prod mode it's also throwing other errors.

Finding a php.ini error_reporting config that works for both use cases does not seem to exist. Looking forward to PHP 8.2 support soon.

On 1/18/2024 at 8:09 PM, Stuart Silvester said:

PHP 8.2 will be fully supported in Invision Community 5.

Whilst it may work with earlier versions such as 4.7, it isn't officially supported (there may be issues) and will likely mean that developers mode is unusable..

just to let you know: for us and especially our admins, it would be helpfull if you could synchronize the supported php version with the one supported by the actual stable debian packages.

Well @Stuart Silvester wrote that it isn't supported. I didn't read any definite "won't be supported". In my humble opinion, this may have originated from a more optimistic release expectation date for v5. If this new release get delayed, how will it look that a current product in its latest stable version (v4) requires an unsupported PHP version?

1 hour ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Im a little confused by this. Are you saying they dont support php 8.1 and 8.2?

dear marc, nice to hear from you; php8.1 is not in the official debian repositories. they (our admins) hate it when we install php with using sury. most likely because safety and other standards. when you officially support only 8.1 (and when we have problems like my colleague described above) we can't use the 8.2 debian php package and have to install 8.1 from sury. or the admins have to build an own package. i think ipb/ips is the only software package we use which forces us to do such things.
i hope you are well, best regards.

Edited by taz.de

8 minutes ago, taz.de said:

dear marc, php8.1 is not in the official debian repositories. they (our admins) hate it when we install php with using sury. most likely because safety and other standards. when you officially support only 8.1 (and when we have problems like my colleague described above) we can't use the 8.2 debian php package and have to install 8.1 from sury. or the admins have to build an own package. i think ipb/ips is the only software package we use which forces us to do such things.
i hope you are well, best regards.

Sorry to hear that is the case. As mentioned, we are indeed providing support for PHP 8.2 in our next major release of the platform.

11 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Sorry to hear that is the case. As mentioned, we are indeed providing support for PHP 8.2 in our next major release of the platform.

i understood that. using the debian packages as a guide for switching php versions was just a suggestion. because ipb asked us to update, we upgraded to php8. first to 8.2, then to 8.1 because of problems.

5 minutes ago, Sonya* said:

I am not an admin myself. But my community runs with 8.2 without issues. My server administrator says, all his customers run their IPS communities with 8.2. 😬

i am glad to hear that you don't have any issues what is good for you. we had the above issues with the debian 8.2 packages which lead to apache segfaults on our server when /admin/?app=core&module=support&controller=support was called.