Can't seem to get FB/Instagram OEmbed working.

Go to solution Solved by Stuart Silvester,

Hi,

I think this guide is outdated as the OEmbed product no longer exists and is replaced OEmbed Read: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/features-reference/oembed-read/

I've set up the community with the App ID and App Secret yet still cannot get instagram embeds to show up. Do I need to submit the app for App Review? Even though I only just want standard access and it says "Ready to use" with standard access? Can someone help me figure out how to get this?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 9.48.50 AM.png

On 3/26/2022 at 5:49 PM, Planet Hanyu said:

Hi,

I think this guide is outdated as the OEmbed product no longer exists and is replaced OEmbed Read: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/features-reference/oembed-read/

I've set up the community with the App ID and App Secret yet still cannot get instagram embeds to show up. Do I need to submit the app for App Review? Even though I only just want standard access and it says "Ready to use" with standard access? Can someone help me figure out how to get this?

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2022-03-26 at 9.48.50 AM.png

Hello,

I have exactly the same problem and exactly the same authorizations in my Facebook App. Maybe we need the "ADVANCED ACCESS" instead of "STANDARD ACCESS" in the "Access level"? I have requested the advanced access, but I don't know if and when Facebook will authorize this.

Is it possible to make it work without the Advanced Access?

Thank you!

Update: I have requested the Advanced Access to Facebook, which has been authorized and now Facebook and Instagram embed posts work!

The only problem I still have is that Instagram posts are blank after they get embed:

image.png.5f43bb4eb6ac4272cadbca053b2680dc.png

Any idea what is causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Do you have an example post I can look at?

I have copied two links here: https://totallympics.com/topic/10978-nations-pages-template/?do=findComment&comment=462486

Link1 (video): https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cb9rcgEKrzH/

Link2 (picture): https://www.instagram.com/p/Cb8IxqarggV/

image.png.0fa1929dafd2a24aab128283aa1f13b4.png

This is not an authorization problem, because after I have got the Advanced Access to the Facebook App's Oembed Read, the Facebook posts are now working (they weren't before I got that authorization).

Thank you!

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

47 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

We would need to look further into this for you, however the access details on file appear to be incorrect or missing. Could you please update these details by visiting your client area, selecting the relevant purchase, then clicking "Review/Update Access Information" under the "Stored Access Information" section. 

We look forward to further assisting you. 

I have updated them, please let me know if it works. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, marklcfc said:

Where is the option to seelct oembed now? Not that it'll work

As far as I know, there is no "option" to select oembed, you just have to copy-paste a Facebook/Instagram/Twitter link. With Twitter the post will be embed, with Facebook and Instagram it wouldn't without the Facebook App authorization.

5 minutes ago, Balto said:

As far as I know, there is no "option" to select oembed, you just have to copy-paste a Facebook/Instagram/Twitter link. With Twitter the post will be embed, with Facebook and Instagram it wouldn't without the Facebook App authorization.

I tried this months ago following the old guide and nothing ever worked. Absolutely clueless what to do with it 

1 hour ago, marklcfc said:

I tried this months ago following the old guide and nothing ever worked. Absolutely clueless what to do with it 

First of all, do you already have a Facebook app? From the Facebook developer page everything looks complicated and they ask you hundreds of information, but I have skipped most of the questions and they have accepted my request anyway.

Having taken a look at the description of the new access items, you would need advanced access, so would need to request that as you are not embedding only things you have posted on your own account

Advanced Access must be requested through App Review to access data owned by people outside your business.

12 minutes ago, Balto said:

First of all, do you already have a Facebook app? From the Facebook developer page everything looks complicated and they ask you hundreds of information, but I have skipped most of the questions and they have accepted my request anyway.

I just have an app for login purposes, I was creating a new one for this but never worked

Edited by marklcfc

18 minutes ago, Marc Stridgen said:

Having taken a look at the description of the new access items, you would need advanced access, so would need to request that as you are not embedding only things you have posted on your own account

Hello Marc,

I have requested and obtained the Advanced Access on my Facebook App:

image.thumb.png.bff117148b2906b62d53432c55256246.png

Before requesting it, I was not able to embed any Facebook/Instagram post (here it was the error message I got). But now that I have the Advanced Access for Oembed Read almost everything works fine: Facebook posts are embed and correct, Instagram posts are embed but shown as blank.

So I think this is a problem of Invision Community with the Instagram posts, and not of the Facebook App authorizations.

So to summarize the situation is like that.

With Facebook App Standard Access:

Twitter posts are embed in the post and they work fine 👍

Facebook posts are not embed in the post 

Instagram posts are not embed in the post

With Facebook App Advanced Access:

Twitter posts are embed in the post and they work fine 👍

Facebook posts are embed in the post and they work fine 👍

Instagram posts are embed in the post but they do not work

5 hours ago, Stuart Silvester said:

The Instagram embeds now appear to be functioning correctly. A number of customers reported the same thing but the embeds were still loading in the software. This appears to have been an issue on Instagram.

I still do not see the posts directly in the post.

Do you see the Instagram post embed in this post? https://totallympics.com/topic/10978-nations-pages-template/?do=findComment&comment=462773

This is what I see:

image.thumb.png.9b040b9b7e3c0db4f1fbc17e519c0e40.png

And here is a video to show you what happens on my side when I copy-paste an Instagram link into the post:

With Facebook and Twitter posts everything works fine, but with Instagram the embed doesn't show in the post.

8 hours ago, Nathan Explosion said:

I'm willing to bet that you have the "Facebook Container" extension installed in your Firefox browser.

Without:

image.thumb.png.13944d8d1da4453aee405fd1c28e5336.png

With:

image.thumb.png.25739b606e15ae90a62fae2cdf7734b0.png

If so, this is your friend:

image.thumb.png.75171e0e573dac3ad9ac0dc247025854.png

No, I do not have Facebook Container installed in my Firefox (AGGIUNGI A FIREFOX means "add to Firefox" so it means this is not installed in my browser):

image.thumb.png.3e7ef70d4a628097a9726d43e5c062ab.png

But you are right, I also can see the Instagram posts on Edge and Chrome.

Is there any other Facebook option I should change to avoid Instagram posts to be hidden?

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...