Mariadb - which version to use

I've been using 10.3 for the last few years and after reading that some improvements for InnoDB were in 10.5 was wondering whether I should upgrade to 10.5 or 10.6. What is suggested?

One thing I noticed in the changes was this though

What is also important to keep in mind is that InnoDB in 10.5 will be, due to the changes, will be incompatible with InnoDB in 10.4. The upgrade will be one-way only, you should plan your upgrade process accordingly.

On 9/14/2021 at 1:56 PM, marklcfc said:

I've been using 10.3 for the last few years and after reading that some improvements for InnoDB were in 10.5 was wondering whether I should upgrade to 10.5 or 10.6. What is suggested?

One thing I noticed in the changes was this though

I am also interested in this upgrade from 10.4 to 10.5. Waiting for replies.

I setup a test install of my 4.4.x forum recently so I could start work on upgrading it to 4.6.x.  As part of this process, I replaced MySQL with MariaDB 10.5 and it seems to work well.  The upgrade from 4.4.x to 4.6.6 ran fine.  No idea if it's faster or slower than MySQL since right now I'm the only one hitting it, but I will try to do some load testing before I make this change on the production server.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I am currently running 4.3 and 4.4  Invision versions on a php 7.2 server  which they will update to 7.4  imminently. 
The serveradmin just asked me if its ok to also at the same time update to 10.3 Maria db  (which they have running) 

because my server still has  10.1 maria db. 

1) Will I be ok with Mariadb 10.3   for now? 

2) and, when in the future I will update to php 8  for  4.7 invision,   should i watch out for something with the Mariadb version  ? Will it also have to be renewed updated once more ? 

thanks in advance 

Edited by MeMaBlue

For what it's worth, I'm currently running IPB 4.7 on MariaDB 4.6.8 and PHP 8.0.8 with no issues whatsoever.  Because my VPS allows me to switch PHP versions with the click of a button, I've even done some preliminary testing with PHP 8.1 and have had no problems with that either.

Edited by LiquidFractal

14 hours ago, LiquidFractal said:

For what it's worth, I'm currently running IPB 4.7 on MariaDB 4.6.8 and PHP 8.0.8 with no issues whatsoever.  Because my VPS allows me to switch PHP versions with the click of a button, I've even done some preliminary testing with PHP 8.1 and have had no problems with that either.

Whoops!  Obviously meant to say MariaDB 10.6.8 🙄 lol