Font Awesome 5

Hello.

So I know there is a plugin on the marketplace to enable Font Awesome 5 support. However when will IPS OFFICIALLY support FA 5 ?

Font Awesome is moving to its 6th generation and IPS is currently on 4.7. 

It would make life easier for any of us using Font Awesome if IPS were to follow the latest stable versions :).

8 hours ago, David.. said:

How did you add manually?

1. Go to FontAwesome
  2. Create an account
  3. Go to manage kits
  4. Create a kit (I use Free Webfont)
  5. Make sure you enable version 4 compability
  6. Copy the code at the top of how to use
  7. Go to your theme and edit templates
  8. Open globalTemplate and paste the code just before the </head>
  9. Save.
  10. Done 🙂

• 6 months later...
On 7/14/2021 at 5:58 AM, Jimi Wikman said:
  1. Go to FontAwesome
  2. Create an account
  3. Go to manage kits
  4. Create a kit (I use Free Webfont)
  5. Make sure you enable version 4 compability
  6. Copy the code at the top of how to use
  7. Go to your theme and edit templates
  8. Open globalTemplate and paste the code just before the </head>
  9. Save.
  10. Done 🙂

Done, followed the instructions. Now for the stupid question... where does one access/use/access the icons in the front end or the admincp. I can't for the life of me see where I get to 'use' the icons.

🤓🙃

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
6 hours ago, Gary said:

Whether it is introduced into our core is another matter, however I will bring this to the attention of the team and will come back with any information for those that are interested.

I really hope that FA is someday integrated into the core. Also, if it ever is, remember that some of us have a FA PRO account which should somehow be incorporated. Of course, for now, we can all thank @aXenDev for his app.

With their current page-view based tiers, I can’t see how it would make sense as a core feature. Sure, there would be a few who would be willing to pay for it, but what about the 98% who wouldn’t? What would they see? It would at least need a fallback solution, in which case, IPS could just implement that and wouldn’t have to bother with the Font Awesome implementation in the first place. The only reason FontAwesome 4.7 made it into the product was that it was free and there were no limitations. If the system changes, it would probably better to find a different free solution. 

Edited by opentype

6 hours ago, opentype said:

With their current page-view based tiers, I can’t see how it would make sense as a core feature. Sure, there would be a few who would be willing to pay for it, but what about the 98% who wouldn’t? What would they see? It would at least need a fallback solution, in which case, IPS could just implement that and wouldn’t have to bother with the Font Awesome implementation in the first place. The only reason FontAwesome 4.7 made it into the product was that it was free and there were no limitations. If the system changes, it would probably better to find a different free solution. 

Doesn't this only apply to kits? https://fontawesome.com/docs/web/setup/use-kit

Pageviews

Included pageviews per month on sites using Font Awesome Kits.

See also https://github.com/FortAwesome/vue-fontawesome/issues/220

To do this correctly, many changes are needed to both HTML and CSS, not to mention 3rd party apps which use the 4.x icons.

FontAwesome does provide a “backwards compatible” file which lets you use both the 4.x and 6.x code simultaneously, however it’s a fair amount of code which would impact loading times even further.

Supporting Font Awesome 6 has been on my radar for a while now and unless my current plan changes, FA6 will be included by default in a future version, likely as part of a major rebuild. I don’t have any further information on that just yet, but your feedback has most definitely been heard 🙂 

• 2 months later...