Amazon SES API For Sending Mail

AlexWebsites

@Lucas James are you using amazon ses via smtp? If so, do you find its a little slow when posting in your forum? Ever since I switched to Amazon SES from Sparkpost API, seems slower.

Would love to see IPS make the API a sending method as a native feature like sendgrid, but would settle for a plugin like the sparkpost api plugins made by @HeadStand and @Callum MacGregor

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I moved to GSuite myself from Sendgrid. Paying $20/month just to get issues with Hotmail e-mails being blocked because of IP reputation issues caused by other clients, and I'm sure not paying $100/month just for a dedicated IP so I can avoid issues I had less often sending mail locally from my server.

image.png.19d3490300580b67bc2779cfd13715c9.png

Google Suite seems to just work. You also get to set an avatar for users that use the GMail app to see. I considered Amazon SES before moving to GSuite but never have tried it, so not sure how the deliverability is in comparison.

The main limitations with GSuite are that it's a little more of a pain to set up, it requires SMTP (there's no API, though I mean, it's Google, so even their SMTP servers are reasonably fast) and there's hard-capped sending limits (3,000/day was the old advertised limit for G Suite but I've seen posts suggesting it can be up to 10,000/day).

Amazon SES is very cost effective for large communities. I haven’t tried gsuite outside of small clients I’ve helped. I’m not sure what the cost would be especially if you sent a newsletter out to thousands of members. Email reputation is a huge part of deliverability, so I also use mailbouncer. The main reason I mention Amazon SES API is because posting delays seem to happen more with SMTP than an API method.

Thing is my sender reputation with Sendgrid was a solid 98%-99% and I still had issues. May just be bad luck on my part, but two weeks with constant support tickets coming in about Hotmail clients not getting validation e-mails made me cut ties only two months after signing up with them.

Amazon SES is definitely cost effective and their deliverability rates may be better, I don't know. It's really hard to find good data on raw delivery rates between these services outside of what's anecdotal.

GSuite I think is amazing for standard notification e-mails for medium to large forums but definitely is not a solution if you need to batch out 10k+ e-mails in a single day.

That said, I do 100% support adding native Amazon SES integration into IPS, as it is a very reputable solution especially for corporate/enterprise clients and does deserve its own spot beside Sendgrid.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm going to hold off getting this plugin developed to see if functionality will be added to 4.5. I wasn't able to get an answer from IPS support either way, which now forces me to just wait and see I guess. On smaller things like this, it would be nice to know what's planned and what is not on a roadmap. Used to be  where feature suggestions were tagged as "planned" or not, which was nice.

• 2 months later...
On 4/14/2020 at 2:18 PM, AlexWebsites said:

I'm going to hold off getting this plugin developed to see if functionality will be added to 4.5. I wasn't able to get an answer from IPS support either way, which now forces me to just wait and see I guess. On smaller things like this, it would be nice to know what's planned and what is not on a roadmap. Used to be  where feature suggestions were tagged as "planned" or not, which was nice.

Any word on this? Available in 4.5? 

Edited by AlexJ

I was a huge fan of Amazon SES. I used SendGrid until it started costing several hundred dollars per month to send emails. I switched to SES and everything was good and inexpensive. Then Amazon decided to block my account because of a crazy plugin glitch that sent hundreds of emails per second for an hour before I could stop it. Working with Amazon to get my account unblocked was impossible. Email exchanges took days and there was zero clarity about how to work with them in the future. I didn't want to deal with Amazon anymore because it's a terrible company to work with as a small business.

I switched to sending email from my own server. This is also a nightmare because now I have to work with ISPs from around the world who block my email for no good reason. One German ISP won't pass my email to its customers until I put my complete physical address on my website. I can't do that because I've received threats in the past. 

Edited by Chris027

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 11:21 AM, Chris027 said:

I was a huge fan of Amazon SES. I used SendGrid until it started costing several hundred dollars per month to send emails. I switched to SES and everything was good and inexpensive. Then Amazon decided to block my account because of a crazy plugin glitch that sent hundreds of emails per second for an hour before I could stop it. Working with Amazon to get my account unblocked was impossible. Email exchanges took days and there was zero clarity about how to work with them in the future. I didn't want to deal with Amazon anymore because it's a terrible company to work with as a small business.

I switched to sending email from my own server. This is also a nightmare because now I have to work with ISPs from around the world who block my email for no good reason. One German ISP won't pass my email to its customers until I put my complete physical address on my website. I can't do that because I've received threats in the past. 

How did you configure Amazon SES? Any tips?  How much it would cost for sending 1200 emails/day

7 hours ago, AlexJ said:

How did you configure Amazon SES? Any tips?  How much it would cost for sending 1200 emails/day

It’s $0.10 for every 1000 emails. See https://aws.amazon.com/ses/pricing/

Because there is no plugin or native API support, you have to use SMTP. https://docs.aws.amazon.com/ses/latest/DeveloperGuide/send-email-smtp.html

• 1 month later...