Spam bot

Steven Thacher

My community seems to be getting hit by a decent spam bot as its making past cloudflare browser check and reCAPTCHA V2. Bot seems to use a bunch of random outlook.com emails then just post a bunch of Chinese crap. I want to temporarily block outlook.com emails from registering but I cant seem to find that option.

Only thing I see it to generate a list of emails that are allowed to register.

reg.thumb.PNG.05433ae0fa9bc342b9138bd4affa65ef.PNG

In the mean time I will be trying out keyCAPTCHA see if that helps.

11 minutes ago, Steven Thacher said:

Yes they are posting a bunch. I did look at your suite, can I exempt one sub forum? I do have a Chinese section.

That’s actually an amazing idea which I’ve out to our internet suggestions tracker becsuse I can see it being helpful to many people. 

On 7/15/2018 at 7:41 PM, Fosters said:

That’s actually an amazing idea which I’ve out to our internet suggestions tracker because I can see it being helpful to many people. 

Well you can call off your bot I bought your plugin ? Only kidding. But the bot has gotten way worse, so Ill give your plugin a go hopefully it works I'm tried of manually flagging all the members.

• 2 weeks later...

We never had a lot of problems with captcha V1. When deprecated we moved to V2 earlier this year and pfff that wasn't fun. Tweaked a whole bunch of settings and there didn't seem to be a decrease. Sure I heard about the invision built-in anti spam as an alternative to Google's prior to upgrading from IPB3 to IPS4.x, but that can be no good, right? ? Nevertheless, we decided to give it a spin for a few days, and ... its fantastic. Zero spam since then. 

BTW to bypass captcha? Has always been easy thanks to sites + scripts like http://www.deathbycaptcha.com 

• 4 months later...

Those posts appear to have been posted after someone registered with the user name "tingtinghehe11"

If that's true, and your "Flag as Spammer" parameters are set to delete posted content, you don't need to select all their posts and delete them. Just flag the account as Spam and all their posts will be deleted (it may take a short while to delete them as it's a background task).

29 minutes ago, Mark H said:

Those posts appear to have been posted after someone registered with the user name "tingtinghehe11"

If that's true, and your "Flag as Spammer" parameters are set to delete posted content, you don't need to select all their posts and delete them. Just flag the account as Spam and all their posts will be deleted (it may take a short while to delete them as it's a background task).

Sure but the background task takes too long, sometimes it stalls for hours. 

12 minutes ago, Lauren3 said:

Sure but the background task takes too long, sometimes it stalls for hours. 

What method are you using to run the background tasks? The default setting? If yes, is your forum active? Does it have regular logged in members? The task is called by the logged in members, so if you have none, it won't proceed. You should probably switch the method

1 hour ago, Daniel F said:

What method are you using to run the background tasks? The default setting? If yes, is your forum active? Does it have regular logged in members? The task is called by the logged in members, so if you have none, it won't proceed. You should probably switch the method

Default, but my forum is very active, so it's not a problem.

Archived